Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uh-Ohh...Good night/Bad night..

User Info Menu

Default Uh-Ohh...Good night/Bad night..

So, I am sure this has been debated a million times! But it has reared its ugly head once again to me last night!

I am playing in a small bar the nights is going well for me because I am rusty etc...But I have not made any huge blunders..Before the 3rd and final set the guitar player introduces me to a guy who I have noticed was sitting at the end of the bar most of the night, I meet the dude etc..seems like a nice guy, tells me the same old same old.."You sound good man" Then it happens..Our guitar player says right in front of me and him "Bill you mind if so and so sits in on the first couple songs" "Since you dont want to make a commitment to the band full time, we figured we would try this guy out in a live situation"

Now, I F'N hate this always have and always will but here I am on the spot and caught by complete surprise..I relented and faught the whole time, we walk over to the kit and the jerk starts right away "Wow, I dont care for the angle of that snare drum" "Why is your ride cymbal over there" etc...(This guy has alot of balls to critique my F'N kit)I tell the guy if he wants to play he is not to touch ANYTHING and I said polightly if he did not like those conditions he wouldent be playing...I also explain to him my largest concern is my cymbals, I dont want this guy Bashing them or worse cracking any of them, there brand new..So , Ok, I walk away and sit at the bar with clenched teeth as the first song begins...This guy isnt to rough on my drums and he SUCKS.. the rest of the band knew it...

Anyway I was angry the rest of the night and I told the guys that I would never ever do that again, its my gig and my drums and there worth alot to me...It also got me thinking on the ride home, I have never seen a guitar player hand over his axe...Never...Why is everyone wants to play the drums?? and why is it that its almost expected that you let people sit in?

To me its classless and dis respectfull of your band mate to put him on the spot like that, especially since I havent played in a while and worse yet thay already had this arainged for the guy to come down without telling me! They just told him it would be fine...WELL I am certainly not going to commit to this band now and they can pound sand! I am pissed..Evere feel like after someone else plays your kit it doesnt "feel" right anymore? evereyone is different but personally, I am very anal about my equipment. Sorry for the ramble..

Its just that a night that was going well for me ended up pissing me off and heading home very upset..Welcome to wonderfull world of music!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Uh-Ohh...Good night/Bad night..

I would tell the band to find another drummer. That is rude. It's like in a "business" world, show so and so how to do you job, then you get fired. Knowing how it upsets you, you may wish to decline any future sit ins. You will be spared the negative energy.

User Info Menu

just set your conditions re stand in players with the band before you do any gigs in future, with this or any other new band you join. Its your kit and your call, next practise just pick up the guitarist axe and start thrashing a few power chords, that will get his attention, he will most likely come over screaming like a little girly, and then you can show him how it feels, I would also eat a very messy peanut butter sandwich first. Also make sure you are wearing a jacket with a heavy zipper and have a real heavy belt buckle on your pants.!! works everytime buddy. You can also offer to carry his guitar amp on the next gig and make sure you carry it cone side towards ya. they hate that.

ps. RD you are banned from replying to this thread.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Well, the most iritating part is the Lie...Things may have been different if I knew before hand but, to assume I would not have a problem with it and go ahead and tell this guy he is free to audition on my drums is what bothers me the most...I will not be at another practice with these guys, something will come along sooner or later I hope that is comfortable for me...All I want at this point in life is a fun cover band doing classic rock in local bars and clubs, I am not looking to be a star just play the drums and enjoy it.

I have had in the past, various band members bang around on my kit during practice, I never minded this much but this recent episode was far different.

Now, one more point and I am going to be completely honest!

I was a little worried about being "shown up" since I have not played in a while, I should be beyond that thinking at my age but it was in the back of my mind, "what if this guys smokes"? And puts me out of a job ON MY OWN KIT! Now that would suck..

The whole night just sucked for me after that and I wasnt into it at all

User Info Menu

Any player who is worth his salt would not show you up in that situation, and if he did, he will surley get smoked himself one day. Glad to see you are looking for a new band.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Wow...not cool. Any decent drummer would not even accept an offer to play on someone else's kit during a gig. And if I were you I would have said no to the guy...it's like lending out your wife for a night.

Good luck finding a new band, that's what I would do.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=redheaddrummer03;127454]...it's like lending out your wife for a night.

oops, thats what she meant when she said that was the final straw!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Wow...not cool. Any decent drummer would not even accept an offer to play on someone else's kit during a gig. And if I were you I would have said no to the guy...it's like lending out your wife for a night.

Yup you got that right! I am super cautious when it comes to my equipment! maybe overly so but hey its money and I dont have extra to replace something if some bozo breaks it! I made a mistake and it will not happen again, they want to do that they should go to an open jam and play a house kit..

I like my drums better than my wife

User Info Menu

Work on learning to play a left handed setup! That'll take care of that problem!
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Bill...That's a tough spot you were put in and it shouldn't have happened but it did. It's easy to say that you'll find another band but, you don't know that you will. The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to do from this point on. If this band is all you have then you are right to let the others know how un-cool that was and that you will not tolerate that ever again. You should also ask, point blank, if they want you with them or not. Put the monkey where it belongs. If they tell you "No," then you know what to do about that. If they say "Yes," then you can decide whther it's worth your time or not. Here's the thing, you may be rusty now but that will change as you continue to practice. They may have tried to re-place you with some schmuck and learned how much better off they are with you. So, if you look at it with a calm head, it's you who is in control. Never forget the Truth...3,000 guitar players do not make a band a band but, one drummer, who knows what to do, can make any band a terrific band. That's power!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I agree with everyone else. I think it shows a total lack of respect towards you. I would never agree to do that, i would probably leave the band if it came to that. And also as someone else said, any real drummer wouldn't do that, i would never jump up on stage onto someone elses kit. I think the whole thing sounds really bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Never forget the Truth...3,000 guitar players do not make a band a band but, one drummer, who knows what to do, can make any band a terrific band. That's power!
    That's true,a good point!

User Info Menu

I think it's fine to audition a drummer (or any other player) during a gig if - and ONLY if - the person who hired you knows in advance AND the player whose equipment is being used agrees in advance.

To make it a surprise is absolutely classless and rude.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Bill...That's a tough spot you were put in and it shouldn't have happened but it did. It's easy to say that you'll find another band but, you don't know that you will. The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to do from this point on. If this band is all you have then you are right to let the others know how un-cool that was and that you will not tolerate that ever again. You should also ask, point blank, if they want you with them or not. Put the monkey where it belongs. If they tell you "No," then you know what to do about that. If they say "Yes," then you can decide whther it's worth your time or not. Here's the thing, you may be rusty now but that will change as you continue to practice. They may have tried to re-place you with some schmuck and learned how much better off they are with you. So, if you look at it with a calm head, it's you who is in control. Never forget the Truth...3,000 guitar players do not make a band a band but, one drummer, who knows what to do, can make any band a terrific band. That's power!
    I agree completely with Frank. I certainly acknowledge that you have something to be upset about Bill, and we are certainly here for you - vent away! After that, though, Frank is absolutely right that you are really in control right now. Their attempt to find a replacement right in your face (totally a classless move), blew up in their face, because he was a washout. You are, therefore, still their go to guy. Set your terms, and if they don't like it, you walk away. Since that's what you're thinking about doing anyway, you'd lose nothing. On the other hand, you might end up solidifying your position in the band - if you could re-establish any sence of trust. Good luck Bill!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

ThePloughman Guest

It was very uncool to put you in that position. You would have been well within right to load out at that point. Sometimes torching a bridge is the right thing to do, in this case, the guys intent was to show you up, and he showed himself up. You could tell your guitar player though, that should he spring that on you again, .....its load out time for you.

