Thread: My Dilemma...

User Info Menu

Question My Dilemma...

My whole life I've always felt like I had a drummer trapped in me that needed to get out, but was either to busy with school or other activities to follow up on this "calling." I finally feel like I need to let this need come to fruition, but I have a problem:

I'm fresh out of college with a year or two with work experience under my belt, so my pay isn't out of this world. All I can afford right now is to live in apartments. No big house where a drum set would be welcomed and not left to bother the neighbors.

I've read about maybe going with an electric drum set, but I'm afraid I'll be starting off on the wrong foot. Not learning how to take care of a "real" drum set: tuning, caring for it, chocking cymbals, replacing old pieces...etc.

I was just hoping to get some other drummers' opinions on my plight and try to make an educated choice from there.

Will starting out with an electric drum set hurt my growth learning the in's and out's of drumming? (Electric vs. Acoustic)

How can one who can only afford to live in apartments go about learning the drums with an Acoustic set?

-Add on question-

What's a great beginner set? (For Electric & Acoustic)

Sorry for the long post, and Thanks ahead of time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Dilemma...

First of all Crash, welcome to Drum Chat!

I understand your dilemna because I found out that there was a drummer inside of me that had been ignored for a great many years - I was 52 when I started playing. Now that you are aware of it, you will not be satisfied until you let that creative side of yourself out. The trick is to take stock of your situation, and find a way to play. Since money is tight, I would assume that buying an acoustic set and then renting a rehearsal space would be out. Also if you bought an acoustic kit only to have to play it with mutes in place all the time, because of the neighbors, I would think it would get frustrating. I think that your best option for real enjoyment would be to start on an electronic kit, and learn your basics there. Drumming is a journey, and the most important task is to begin.

We have a member here called Drum_Chick that has begun on an electronic kit because of space and neighbor issues, and she's doing great. You might want to send her a private message and ask about her experience of beginning on an e-kit.

As to beginner kits, I'll wait on making any recommendation until you've gotten more input from the other members, and you have some idea where you might be headed - acoustic or electronic. Either way, there are decent beginner kits out there that you can have fun learning to play.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

some places have single player rehearsal rooms you can rent. i live in an apt, but i rent a place with my band. my practice pad is my best friend

User Info Menu

Get what you can play, what good is polishing an acoustic kit that sits around?

Be aware that even E kits will make noise if you are not on the ground floor. Search the web on "tennis ball drum platform" to learn more about this. built in metronome and many play along features. You can play along with recorded music without cranking the music up to dangerous levels. There are many practicing benefits.

There is a huge feeling of privacy as well. I find I am far less inhibited when I practice on my e kite with head phones. I know nobody can hear me, I do not feel like I have to entertain anyone. It is just me and the drums

Are they the same as an acoustic kit, no, is an electric guitar the same as an acoustic guitar? It is simply another tool in a drummers tool bag.

You will have to adjust to an acoustic kit at some point but it is not a big deal. I play both back and forth all the time. Once you feel confident start kitting some jam nights, you will get to play acoustic drums then and learn to play with others as well

There are some really great e kits on the market. Go mess around with one, I think you will find they are quit addicting.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I agree that an electronic drumset would be your best choice. Most of learning to drum is about the fundamentals anyway. The four way independence and sticking patterns. You can learn four way independence by sitting in a chair and just playing on your legs. You don't even need a drumset. For most rudiments, you only need a pad or a flat surface that has a bit of rebound. You don't even need a drum. So the benefits and nuances of of an acoustic drumset can be enjoyed later. For now, have fun with an e-kit while learning. It's not only a practical alternative for drummers in your situation but a wonderful "toy"! LOL You will be thrilled with what they have to offer in the way of incredible sounds, programmable loops and songs to play along with, built in metronome, and so on. They're a blast and assist in adding to the enjoyment of playing the drums if you're not quite ready to perform in a band.

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful input.

I had a feeling an "e-kit" was my best bet, I just was sad thinking I wouldn't get to play with some real cymbals and actually get to know the hardships and love of caring for an acoustic set. Was hopping I'd find some "mystical and secret, sage advice to playing with the noise an acoustic creates without living on a desert island, but I think I was just grasping for straws.

Thanks again, and wish me luck on my drumming journey.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!!! I would recommend a rehearsal hall and a practice pad.

Rock on!

User Info Menu

Hey Crash...Welcome to the forum. You asked a very hard question and have gotten some good advice from those best qualified. However, I'm afraid that I can't go along with the crowd on this one. It just seems to me that you would be denying yourself the reason you want to let the "Drummer" out of you in the first place. I might think differently if I had an e-kit but, I don't. However, if I were to get an e-kit, I'm willing to bet that I would get more out of it than you...I already know how to play. What I would suggest for you to think about is this...start taking some lessons. Get to know what it is you are wanting to learn. Drummer alluded to the fact that a lot of the basics will be done on the practice pad; that's true. Technology aside, I'm not convinced that you would get more practice out of an e-kit vs an accoustic kit. Concern for your neighbors is indicative of your sensitivity but, they should also acknowledge you as an individual as well. Certainly, there can be common ground. I do believe that we have members here in similar situations. I hope that I didn't befuddle the issue but I had to say what I was feeling.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg