Page 100 of 118 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

It has a little, subtle sparkle to it, like a metallic paint job on a car.
    It's understated but beautiful
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

HI I recently bought a dw snare 6x14. It has true hoops and mag throw off. The problem is used like new but doesn`t have any paper or inscription with timbre note. The seller said me it`s from an endorser and this is the cause. Could this be true?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    It's been two months since I saw this kit and I'm still lusting after it. It's still available and while every logical part of me says "you have drums already" it's tough to not keep thinking about the way it sounded in the store.

Do I want to upgrade to better drums, yet have less of them?

Is that even an upgrade, if the kit itself is downsizing?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

It's been two months since I saw this kit and I'm still lusting after it. It's still available and while every logical part of me says "you have drums already" it's tough to not keep thinking about the way it sounded in the store.

Do I want to upgrade to better drums, yet have less of them?

Is that even an upgrade, if the kit itself is downsizing?
    Hi Kevin,

Do you really use all seven of those drums you have now? If yes, then you needn't trade. If no, and you can be satisfied with a four-piece kit, then you should buy what you like. Can that be an upgrade? Of course. Any time you move from one kit to one you like better, it's an upgrade.

My kit's a six-piece (two up, two down), but nine times out of ten when I gig, I use only four pieces and far fewer cymbals. Just depends on the number of toms you really use - or want.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I'm writing up a Pro's/Con's list.
    Hell, I don't like to buy sneakers because they're so expensive. LOL! Seriously though, I do feel kinda guilty about making a big purchase for myself.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 12-29-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

So I've been calling around and no shops in my area have the DW Performance drums in ebony stain in stock for me to go look at in person. They all have the silver sparkle & pewter sparkles and of course the gun metal. They were all nice, but I really like the way the ebony stain looks online. I really want to see it in person before I dump a large sum of cash on it though.

So frustrating...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Mmmmm......Pewter Sparkle.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I found one in Ebony stain about an hour or so away from me at a Store in Long Island NY.
    Looks like a road trip is in order...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Take your truck so you can haul it home. I've never seen a DW finish that wasn't awesome in person.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Took the road trip out to see them and the fit & finish was gorgeous, but the color didn't thrill me in person. Maybe it was just the lighting, I dunno, but I wasn't overwhelmed. I definitely want the kit, but it's back to the drawing board on finishes.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Buy the $1700 Collectors and re-wrap so they look nicer!
    Like I said before...'cause gray is not my favorite drum finish.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Buy the $1700 Collectors and re-wrap so they look nicer!
    Like I said before...'cause gray is not my favorite drum finish.
    The 1700 kit was a performance kit not a collectors. They had it mismarked.
    The problem is there's no place around to see more than one finish at a time so it's a process. Gonna check a titanium sparkle today at lunch break.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Good luck Kevin,I envy you,pretty exciting for you.. Are you trading in the cats?

User Info Menu

Took the road trip out to see them and the fit & finish was gorgeous, but the color didn't thrill me in person. Maybe it was just the lighting, I dunno, but I wasn't overwhelmed. I definitely want the kit, but it's back to the drawing board on finishes.

Hey if it didn't feel right it wasn't right.
    It's gotta call your name!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Pretty much this. When an instrument is the right one, regardless drums, guitars, whatever... You should hear angels singing the strains of the Hallelujah Chorus!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Pretty much this. When an instrument is the right one, regardless drums, guitars, whatever... You should hear angels singing the strains of the Hallelujah Chorus!!

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Good luck Kevin,I envy you,pretty exciting for you.. Are you trading in the cats?
    Exactly, guys... I also gotta say that the mrs. is being very cool about going to different shops to see these drums. It was an hour each way to see the ebony stain.

I'll sell the cats privately because you never get a good price on trade-in.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Man, the hunt continues!! Good luck Kevin.

IamJohnGalt Guest

Greetings DW Drum Chatters;

This is my first day as a member of this community and my first post. With that said, I have read much of this DW thread over the last several weeks and am appreciative to you participants for the insights and inspiration that I have gleaned from your posts and pictures. Thanks!

I have been playing drums for over 35 years (started at 8) and have had only one brand new kit that I opened from the factory boxes myself...it was a TAMA Imperialstar's when I was around 13 years old. I have bought and sold a variety of used kits over the years. Right now I own two Gretch kits from the 80s era and a 1964 Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl (with all original hardware, cymbals and gig box that I looooovve).

On Monday January 4th, 2016 I ordered my first custom kit of drums....I AM PSYCHED!!!!! As you may have guessed, it is a DW:

Collectors Series (7pcs)
    Exotic Finish - Lacquer over Royal Ebony
    7x8 VLT
    8x10 VLT
    9x12 VLT
    12x14 X
    14x16 VLX
    18x22 VLX
    6.5x14

I asked DW to lean towards the darker versions of Royal Ebony (like my avatar) as opposed to some of those that I have seen that have more of lighter tone in them.

Needless to say, I cant wait to get these into my studio!! Currently they estimate 12-15 weeks

When I receive them I will do a box opening video that will include me playing them so you can see and hear them! I am very happy to be here at DRUM CHAT because this group can actually understand how excited I am now and how happy I will be when they arrive.

I will keep you folks posted! Cheers!!

User Info Menu

oh man that is excited!!

Welcome to our forums, thanks for joining and sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post

This is my first day as a member of this community and my first post. With that said, I have read much of this DW thread over the last several weeks and am appreciative to you participants for the insights and inspiration that I have gleaned from your posts and pictures. Thanks!

I have been playing drums for over 35 years (started at 8) and have had only one brand new kit that I opened from the factory boxes myself...it was a TAMA Imperialstar's when I was around 13 years old. I have bought and sold a variety of used kits over the years. Right now I own two Gretch kits from the 80s era and a 1964 Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl (with all original hardware, cymbals and gig box that I looooovve).

On Monday January 4th, 2016 I ordered my first custom kit of drums....I AM PSYCHED!!!!! As you may have guessed, it is a DW:

Collectors Series (7pcs)
    7x8 VLT
    8x10 VLT
    9x12 VLT
    12x14 X
    14x16 VLX
    18x22 VLX
    6.5x14

I asked DW to lean towards the darker versions of Royal Ebony (like my avatar) as opposed to some of those that I have seen that have more of lighter tone in them.

Needless to say, I cant wait to get these into my studio!! Currently they estimate 12-15 weeks

When I receive them I will do a box opening video that will include me playing them so you can see and hear them! I am very happy to be here at DRUM CHAT because this group can actually understand how excited I am now and how happy I will be when they arrive.

Welcome to the fray, John G.
    Like you, I've been playing for ages on a variety of kits and my first ever new-in-box kit is my current kit, a Gretsch Catalina Maple.

As you've read, I have been hemming/hawing over the last few months about stepping into DW. For budgetary reasons, I am going for the performance series over the collectors, so I'm scouring retailers everywhere to see the available finishes in person before I order.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Royal ebony is my favorite finish DW offers, excellent choice!

Which hardware color did you go with?

Here's my Macassar Ebony with black hardware:

Last edited by Exotic Matter; 01-07-2016 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

And also my 13x7 Royal Ebony snare:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post

Collectors Series (7pcs)
    7x8 VLT
    8x10 VLT
    9x12 VLT
    12x14 X
    14x16 VLX
    18x22 VLX
    6.5x14

Cool first post! Welcome John Galt! Can't wait to see the kit!

User Info Menu

I think I found my color... Candy Apple Red! Wow...

Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the candy apple red Tama's that Peart played in the 80's
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!