Thread: What's a Affordable Choice for a New Drummer?

User Info Menu

Lightbulb What's a Affordable Choice for a New Drummer?

I have $450, i already have Zildjian ZBT 14" crash, 13" hihats, and 18" crash-ride. What do you suggest? i need hardware for any new cymbals as well.
    I was thinking a nice Zildjian Ride. My kit is a 5-peice Mapex VX Jazz-custom set. I Live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Any Comments would be nice, for a more convenient contact, e-mail me at jr_ackerman@hotmail.com.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's a Affordable Choice for a New Drummer?

First off, Welcome to drumchat!
    I would suggest, as would alot of other forum members, to get the most for your money by looking to eBay for your purchases. I just bought a 20" Zildjian K custom ride for $113!!!! off eBay and plan to look there for the rest of my Zildjians. -Les

User Info Menu

I second what Les said about Ebay. If you are on a budget this is the way to go. You should be able to find some decent boom stands for under $50 a piece on there...as well as some nicely priced cymbals!

Good luck.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

Subrick Guest

Sabian B8 Pros do wonders for new drummers.

User Info Menu

imo a k ride would be great with your jazz kit

User Info Menu

Well...
    upgrade your cymbals Dude....
    Copy them....
    K Ride will be great for you....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

If at all possible, don't buy any cymbal you haven't heard first hand. I'm not sure what your access is, but living on Ohio, I have all the mega-musician stores in Columbus, Toledo, and Dayton within an hour drive. The only way I buy a cymbal is buy taking 2 or 3 of my favorites from my kit into the store and hitting everything in the room with my sticks and my current stuff to see what sounds good. Unless you are replacing all of your stuff with a new set, you should make sure whatever you buy doesn't sound out of place, or that $300 ride will give you regrets. I have been playing Zildjian A and K Customs with Sabian HHX hats and wuhan and ufip splashes for a while because they all sound good together. I've also been impressed with the ZBT line every time I listen to them in a store. Zildjian's B line when I was starting out were Schimitars, which be dubbed Sh!tmitars. They were as expensive and sounded horrible.

Take $250 to some sort of drum shop along with your stuff, tell the staff person you are going to buy a cymbal and that you needs some stands to set your cymbals up and pick out a good ride. They will be helpful because they work on commission. I think it's worth paying a bit more to hear the thing first. Even cymbals in the same molds vary quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Whatever you like the sound of that you can afford. thats all there is to making a desicion
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Whatever you are going to buy, even if it's a cheapie like ZBT's, it's going to be more affordable used than new. I agree with Lesizmore that ebay is a great place to pick up quality used gear. By using the used route, you may have a better chance of picking up a nice cast cymbal instead of a junkie stamped one.

As far as having to hear the particular cymbal you are buying, I don't agree with that view. If you have heard plenty of Zildjian A's, for example, and know you like them, you don't have to hear that particuar cymbal before you buy it. All Zildjian Custom A 18" crashes, again for example, sound very much alike. Whatever minute difference there may be between the same model will be totally insignificant, especially if you're going from a starter kit cymbal like a ZBT to a professional grade cymbal like a K or A.

Now, if you haven't heard plenty of Zildjean K's or A's and don't know for certain what you think of their sound, don't buy anything at this point. Spend some time listening to some experienced drummers who play high quality cast (not stamped) cymbals and find out what you like to hear. Then you can go on ebay and hunt one down.

User Info Menu

Well, I went boxing day shopping and found some amazing finds. So far i've picked up a Sabian B8 Pro 8" Splash for $30, a Boom stand, Mapex double braced for $60, a Cymbal arm for $25, a Zildjian Avedis Custoom EFX cymbal for $160. I dug up some more money. Can anyone suggest an affordable, nice sounding Ride? Many thanks to everyone that replied. The only problem i have with Ebay is the fact that i'm 15, and i do not have a Credit card.

User Info Menu

the other problem with ebay for us canadians right now is the exchange rate. They may initially look like a good deal but not so much after applying exchange rate, shipping etc

Try virtualcymbals.com and have a look at Dream cymbals. I have around 10 zildjian cymbals and i've replaced them with a bunch of Dreams. The only thing you need to watch is they are inconsistant from one cymbal to another so you have to listen/watch a lot of sound samples. I've found the videos on virtual cymbals to be pretty close.

User Info Menu

I found some nice used cymbals in stores in our local area, and guitar center and other retailers are willing to haggle over price on used gear, more than they will with new. You get a great deal and you get to hear, see, and try the cymbal first. Most of them will buy it back if you get it home and don't like the way it sounds with the other cymbals, providing you don't wait too long.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

i love my 21 inch special dry light ride so much! if you can afford it, it's great for jazz especially!

User Info Menu

As I always say sometimes, with a limited budget it's best to get two or three good cymbals than it is to get four or five mediocre ones. Cymbals are an investment and latter on down the line, you would be lucky to get $.50 on the $1.00 trading in entry level cymbals for better ones. Buy the best you can afford even if you have to go the used route. If you buy used, be extremely careful in your judgement and ask a lot of questions. Because of incorrect mounting and playing, cymbals can be damaged easily.

Dennis

User Info Menu

my two favorite rides are the

Zildjian A medium 20"

and

Sabian AA rawbell (unsure of the size)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

lovely bargains in ebay...buy most of your things over there...

User Info Menu

Since you live in Edmonton, check out Axe Music store on 11931 Wayne Gretzky Drive. I just ordered my Sabian XS20 rock ride online from there. This line of Sabians is probably among the best, if not THE best, in their price range. Made of cast B20 bronze, i.e. the same grade as professional cymbals.

User Info Menu

if you want great and affordable cymbals, try the paiste alphas. they are great for rock/metal

User Info Menu

Sabian B8 pros sound pretty good and won't cost much. Plus on ebay you can find deals with hardware included...

User Info Menu

Nice! I've got a Jazz VX too! Actually, I've got two but I used the bass from one to make a double bass kit on the other (with some additional toms).

Affordable cymbals... look into the sheet bronze cymbals or anything that sounds good to you on the used racks at local stores. I'd recommend getting the cast bronze cymbals used over new sheet bronze ones. Just go try out as many as you can and decide from there. Personally, I love my 20" Zildjian A Ping ride.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47