Thread: Argh...practice!

User Info Menu

Default Argh...practice!

So, erm, I realised that i've not been practicing properly at all for like...
    Well, months really.
    All that happens is I sit down on the kit and just jam out for ages, completely Keith Mooning it (that's right, it's a verb now!). It's fun. I'm good. But I could be, and should be, so much better. I think I'm having the same problem as Ringo; I've run out of ideas. And I'm trying to do things that are beyond my skill level without properly learning them, so they don't sound right...basically, I'm a little lax on my discipline and learning, and need to start playing properly again.
    So I sat down today and got out the old iPod and skimmed through a couple of hard songs. Man, was I in for a shock! I've been so used to egotistically nailing easy songs from bands like RATM and QOTSA that I've missed out on learning the really tricksy and beneficial stuff. I had a shot at several Smashing Pumpkin songs, and have come to the conclusion that Jimmy Chamberlin is an absolute beast, as well as this really amazing, kinda jazzy song by Muse (video here, check out the main groove http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5AOGTbpRw) and I have to say, I didn't get them at all.
    It's exciting. I haven't felt this challenged in a long time.
    I'm going to look around for drum teachers again, and see if some jazz cat can teach me, and grade me even; my current teacher, whilst really good, doesn't provide the kind of tuition that I want. I've also gone back to Bonham, which is where I was this time last year, and now I'm hearing all these new awesome stuff in his playing...aha. I feel so giddy right now. It's awesome.

So. Anyway. I'm going back to square one on my playing. Has anyone got some advice they want to share with me, something that'll help me practice?
    much love, very appreciated, et all.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Argh...practice!

Jimmy Chamberlin is amazing!!! Love his stuff!

User Info Menu

Cool, it sounds like your really enthusiastic about it all (and yes Chamberlain is amazing!) What i would say though is i think as long as you enjoy it you should pursue it. Do what you enjoy doing. I think drumming should be about having fun and stuff rather than learning things with a military discipline (unless that's what you enjoy). After all, that what school/work is for...

User Info Menu

i feel like i'm running out of things to learn, then I go to my drum teacher and he shows me something amazing to work on. Makes me a better player, makes HIM worth the money. haha
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Do what you enjoy doing. I think drumming should be about having fun and stuff rather than learning things with a military discipline (unless that's what you enjoy). After all, that what school/work is for...
    I really enjoy learning new and exciting stuff though, I love the feeling of self satisfaction I get from grasping a really hard beat. At the minute, I just feel like I'm stuck in groundhog day, going over the same thing again and again; it's hard to make the effort to break out...
    Honestly, I want to make a career out of this, in which case I really need to push myself a little further with my learning and my playing.

User Info Menu

Hey Ethel, Great post, You seem to already be aware of what you need to do, A good teacher will definatley give you lots of things to set you on the right path, having a weekly practise schedule and material that you have to get down for his perusal will definatley keep you from [mooning it!!, I like that one ]
    Im not sure how long you have been playing or your command of the rudiments> but for the tune you posted, I would practise doubles/ paradiddles and I would definately work on a press/buzz roll.
    It would also be a good idea to get in the habit of warming up with singles doubles and paradiddles for 20/30 mins, min.
    Go find a teacher that makes your jaw drop!! all the best Rat.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I forgot to ask!! Have you studied any dvd's from any top players?
    I Have always found that when I need some motivation to hit the skins all I need to do is pop along to a drum seminar, or simply load a weckle or hernandez dvd, and I get the urge.
    Being a pro drummer is a long hard road buddy but im sure you will get there, thing is If you find a great teacher, your road will be a lot less bumpy and you will at least be driving on the right side of it.

Im gonna pick the tommy igoe's dvd soon coz so many guy's are raving about it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I really enjoy learning new and exciting stuff though, I love the feeling of self satisfaction I get from grasping a really hard beat. At the minute, I just feel like I'm stuck in groundhog day, going over the same thing again and again; it's hard to make the effort to break out...
    Honestly, I want to make a career out of this, in which case I really need to push myself a little further with my learning and my playing.

Sweet, in that case go for it! Good luck with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Hey Ethel, Great post, You seem to already be aware of what you need to do, A good teacher will definatley give you lots of things to set you on the right path, having a weekly practise schedule and material that you have to get down for his perusal will definatley keep you from [mooning it!!, I like that one ]
    Im not sure how long you have been playing or your command of the rudiments> but for the tune you posted, I would practise doubles/ paradiddles and I would definately work on a press/buzz roll.
    It would also be a good idea to get in the habit of warming up with singles doubles and paradiddles for 20/30 mins, min.
    Go find a teacher that makes your jaw drop!! all the best Rat.
    Thanks man! I do have a warm up routine where I practice paradiddles, doubles and singles for like 10 minutes (to get myself moving), then I push as hard as I can, learn and grasp the harder, more complex rudiments, experiment with accent patterns and stuff, before working on advance techniques and learning songs; that's my practice schedule but I find it hard to stick to it sometimes, because I do most of it off the kit. Usually, I make up most of the patterns I practice. I was trying to do a 16th one handed rhythm the other day, accenting each 3rd hit with the right hand and having the left keep the backbeat...I got lost working it out!
    I got the groove to the tune I was learning within 4/5 listens to it; it was a matter of applying it to the kit that I struggled with. It's hard because of the bass drum, to be honest, but that's it really...
    Still looking for a teacher. I'm getting strapped on cash though...aha. There are few DVDs around that I want, though I'm considering the ones you've suggested. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Just a little narcissistic update...
    I've started practicing stuff on the kit now, a lot more than I used to. I stole one of my sister's music stands, so now I'm going through all my old copies of Rhythm, learning the examples in each one, as well as this awesome book full of independence rhythms and Latin/Afro Caribbean grooves and stuff.
    Basically, I've seen my playing improve about 10 fold. I'm nailing songs again, my bass drum has, for some reason, become amazingly good, and I'm beginning to get my creativity back.
    I'm so happy right now :D