Page 107 of 118 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

I'm really digging the satin black. Which Yamaha kit did you have? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts between the two.

User Info Menu

I'll be watching for how you set it up with the rack. I love that satin finish!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I'm really digging the satin black. Which Yamaha kit did you have? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts between the two.
    I sold a Stage Custom Birch kit, which was one of two I had. The kick had an EMAD, so it's hard to compare with the DW stock heads and pillows. For the toms, the DWs have more tone (25% more maybe), and a little less punch. My guitar player noticed a bigger difference than I did. I also have a Maple Custom Yamaha kit, and the toms sound very similar between the two. The DWs are a bit lower pitch at similar tensions, probably due to the wood orientation. I'm honestly not hugely impressed with the snare, but I have been playing Yamaha Copper, and Acrolite, an an old Gretsch USA COB lately, so I may just prefer metal over wood at this point. That satin black sold me on the kit actually. This is the first time I have shopped looks over sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'll be watching for how you set it up with the rack. I love that satin finish!!
    Me too - it's really classy. It came down to this kit vs. a Gretsch Renown in white marine pearl.

The rack should be here Wednesday and my evening will be tweaking that to work. Pics to follow.

User Info Menu

Those look really nice, Redeye. I know what you mean about a rack.

Got those babies squeezed right in there don't you? LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Nice Rich! Love the finish, is this your first set of Dubbs?
    Thanks Red! Yes it is my first.

User Info Menu

I see that Shure Beta 52 sitting there outside the reso head and just have to suggest this:
    http://www.dwdrums.com/may/mics.asp?...E=DSMABETA52BD

They make a non-drill kit that routes the audio out the vent hole. with a neat bracket. I love the sound. And having a solid resonant head can allow you to use that resonant head to make the kick really punch. Plus the added cool factor of just telling the sound guy, "I just need an XLR cable from you"
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Greetings drum fans, Here's my new Collectors series Blue Glass with satin chrome hardware.

Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous DW, Collin. Congrats, bud!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    Greetings drum fans, Here's my new Collectors series Blue Glass with satin chrome hardware.

Gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Hi everyone!
    I'm new here I just took delivery of my first set of DWs. It's an Eco-X kit in natural over banana with chrome hardware. I'm so exited and I feel like a kid at Christmas. But better.
    I haven't had the time to set the kit up but I'm sure it sounds great. It looks superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new here I just took delivery of my first set of DWs. It's an Eco-X kit in natural over banana with chrome hardware. I'm so exited and I feel like a kid at Christmas. But better.
    I haven't had the time to set the kit up but I'm sure it sounds great. It looks superb.
    Congrats! Let's see the pics when you get it setup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    My first DW kit. Design Series Satin Black. I've been playing mainly Yamaha for many years, but I decided to give these a go. I've got rack parts arriving in a couple days. I got too used to a rack with my last kit and don't think I can tolerate stands on my gig kit any longer.
    How do you like the kit so far? I am considering a new kit and I want one in North American Maple. The DW Design series seems to be the best value.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Thanks longgun! I will post pics as soon as it's set up right. I've just moved and the room it's in is not finished yet. It's rather cramped.

Specs: It was listed as a five piece kit (10/12/14/22 with a 14x5.5 snare) and I added an 8" tom. All X-shells (obviously). I'm thinking about also adding the 16" floor tom but I wouldn't know where to put it
    Cymbals are all Sabian: HHX Evolution pack (14" hats, 16" crash, 18" O-Zone crash, 20" ride), 12" AAX O-Zone splash, 10" AAX splash). Hardware is all DW 9000, mostly new, some used. I just ordered some more cymbal arms and puppy bones.

Some cool things to mention: the store owner's wife personally delivered the kit from Belgium and she happened to know John Good personally. And she threw in a free DW T-shirt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    I see that Shure Beta 52 sitting there outside the reso head and just have to suggest this:
    http://www.dwdrums.com/may/mics.asp?...E=DSMABETA52BD

They make a non-drill kit that routes the audio out the vent hole. with a neat bracket. I love the sound. And having a solid resonant head can allow you to use that resonant head to make the kick really punch. Plus the added cool factor of just telling the sound guy, "I just need an XLR cable from you"
    That looks like a great setup, but I don't think they sell it without the mic, which I already have. I have been thinking about a Kelly Shu, but I went ahead and just ported the kick drum for now.

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    How do you like the kit so far? I am considering a new kit and I want one in North American Maple. The DW Design series seems to be the best value.
    So far (2 gigs in), I really like the toms. I've found that I do need a little gel to dampen the heads, even with electric guitars on stage. I've been going wide open on my toms for several years, but these just have a ton of overtones. Maybe it's the stock heads. My guitar player, who rarely notices anything outside of his own rig, even commented that the toms sound way better than my Stage Customs (birch). To be honest, the kick is nothing special. I think the mic/amp/sub combination has much more to do with a good live kick sound than the actual drum. I've haven't recorded this kit yet, so that opinion could change.

Here's how the rack turned out last weekend. I already had two 30" bars to use as vertical legs, and two 42" bars to use a horizontals, so I just ordered a Gibraltar stealth rack because all I really needed were the feet and 90 degree clamps. I failed to realize that while a 30" leg will clear the bass drum just fine, the toms are still to low. I want to use just L-arms, and the toms ended up too flat. I had to cut down the 42" bars to around 34" to use as vertical legs. This left me with a 30" cross bar, which just barely works. I had to place the legs behind the bass drum spurs. It looks like I'm in skinny jeans, but the placement is okay. I also has to ditch the side arm, as 30" is way too short. I may or may not add a side arm later. The stand with a cross bar pictured below works pretty well for now.

No cymbals for clarity in the picture...

User Info Menu

A couple more...

User Info Menu

^^Nice tight set up you got there Shane. I sort of did the same on my Collector's kit but used two curved bars to tie stands together. I decide to leave the rack at home.

20" ride tied to a 14" crash with a 24" curved bar:

Rack tom stand tied to the hihat stand with a 24" curved bar:

User Info Menu

Why are you attatching stands together?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Why are you attatching stands together?
    Because the stands will fall over due to not enough space to spread the legs out. I found both to be very unstable without being tied together. The ride will tip towards the bass drum and the tom stand will tip towards the hihat stand
    Last edited by late8; 03-14-2017 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I've had some issues with tipping myself. Especially the ride. I have a crash stand right next to the first floor tom, and it's almost impossible to get the ride exactly where I want it without fully extending the arm. Looks like you gave me an idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've had some issues with tipping myself. Especially the ride. I have a crash stand right next to the first floor tom, and it's almost impossible to get the ride exactly where I want it without fully extending the arm. Looks like you gave me an idea!
    Mike, I can clearly see your issue. Your ride is exactly where I would want mine to be and I too have a crash next to the floor tom. By the way...beautiful kit!

9872.jpg

User Info Menu

I give up: Redeye, what's with that mismatched, silver/gray FT in the middle photo (without cymbals for clarity)?

So far (2 gigs in), I really like the toms. I've found that I do need a little gel to dampen the heads, even with electric guitars on stage. I've been going wide open on my toms for several years, but these just have a ton of overtones. Maybe it's the stock heads. My guitar player, who rarely notices anything outside of his own rig, even commented that the toms sound way better than my Stage Customs (birch). To be honest, the kick is nothing special. I think the mic/amp/sub combination has much more to do with a good live kick sound than the actual drum. I've haven't recorded this kit yet, so that opinion could change.

Here's how the rack turned out last weekend. I already had two 30" bars to use as vertical legs, and two 42" bars to use a horizontals, so I just ordered a Gibraltar stealth rack because all I really needed were the feet and 90 degree clamps. I failed to realize that while a 30" leg will clear the bass drum just fine, the toms are still to low. I want to use just L-arms, and the toms ended up too flat. I had to cut down the 42" bars to around 34" to use as vertical legs. This left me with a 30" cross bar, which just barely works. I had to place the legs behind the bass drum spurs. It looks like I'm in skinny jeans, but the placement is okay. I also has to ditch the side arm, as 30" is way too short. I may or may not add a side arm later. The stand with a cross bar pictured below works pretty well for now.

No cymbals for clarity in the picture...

[/QUOTE]
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I give up: Redeye, what's with that mismatched, silver/gray FT in the middle photo (without cymbals for clarity)?
    That is the LP Raw Street Can - It's steel, looks crazy, is heavy as hell, and basically just sounds like a floor tom with no bottom head. Comes in 14/16/18. I have the 18"

I muffle it with a Remo Zero Ring and use it when I have to ride on the floor tom with my right hand. I get a really nice almost bass drum sound, and my 16" floor tom is still available for fills as normal.

J25744000001000-00-500x500.jpg

User Info Menu

Cool updates everyone, keep them coming! I wanted to make an update about yet another adventure of drum head selection with my DW's.

I decided to go against my own rule of never running a 2 Ply Coated on my DW's ever again, and wanted to try one more time now that I have better knowledge of how they like to be tuned and what not.

When I had to replace the stock DW Reso Heads, I decided to go with Evans Genera Resonant [Clear] and eventually combined those with Remo Clear Pinstripes. I was impressed with how much sustain I was still getting despite the 2 Ply head, I thought I would give another shot to a 2 Ply Coated set since the Clear's were singing well.

Originally, I was going to try some Remo Emperors [Smooth White or Coated White] but the store I was at didn't have a 12" I wanted, and I really didn't want to mix and match, so I went back to my original formula of Evans G2 Coated White, which I originally hated on my DW's. I also didn't have good experience with Remo coating in the past so maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

After combining Evans G2 Coated White with Evans Genera Resonant [Clear], I was glad with still how much sustain I was getting, but I was also getting the right amount of overtones without it being too annoying. The articulation is also very evident with these heads as well. The Genera Clear Resonant's also open the 2 Ply heads a lot which originally I did not have those when I ran G2 Coated originally.

After having my kit for almost a year now, I think the main thing is just figuring out where your drums like to be tuned in combination with whatever head you're using. I think any heads will sound great on such a high end kit, but first you have to be familiar with where your drums sweet spots are with whatever head you have.

For example: My DW's like to be tuned lower with the DW Coated/Clear heads, and with the Evans G2 Coated, they like to be tuned higher. It's all about your ability to tune with what head you are using. These drums are meant to sing and they should with any type of professional drum head.

That being said, I still love the DW Coated/Clear heads for that "huge" sound, but I wanted to give them a break, bring some warmth back to my kit and not rush through the life of those heads as they are an expensive 1 Ply. I wanted something a little bit more durable for practice sessions that I know will last for a while.

In regards to my 10" and 12" rack toms: Running a G12 Coated or a G1 Coated would probably be a better option for mine to get a bit more sustain, but again it wouldn't be too noticeable as any sustain would get lost in the mix anyway. My 12" is the hardest to tune, but I got it deep, sustaining, articulate and singing with this head combination.

I am very pleased with the results and we'll see where it goes from there! It's such a fun adventure!
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom