Thread: Practice schedule

User Info Menu

Default Practice schedule

As I sit down and try to decide how I will practice today, I realize how loose my practice schedule is and wonder what kind of regimen you all are using if any. Sometimes I practice out of a book, sometimes I try to figure out a song off of Youtube or a CD or other times i'll just try to figure out some quirky beat in my head...not much structure.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice schedule

Lately, I have been just playing to the IPod. I need to plan a regimen myself. I know what I want to do, but do not always do what I think!

My Practice pad gets the most practice!

User Info Menu

Practice Regimen:

I.
    A. Warm Up's: R R R R... 100 sets of these followed by 100 sets of L L L L. Maintain strict tempo. Over ensuing practices, vary the temp and gradually increase.

B. Each practice should have 1 0r 2 pre-determined Rudiments that need attention.

II. Method books for reading exercises: Syncopation by Ted Reed; All American Drummer or 14 Contest Drum Solos for rudimental solo practice.

III. Drumset practice:
    A. Pre-determined drum fill or fills to work for purposes of sticking and timing.

B. Method book study: Drummers' Cook Book (rock patterns); Advance Techniques for Modern Drummer (Jim Chapin).

C. Personal choice for beat practice...Songo, from Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials

D. Play along to choice of music, chart etc.

20 minutes to each of these three sections will give you an excellent practice routine for 1 hour. As with any regimen, you can vary a plan such as this to fit your particular needs.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks Fiacovas. When you say 100 sets of LLLL and RRRR. are you saying that keep a tempo 400 times each hand?

User Info Menu

The Songo is jaw dropping!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Practice Regimen:

I.
    A. Warm Up's: R R R R... 100 sets of these followed by 100 sets of L L L L. Maintain strict tempo. Over ensuing practices, vary the temp and gradually increase.

B. Each practice should have 1 0r 2 pre-determined Rudiments that need attention.

II. Method books for reading exercises: Syncopation by Ted Reed; All American Drummer or 14 Contest Drum Solos for rudimental solo practice.

III. Drumset practice:
    A. Pre-determined drum fill or fills to work for purposes of sticking and timing.

B. Method book study: Drummers' Cook Book (rock patterns); Advance Techniques for Modern Drummer (Jim Chapin).

C. Personal choice for beat practice...Songo, from Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials

20 minutes to each of these three sections will give you an excellent practice routine for 1 hour. As with any regimen, you can vary a plan such as this to fit your particular needs.
    Great approach , all I can add is make sure you get no distractions, kids tv dog etc etc. I hate being interrupted, lock me in the basement and leave me alone....

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJWVista View Post
    Thanks Fiacovas. When you say 100 sets of LLLL and RRRR. are you saying that keep a tempo 400 times each hand?

Yes, that's 400 times with each hand maintaining tempo. It goes by faster than you think. By the time I'm done with that, the hands and wrists are very limber and stretched. No cramping or fatique or aches.

User Info Menu

Practice Regimen:

I.

III. Drumset practice:

That's great advice. I think I'll try that as well.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

What I'm doing right now:
    1.Play to 10 songs
    2.Play rudiments for hands and feet for 30 minutes altogether
    3.Practice a song for about 20 minutes
    4.Play to metronome for 20 minutes

I don't usually do all those things but when I do I feel pretty well rounded in the end. Don't listen to me though, these are just ideas.
    Jail?

User Info Menu

Man that songo beat is the devil. I need an Advil just thinking about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJWVista View Post
    Man that songo beat is the devil. I need an Advil just thinking about it.

Haha..it can be a real "B" to play but it is fun.

User Info Menu

Haha..it can be a real "B" to play but it is fun.
    Is Igoe doing something unusual with the songo? does he lay it out between hats snare and kick ? or does he get real funky?

I think i will have to check out his vid,
    its called groove essentials right?
    can u let me know what the exact title is please, thx.

Official cowbell hater.