User Info Menu

They difinately should have cleared this with you before they surpised you with someone coming in like like that to audition. This showed a real lack of class on their part. I would definately tell them how you feel, and ask them not to pull something like that again. If they had asked up front you probably wouldn't have been as pissed, and could have asked him to bring his own cymbals and sticks, as a compromise. I wouldn't quit the band right away unless you have something else to walk into. A gig with a working band, even with having to put up with a little BS is still better than no gig. I've never worked with any group of people where there hasn't been something that they have done to upset me. If this is a one time occurrence, I would say tell them how you feel about it, and get over it.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I would of not let him on the kit. Straight out no and if they pushed my buttons I would of pulled the kit apart , loaded it in the car and left. And told them to look for another drummer on my way out
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

On the positive side, you guys bring up some good points! This would be a paying gig. For the most part my reasons for not giving them a commitment was that there are few tunes I just dont agree with but everything is a compromise I guess, they do alot of classic rock however they also do alot of blues and that stuff is VERY tired around this area now, I dont mind the rockin blues stuff like cold shot etc...But the 1-4-5 stuff makes me want to puke! and I can see when a crowd is warm and when they just sit there...The second set has some stuff that keeps them on the dance floor singin along the whole set! then in the thrid when there really warmed up we come out with "Little wing" and texas flood yikes!

Anyway my point is what happened last night was just at a time when I am undecided and doing that to me made it worse...On the other hand there are not a million local band looking for a drummer so If I want to play maybe I should put it to rest, explain I dont want that to happen again and collect my $80 at the end of the night! I am supposed to practice with them on wed...I will lay it out on the line and see what happens, Thanks for the great advice guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post

EXACTLY!

User Info Menu

I learnt the hard way with letting people use my kit - never ever again!!!!
    the band were indeed out of line to do this. shows a total lack of respect. As mentioned previously, i bet the guitarist would be double annoyed if it happened to him!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Work on learning to play a left handed setup! That'll take care of that problem!
    hahaha
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Interesting scenario, and your band "mates" were unprofessional to put you on the spot. I would have said "No way are we doing an audition right here and now on my gear! If you want to look around for someone better go ahead in your own time not mine!"
    If a guitarist did that to me I think I would wait until the next jam or gig and call my mate who is a professional session player. I would say "do you mind if Shaun sits in on a few numbers, oh and by the way he's going to tear the arse out of your gear" He would blow 'em away and my point would be made

User Info Menu

Frank is absolutely right - YOU are in control of the situation now. I would think very seriously if I wanted to be a part of that band or not, and quite frankly if that had happened to me I would have refused to let him touch my kit, given the fact that this was sprung on you during a gig. That's way beyond the boundaries of being acceptable.

I've also encountered situations where I wasn't sure about a band due to their set list, and in most cases it will be a compromise. I had a band send me their set list, which was supposed to be Classic Rock, and I said, "Why do you have a song by Toby Keith and another by Merle Haggard if you play Classic Rock?" Turns out one of the guitarists likes C&W. I simply told them I "don't do country". Now I wasn't wild about the band anyhow, or I would have sucked it up and played those tunes. Heck, there are always a couple of songs out of 40-50 tunes that you aren't going to like playing, but they're only 3 1/2 or 4 minutes long, so it's not that big a deal in the long run. And if you have input into the songs like everyone else does, you can eventually sneak a couple of your favorites into the set list.

To me the chemistry and dynamics within the band are the most important thing. If you don't have that, it's not worth the effort. But if you do, then you've got a reason to work it out.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I would have given the band two choices:

1. I play the entire gig and he watches.

2. I leave with my kit and he plays the entire gig on some pots and pans from the kitchen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I would have given the band two choices:

1. I play the entire gig and he watches.

2. I leave with my kit and he plays the entire gig on some pots and pans from the kitchen
    Absolutely spot on Sue. That was totally disrespectful, if I were you I would just quit the band, and tell them to deal with it, that was just so messed up.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -