Page 105 of 124 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3085

Thread: Mapex Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Drums Discussion

I'm going to be getting a Saturn V here soon but I like playing 2 up one down using a double tom stand....does Mapex have the new Soniclear mounts for double tom stands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    I'm going to be getting a Saturn V here soon but I like playing 2 up one down using a double tom stand....does Mapex have the new Soniclear mounts for double tom stands?
    It shouldn't make any difference how you mount the toms as long as the L arms are the correct diameter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    It shouldn't make any difference how you mount the toms as long as the L arms are the correct diameter.
    True, though it's that Mapex hs new tom arms for the Saturns that help increase resonance and sustain

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    True, though it's that Mapex hs new tom arms for the Saturns that help increase resonance and sustain
    I can't imagine that they'd make tom arms and not a stand that they fit in. I know that my combination stand could be converted to a double tom stand if I pulled out the cymbal arm and replaced it with a tom arm. Contact customer support. They've always been helpful when I had questions or needed parts.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I can't imagine that they'd make tom arms and not a stand that they fit in. I know that my combination stand could be converted to a double tom stand if I pulled out the cymbal arm and replaced it with a tom arm. Contact customer support. They've always been helpful when I had questions or needed parts.
    Thanks!

Just getting all my ducks in a row for when I can pull the trigger

User Info Menu

Are these the tom arms you're thinking of? They attach straight on to a stand without needing a separate clamp.

They describe it as "The SONIClear Tom Holder is for the addition of a tom or small mounted auxiliary snare drum to a stand without the need for a separate clamp."
    You still get the regular tom holders with a Saturn V as these are to buy as additions.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    Are these the tom arms you're thinking of? They attach straight on to a stand without needing a separate clamp.

They describe it as "The SONIClear Tom Holder is for the addition of a tom or small mounted auxiliary snare drum to a stand without the need for a separate clamp."
    You still get the regular tom holders with a Saturn V as these are to buy as additions.
    that's exactly what I was talking about...since it's already with them then I don't need the extra ones....thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post

I'd be interested to hear a review of these after someone has had the chance to use them. They look a bit short and like they won't give much flexibility in terms of placement.

User Info Menu

I would think gibraltar nylon ball "L" brackets do the same thing. I was checking out the NATAL drums site and they have the same type of tom mounts except they have alumminum balls instead of nylon balls.

User Info Menu

Delivered today. Meridian Maple. 12, 14, 16, 22. Transparent Cherry. Going to use as practice kit.

Last edited by inthpktplayer; 07-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice kit, inthpkt, I would have no problems gigging that every now and then either.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Just love it! Great finish!

User Info Menu

As expected, the stock heads leave much to be desired. Coated G2s, EC Resonants and EMAD Heavyweight should be delivered on Monday. I should be happy after that. The finish, workmanship and attention to detail is as to be expected from Mapex. Very well done, especially for this price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    As expected, the stock heads leave much to be desired. Coated G2s, EC Resonants and EMAD Heavyweight should be delivered on Monday. I should be happy after that. The finish, workmanship and attention to detail is as to be expected from Mapex. Very well done, especially for this price point.
    I put Coated Emps on mine and they sound great. This is the only kit I use for shows (sold my Superstars) because they sound awesome and look awesome and are easy to tune.

If you play like once a month like I do, I can't see why you need anything more.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Delivered today. Meridian Maple. 12, 14, 16, 22. Transparent Cherry. Going to use as practice kit.

Those look great. And what a great deal, too - I see that they go for $615 delivered on the 'bay. I don't think we'll ever again see the kind of quality-for-price deals that are available today. Chinese wages and the cost of maple will be going up, we can be sure. Congrats.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

What do you guys think of the VX-series? I have no clue whether or not they're any good. Found a BIG kit (two kicks and a zillion toms) for sale including cymbals and hardware for a price that seems as the kit is of a cheap, crappy series or that the seller stole it.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Those look great. And what a great deal, too - I see that they go for $615 delivered on the 'bay. I don't think we'll ever again see the kind of quality-for-price deals that are available today. Chinese wages and the cost of maple will be going up, we can be sure. Congrats.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks. Got them for $605 w/free shipping. Great deal for 5pc all maple & Mapex quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellride View Post
    What do you guys think of the VX-series? I have no clue whether or not they're any good. Found a BIG kit (two kicks and a zillion toms) for sale including cymbals and hardware for a price that seems as the kit is of a cheap, crappy series or that the seller stole it.
    Depending on price and what you want they are decent but I personally do not like the sound of Basswood/Maple combo but that's just me. I know Mapex does not make those anymore and I am pretty sure when they did they were entry level kits but Mapex is a great company so their entry level kits I would imagine are pretty good.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice kit, inthpkt, I would have no problems gigging that every now and then either.
    Thanks! I'm sure it will get some show time as well.

User Info Menu

The original V series were one level up from the beginner kit Mapex offered. Going up the line would the M Series, M Pro and then into early Saturn and then on to their flagship Orion.

I believe the VX series adds some maple plies to the standard basswood.

I had a V series up until 18 months ago. I gigged and recorded with the kit for about 13 years. I never, ever had any issues with it. It held up very well and took a beating. The snare was the weak point and sounded very thin but this is the norm for more budget kits.

It was this kit that cemented the belief that with good heads and decent tuning, any kit can be made to sound good so long as it's in good shape.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Thanks. Got them for $605 w/free shipping. Great deal for 5pc all maple & Mapex quality.
    Great steal. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

GeeDeeEmm
    The price is because they are discontinued, which has made them an AMAZING value for those of us who have bought them since.

Anytime anyone mentions getting a mid-range maple kit I tell them to look for Meridian Maples before they are all gone.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have had my Meridian Maple for a good year now. Same setup, 1 up, 2 down. Called the "Big Rock". It has the 20X 22 kick. Gig that thing! The sound is too good to hide it in a practice room!

I also went with the coated emps. One of the best sounding drumsets I have played.

If you enjoy them half as much as I enjoy mine, you will be well pleased.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

I don't think it should be described as a cheap, crappy kit. I have a VXB (Basswood/Birch) and it's an excellent set. I have a set of Pinstripes on them & they sound like thunder. I've also seen & used many V/VX kits at rehearsal rooms & they seem a popular choice - probably a good price/performance balance. As has been said, get some decent heads on there and they'll do you just fine.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    I have had my Meridian Maple for a good year now. Same setup, 1 up, 2 down. Called the "Big Rock". It has the 20X 22 kick. Gig that thing! The sound is too good to hide it in a practice room!

I also went with the coated emps. One of the best sounding drumsets I have played.

If you enjoy them half as much as I enjoy mine, you will be well pleased.
    Yep, that's the one. "Big Rock". 12, 14, 16, 22. Just put Coated G2's, EC Resonants, EMAD Heavyweight and a Kickport. Sounds great.