Thread: Remo pinstripe on snare?

User Info Menu

Default Remo pinstripe on snare?

I was complaining of the over ring on my snare and noticed it has a remo pinstripe on it. I bought it that way used. wondering if the pinstripe is supposed to be used on a snare and maybe thats why it rings so bad..?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo pinstripe on snare?

doubt it bud,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

MP, I really don't think about pinstripes on a snare, but it can be done, and it can control some of the overring. Coated pinstripes would cut the overring even more. I used a RemO dampening ring on my stock snare head (Gretsch Catalina Maple kit) until I decided to go with an Evans Genera HD Dry batter head. Man, I fell in love with the sound of my snare all over again! I like my toms to sing, but I like my snare a bit more controlled (at the moment).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

remeber you do not want to kill to much of the overtones if you are playing live with a band or you will never be heard in the mix.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's why I said "at the moment." I am still learning, and I'm really not playing live all that much yet. I guess I'm really hoping that I won't end up being a senior pastor in a multi-pastor church before I get a chance to cut loose in a praise band at least once!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

right now my snare drum i have has one of the Ludwig silver-dot heads. The head was part of the collection of music gear my bud and i bought at a school closing auction. It isn't bad sounding. For me it doesn't matter a real lot though since i play drums for my own music anyway. Normally, i would put a Remo Emperor batter on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yeah, that's why I said "at the moment." I am still learning, and I'm really not playing live all that much yet. I guess I'm really hoping that I won't end up being a senior pastor in a multi-pastor church before I get a chance to cut loose in a praise band at least once!
    Would being a Senior Pastor not allow you to participate in the praise band?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I'm thinking he means he will not have the time to do so if he becomes a senior Pastor

User Info Menu

I run a clear pin on one of my spare snares. It gives a neat sound, think Ryan Vykadel on Nickelbacks older stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parttimedrummer View Post
    I'm thinking he means he will not have the time to do so if he becomes a senior Pastor
    But, if he is Senior, he can delegate the authority while he is out playing music. That is what I think.

User Info Menu

well perhaps he can. I wouldn't know

User Info Menu

I used one on the snare back in high school... bad snare though... meh... There's so many dedicated snare head designs out there now that I never thought to try it on my snares. I might grab a coated pinstripe for my 14x6.5 steel snare when I reskin it.

I've used both clear and coated PS3 heads on my personal snares. I like the coated one. I'd have to re-try the clear one because I never got a sound that I was happy with on my old Tama Rockstar steel snare.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Pinstripes are awesome on snares. You have to crank everything up though, otherwise it won't give a good sound. If you want a big fat OOMPH, then you're better off with another kind of head; if you want a crack, then crank that pinstripe up.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Pinstripes are awesome on snares. You have to crank everything up though, otherwise it won't give a good sound. If you want a big fat OOMPH, then you're better off with another kind of head; if you want a crack, then crank that pinstripe up.
    Would that tuning apply well to an Evans coated EC2?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    BLD, it all depends on the size of the church, and the job requirements. I've got the time to do things now. I just don't know how it will play out later. As a matter of fact, I got a chance to play recently, at a church function, but I gave up the drummer's throne to someone else, because I was needed to play guitar. *doing his best Maxwell Smart impression* Missed it by that much!

User Info Menu

I've always used coated remo ambassador on my snares, I can't imagine a clear head would sound very good, but thats me, I use coated on my toms too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    *doing his best Maxwell Smart impression* Missed it by that much!

I miss that show!

User Info Menu

i tried cranking it tight but the pitch was way to high..it sounds good the way i have it tuned now, just still has that crappy ring to it, just like how lars sounds on the st. anger album, i cant stand that!

User Info Menu

Would you believe...

User Info Menu

Do Methodists use the Cone of Silence for confessions?

User Info Menu

RD, I could tell you, but then I'd have to . . . wait, I guess I can't go there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
    i tried cranking it tight but the pitch was way to high..it sounds good the way i have it tuned now, just still has that crappy ring to it, just like how lars sounds on the st. anger album, i cant stand that!
    Check your snares. Make sure they're tight. And make sure you're hitting it right in the middle.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Check your snares. Make sure they're tight. And make sure you're hitting it right in the middle.
    Here's a few tips on getting a nice snare sound: not an expert but have been wrestling with snare drums for some years:

Firstly, get a decent reso head (v important!!) Don't skimp on this fella as it makes all the difference to your overall tonality. Remo or Evans are excellent. Crank it down quite tight.
    Now replace the batter, I can recommend Evans EC2 Dry Batter. Again crank this down quite tight, eveny across the whole drum. go round the edge checking the tone.
    Check the snares before replacing, if they look old or splayed, REPLACE THEM! It doesn't cost much and you wont regret it. Also don't over tighten them or you will strangle the sound and you will also get alot of ringing. If necessary place a small piece of moongel on the edge. this will take the high end ring away and leave a nice high pitch crack but still beefy enough to cut through any loud bass or guitar.
    I did the above on my old Premier steel snare that was just about to be thrown away due to the awful sound I was getting. Now it's the best snare sound I've ever played. All for £30. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Good info, GCR99.

Thanks for the informative post.
    Signature here