Thread: Practise Pad

User Info Menu

Default Practise Pad

Hi all. First post at DrumChat. Just need some help.

I've stopped playing drums for 3 years, and I'd now like to get back into it a little bit. I don't currently have space for a full set but I still have my sticks and I'd like to just get a practise pad and slowly get back into it; doing rudiments and I need to learn to read music again.

I've been looking at the Vic Firth 6" single sided pad. Is this a good choice? Please realise that I live in South Africa, so I won't have access to as wide a range as you in America...
    Last edited by mellows; 11-10-2008 at 03:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practise Pad

I like the smaller size practice pads they force you to play more accurately. Vic Firth makes a quality product if that is what you can get your hands on, it should work fine for you. I have an 8" CB percussion pad that was dirt cheap, and has a head on it that you can adjust the tension like a regular drum head that I would recommend also.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I have the VF 6" practice pad. Great deal and it didn't cost me nearly as much a RealFeel would have. I give it my recommendation.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Mellows! It's great to have a South African drummer with us!

As has already been said, the Vic Firth single sided pad should work out just fine. Be sure and come back to get all the encouragement and tips that you need. This is a great forum, with truly great people!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome Mellows!!! I have a 2 sided pad by VF. I love it! One side is hard, and the other is more of a snare feel. Remember to pick up a metronome to go with your pad.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Practise Pad

Hey, mellows, welcome to DrumChat!

Vic Firth is sold virtually the world over, so you should be able to find one in a major city near you. There are larger practice pads (yeah, I'm a Yank !), but if it's a hassle to get out the pad to practice or to find space to set it up, you'll be less likely to use it.

If you took drum lessons or purchased any drum books, you can always start with what you had; you'll also find free lessons right here on DrumChat and on our sister site drumbum.com....

Welcome back to drumming, man! You'll find answers to most all your questions here, my friend!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks guys. I'm gonna order it straight away.
    Ya, this one is only one sided - the soft side, which is perfect.
    Thanks for your advice, expect me back.

User Info Menu

i have a double sided vic firth pad with one quiet and one snare drum like side.
    awesome!

User Info Menu

Hi Drum'z! Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!