Thread: Jazz Band help!

User Info Menu

Default Jazz Band help!

Im the drummer in my schools jazz band and were are playing this song called Funky old saint nick. Its a funk/rock song and its very upbeat. During the solo section, my director wants me to play a 16 bar drum solo and im trying to figure out what i should do. Do you have any tips/suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz Band help!

Found these drum solo tips on the drumtips.com site. If you're not accustomed to playing drum solos, don't blow it by trying to do more than you're capable of doing. Keep it simple and keep good time.

By the way, welcome to Drum Chat STS!

User Info Menu

What you can do in the least amount of time is simply play the "Groove" from the chart as your solo and make up some variations within it. Many drummers do this and it's really great. This way, you can keep everything in Tempo, keep the groove and feel going and you don't have to "Dream" up any exotic, jaw - dropping drum solo. Have fun!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Found these drum solo tips on the drumtips.com site. If you're not accustomed to playing drum solos, don't blow it by trying to do more than you're capable of doing. Keep it simple and keep good time.

By the way, welcome to Drum Chat STS!
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo DRUMMER (TOM)CREATIVE OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTISTIC CAT within GREAT AWARENESS WISDOM(KNOWLEDGE ) GREAT SOUND**ADVICE *EXCELLENTE' gracias

User Info Menu

What I tend to do is to keep the main melody going in my had and play things that feel like the main melody. Keep it simple as long as you are in time and follow the melody line it will work.

It may be as simple as just playing the main groove as you already are and play a few extra fills to playing fills and rhythmic patterns the entire time and/ or anything in between.

My suggestion is to practice it on your own. playing along with the song in your head or with a recording play fills and patterns along with the melody. Get comfortable with it.

Th average listener would rather hear things that feel like music then see a bunch of chops they can not relate to ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site