Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tama Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Tama Drums Discussion

Ok, you guys seem to like separate threads for the different drum brands so here's one for Tama Drums.

Advertisement

Cool Drum Accessories

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Mmmmmm Tama

User Info Menu

22 years of Tama and still going!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Played TAMA for years, I went to DW, now I have my DWs and I am restoring a bunch of vintage TAMA shells.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

..."Stars Fell On Ala.Tama.."
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

FINALLY! I've got a vintage Tama Swingstar set. They sound great!

User Info Menu

I loveee TAMAA !!!!!
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

tama make nice drums but anybody know how good the hyper-drive are?
    Last edited by Olly; 03-24-2010 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Tama Iron Cobra chrome edition double pedal. the beater gives a good solid attack
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    tama make nice drums but anybody know how good the hiper-drive are?
    The Superstar Hyperdrives are a very quick sounding drum with lots of attack and little resonance and projection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The Superstar Hyperdrives are a very quick sounding drum with lots of attack and little resonance and projection.
    NR, I have to disagree about the projection. The short toms have a lot of attack, but they have a ton of projection. We just got a set a few months ago, and before I went and played them I assumed that the short toms would be quieter, less projection, but quick attack.

Boy was I wrong. The things are cannons, but more projection and attack than my old Tama Crestar's.

Olly, I would definitely look at them as an option. It depends on the sound you are looking for, but my son and I found them much more our style than the Gretsch Catalina's, the other drums we looked at. While my band plays a wide variety of music, we lean towards heavier rock, alternative, and punk. My son is 14 so you can guess what he's into (System of Down, Rise Against, Rage, etc...)

It will come down to playing and listening, but while I know the StarClassic's are the real deal, the SuperStar's are a good choice. We got ours with a 20% off coupon and 18 mos. no interest at Sam Ash. $660 for a 6 piece (two floor toms) shell pack.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

tamas r ok

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    NR, I have to disagree about the projection. The short toms have a lot of attack, but they have a ton of projection. We just got a set a few months ago, and before I went and played them I assumed that the short toms would be quieter, less projection, but quick attack.

Boy was I wrong. The things are cannons, but more projection and attack than my old Tama Crestar's.

Olly, I would definitely look at them as an option. It depends on the sound you are looking for, but my son and I found them much more our style than the Gretsch Catalina's, the other drums we looked at. While my band plays a wide variety of music, we lean towards heavier rock, alternative, and punk. My son is 14 so you can guess what he's into (System of Down, Rise Against, Rage, etc...)

It will come down to playing and listening, but while I know the StarClassic's are the real deal, the SuperStar's are a good choice. We got ours with a 20% off coupon and 18 mos. no interest at Sam Ash. $660 for a 6 piece (two floor toms) shell pack.
    I played them side by side with my Superstar Customs when I was purchasing my kit. The standard size Superstars definately have more sustain and projection than the Hyperdrives.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 01-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I played them side by side with my Superstar Customs when I was purchasing my kit. The standard size Superstars definately have more sustain and projection than the Hyperdrives.
    In that comparison you might be right. I was comparing them to the Gretsch Catalina Maples we played at the time. We both found the SuperStar HyperDrives to be much bigger sounding drums than the Gretsch. There wasn't a regular superstar there to play, the hyper-drive was the only one and at 20% and 18 mos no interest it was a no brainer.

My 1987 Crestars have really good projection as well, although there is definitely a stronger attack on the hyper-drives, as you said.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I love my TAMA's !
    Tama Starclassic Performer Birch with Remo Pinstripe Heads
    Gold Crush Giltter finish 8"x10", 9"x12" Mount Toms & 12"x14"& 14"x16" Floor Toms - 18" x 22" Bass
    OCDP 14x7 Steel Vented Snare
    Tama Hardware - Iron Cobra Pedals & HH stand
    Sabian AAX & HHX Cymbals

User Info Menu

In that comparison you might be right. I was comparing them to the Gretsch Catalina Maples we played at the time. We both found the SuperStar HyperDrives to be much bigger sounding drums than the Gretsch. There wasn't a regular superstar there to play, the hyper-drive was the only one and at 20% and 18 mos no interest it was a no brainer.

My 1987 Crestars have really good projection as well, although there is definitely a stronger attack on the hyper-drives, as you said.

I'll definately agree with you on the Gretsch comparison. IMO the Superstars of either configuration are a real hidden jem. People just look at the specs and turn their noises up because of the basswood ply. People really need to try these drums. They sound incredible. They have the power and attack of birch, but the ply of basswood gives it some warmth and depth. They are a very full and round sound. With the Starcast hoops and mounts I like to run a coated Ambo over clear (right now I have G1's due to late shipment) I have tons of attack, good clear tones, they project like crazy, have a nice resonance and warmth.

When I was buying my kit I compared them side by side with Catilina Maples, Sonor 2007, Sonor 1007, Premier Cabria XPK's, Premier Artis Birch and Tama SC Bubingas.
    IMO the Superstars outperformed all of the kits except the SC Bubingas but they were way out of my pricerange.

Plus the finish on the Customs is truly beautiful.

User Info Menu

the second kit i had was a ten piece tama imperial star with concert toms. 6",8",10",12,13",14",16",18",22", and 14" metal snare. it was good times.the early '80's!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Im a huge fan of Tama drums. All of my hardware, pedals, snare are Tama. Im going to get a set of Starclassic B/B one day.

User Info Menu

I'll definately agree with you on the Gretsch comparison. IMO the Superstars of either configuration are a real hidden jem. People just look at the specs and turn their noises up because of the basswood ply. People really need to try these drums. They sound incredible. They have the power and attack of birch, but the ply of basswood gives it some warmth and depth. They are a very full and round sound. With the Starcast hoops and mounts I like to run a coated Ambo over clear (right now I have G1's due to late shipment) I have tons of attack, good clear tones, they project like crazy, have a nice resonance and warmth.

When I was buying my kit I compared them side by side with Catilina Maples, Sonor 2007, Sonor 1007, Premier Cabria XPK's, Premier Artis Birch and Tama SC Bubingas.
    IMO the Superstars outperformed all of the kits except the SC Bubingas but they were way out of my pricerange.

I agree about the hidden gem concept. For some reason it seems like Tama's don't have the cache of some of the other brands anymore. I guess they were overpriced and not that great for a span, but we love the one's we have. For now we're running the stock heads, which are actually pretty good. The salesman said Tama uses the best OEM heads, but eventually we'll go with G2 clears most likely.

So exactly which Superstars do you have, the Superstar Custom's? What's the difference from what we have, other than we have the short tom depth?

This was the first kit I bought in 22 years, so I'm really just getting back into knowing about the different lines. It's interesting, but frustrating since it's not like I can buy a kit very often!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

The superstars made today are nothing like the original Superstars that later became Granstar / Crestar. They were top of the line drums, 100% birch. The current Superstars are mixed wood entry / mid level drums.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

kive played a tama rockstar and it was pretty good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    The superstars made today are nothing like the original Superstars that later became Granstar / Crestar. They were top of the line drums, 100% birch. The current Superstars are mixed wood entry / mid level drums.

Read my post above.
    The Superstars are definately NOT entry drums.

User Info Menu

I agree about the hidden gem concept. For some reason it seems like Tama's don't have the cache of some of the other brands anymore. I guess they were overpriced and not that great for a span, but we love the one's we have. For now we're running the stock heads, which are actually pretty good. The salesman said Tama uses the best OEM heads, but eventually we'll go with G2 clears most likely.

So exactly which Superstars do you have, the Superstar Custom's? What's the difference from what we have, other than we have the short tom depth?

This was the first kit I bought in 22 years, so I'm really just getting back into knowing about the different lines. It's interesting, but frustrating since it's not like I can buy a kit very often!

The only difference is the finishes. The Customs are all lacquer finishes.

I took my Superstars with the stock heads, right from Bellone's and put them right on stage at one of the biggest C&W clubs in Toronto. The Tech told me it was the best sounding kit he had in 6 months and Emmerson Drive played there the weekend before us.

User Info Menu

Entry level is a bit of a stretch. Mid-Level is probably most accurate. Similar to Mapex M Birch's and Pro M's and Catalina Maples and similar price range. Personally I liked the Superstars a lot more than the Catalina Maples (and I've been told they are better, as are the Mapex M's).

New Superstars have die cast hoops and Starcast mounts, which I found to be better than the Gretsch's. They have nicer tom mounts too in terms of positioning, etc.., a virgin bass drum. And they were much "bigger" sounding drums, which I also liked.

I guess in the grand scheme of drums under $1000 could be considered entry level, but Tama Rockstars and Imperialstars are the real entry level stuff, not the Superstars.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Attached Images Attached Images