Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dolau View Post
    I have a Pearl Mirror finish chrome snare that I brought off Ebay and refurbished with new heads and tension bolts etc.

Its the best bit of my kit although when I tried to join the Pearl forum to find out more about it (nerdy I know but.. ) I couldnt seem to get accepted... just ignored rather

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I know what you mean about the pearl forum - I asked a question ages ago about my kit at the time (Session Elite) and did not get a single response! I wish I new about Drum Chat then!!!!
    Gentlemen, their loss is clearly our gain! It's good to have you both here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have been playing a Pearl ELX kit for quite a while now and I love it! Definetely a lot of bang for the buck.

However, I do not think they should bring back the Export line. Yes, it would make it a whole lot easier for me to find the 18" floor tom I've been looking for that matches my kit (which I probably will never find), but as stated before, the Visions line took the best of what the Export line had to offer and combined it with a lot of the pro qualities of the more expensive kits. The price point on the Visions is very reasonable and they sound and look fantastic.

Pearls hardware is top notch. I have not had any issues with stands or clamps. The only problem I have ever had with any Pearl product is the connecting shaft on my P2002C Eliminator pedal set. The ends stripped out almost immediately after I got it. Getting replacement rod ends is next to impossible, so I ended up having to tap the holes to accept larger screws. It's working well now, but I would still like to replace them as I have to use an allen wrench now to put my pedals together. Oh well.....
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Gentlemen, their loss is clearly our gain! It's good to have you both here!
    I honestly think that's why a lot of us are here, and prefer to be here over other forums. Some of them are very "clique-ish", and if you're not one of the 20 or so top posters, they look at you with disdain. When you post they either ignore you or find something to be critical of, if not downright insulting. They're not the least bit helpful. It feels like a closed club more than a forum.

I've seen it personally on one of the very large forums, and when I used to read the posts there they were so opinionated that they really weren't helpful at all. Unless of course you agreed with the poster.

It starts at the top. If that kind of behavior is tolerated and encouraged, that's what you'll get. Thankfully the folks behind DC have the right idea of what a forum should be IMHO. Few others do.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Oh, I should probably say something about Pearl in this thread huh?

I own a set of Pearl Masters drums, and they just impress me every time I play them. Amazing tonality! But they are clearly the heaviest drums I own as well. The hardware is also topnotch...it's obvious they've been doing this for a long time and strive to improve their products all the time. That's really refreshing to see.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Read my post I explained it clearly.
    You did...but it still doesn't make any sense to me anyways. And I did some shopping around today. Let's just say the Refs might have some competition...yeah. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks before I purchase.
    Last edited by RHD03; 01-02-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I honestly think that's why a lot of us are here, and prefer to be here over other forums. Some of them are very "clique-ish", and if you're not one of the 20 or so top posters, they look at you with disdain. When you post they either ignore you or find something to be critical of, if not downright insulting. They're not the least bit helpful. It feels like a closed club more than a forum.

I've seen it personally on one of the very large forums, and when I used to read the posts there they were so opinionated that they really weren't helpful at all. Unless of course you agreed with the poster.

It starts at the top. If that kind of behavior is tolerated and encouraged, that's what you'll get. Thankfully the folks behind DC have the right idea of what a forum should be IMHO. Few others do.
    I hear you brotha!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

ur son plays a pearl me to

User Info Menu

I am very happy with my export set....and have long been a fan of most everything that Pearl has made....amongst my purchase cue include: Pearl Elim DB.....more Pearl Cymbal stands(have not had a single problem with any of their hardware) and though I like Pearl's snares...my next snare is going to be a Ludwig....

One of these days....I will have a Masters Kit....I do miss the Export series....if for nothing else than sentimental.....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Im a big fan of the Masters, but I cant stand References.
    Huh?? -Les

User Info Menu

This coming Thursday, I am picking up my Mint cond. '97 Pearl Session DX kit and will be posting some pix. Before I got my Mapex kit, I was fluttering around a bit with other brands. I find Gretsch to be outstanding btw. But..really, I have owned and played Pearl drums almost exclusively for over 15 years and will say that from the FX forums to the Masters, Pearl makes some of the finest drums on the mass market today. I am stoked to being just a few days away from owning my 4th Pearl drum set. Now I hafta decide..Do I gig my Mapexs or the Pearl DXs?? I love 'em both!! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    This coming Thursday, I am picking up my Mint cond. '97 Pearl Session DX kit and will be posting some pix. Before I got my Mapex kit, I was fluttering around a bit with other brands. I find Gretsch to be outstanding btw. But..really, I have owned and played Pearl drums almost exclusively for over 15 years and will say that from the FX forums to the Masters, Pearl makes some of the finest drums on the mass market today. I am stoked to being just a few days away from owning my 4th Pearl drum set. Now I hafta decide..Do I gig my Mapexs or the Pearl DXs?? I love 'em both!! -Les
    Just switch them out every once in a while!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    session dx? i havnt heard of that. they had a series in the early 80s called the professional dx line. info and a badge pic would be cool.

i know there are alot of weenies on the pearl forum. but i have been a member there for years. the mods are helpful and and being able to easily chat and get info direct from the company big wigs all the way up to gene okamoto (pres of pearl usa and masterworks div.) is really cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    it looks like a sensitone steel snare
    Yep..it's a Sensi. (tone) -Les

User Info Menu

Here's the lastest pix of my Pearls...

Here's before I got the matching snare...

And here's after getting the matching snare.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish - not usually a sparkle finish fan, but those are beautiful.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Shane. Truly, pictures don't do them justice. They are a bit deeper in shading than the flash allows.

But when I first saw them on a display floor, my eyeballs popped. So, here they are.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

And VERY similar to Bish's........
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Sweet, Norske!!!!

Loverly!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i agree with redhead the visions are alot better sound and quality for the price then again exports do have a nice sound

User Info Menu

Bish and Norske, those masters kits are absolutley gorgeous!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Those Master kits do look beautiful and sound even greater. Everytime I sit behind and play a Masters kit, I want it.

Dennis

User Info Menu

My first kit was a Pearl cant remember what model though. great quality sound and looks black and chrome....excellent learning experience.
    “The noisiest drum has nothing in it but air”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Thanks, Shane. Truly, pictures don't do them justice. They are a bit deeper in shading than the flash allows.

But when I first saw them on a display floor, my eyeballs popped. So, here they are.
    Is that a wrap or lacqered finish?

User Info Menu

whats you guys fav pearl snares? i have maple and brass free floaters and love them. i would love to own my buddies maple dennis chambers model. i would really like to try the metal reference snares. my new treehouse custom snare was modeled after a limited edition 13x8 maple masters drum that my local shop had, except mine is plum colored oil and wax finish maple instead of the natural quilted maple on the pearl. both sound incredible.

User Info Menu

Right now I use a Chad Smith sig. Its a steel shell and I want to explore more of wood shells. Probably maple. I wanna try the Dennis Chambers signature snare.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered