Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

cool snare man, 15" heads arent impossible to get. You may be limited in selection though
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

My kit shipped today!
    Along with a 9900 Airlift stand with boom attachment and a 9500 Hi-hat stand!

EEEEH GIMME TRACKING INFO!
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

That 15 inch snare would make a sweet second line snare drum. So jelly
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    That 15 inch snare would make a sweet second line snare drum. So jelly
    If I wasn't in love with my 8x14 might use the 15 as my main snare.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Default Black Nickel over Brass

Does anybody have any experience or own the Black Nickel over Brass snare from dw? I've seen videos online, but wondered if it's been a snare you enjoy using...and is it hard to keep clean - looks like it would be a fingerprint magnet! They sound great online - and they are priced well.

Also, how do these compare to the Ludwig Black Beauty snares, which I believe are basically the same (nickel over brass). Are they made differently or is one of 'higher' quality, etc? I don't have much knowledge of Ludwig snares so forgive the dumb questions!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Nickel over Brass

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwitherow View Post
    Does anybody have any experience or own the Black Nickel over Brass snare from dw? I've seen videos online, but wondered if it's been a snare you enjoy using...and is it hard to keep clean - looks like it would be a fingerprint magnet! They sound great online - and they are priced well.

Also, how do these compare to the Ludwig Black Beauty snares, which I believe are basically the same (nickel over brass). Are they made differently or is one of 'higher' quality, etc? I don't have much knowledge of Ludwig snares so forgive the dumb questions!
    I've owned a DW Collector's Series 6.5x14 BNOB snare drum for about 3 month now. It's equipped with the Mag. Throw, 3P Butt Plate, stainless steel True Pitch T-rods & 3mm True Hoops. The drum is rolled and welded from a 1mm single sheet of brass. The welded seam is flawless and is only visible from the drum's interior if your really trying to find it.

This snare has become my workhorse and I really enjoy playing it. I have not had any issues keeping it clean, but I'm not paying particular attention to fingerprints. A simple wipe down with a soft polishing cloth is the only cleaning I have done so far.

From what I have seen locally, the Ludwig BB is approximately $200US more than the DW. The shell manufacturing process for these two snares are quite different. The BB is machine drawn and spun into a seamless beaded shell. This involves slowly stretching the metal while it's rotating, kinda like a potter and clay.

An closer shell comparison would be between the DW BNOB and the Ludwig Black Magic. These shells are are still manufactured from a single sheet of brass, but then rolled into a cylinder and joined by a vertical weld. The BM however, has a horizontal center bead, a slightly thicker shell (from what I remember) and uses die cast hoops.

When snare hunting I decided I wanted a thin shelled brass snare. Owning a DW kit, I was partially drawn to the DW snare because of the way it looks with my kit. The snare really sounds wonderful and is sensitive. It's also lively with beautiful overtones and great sounding cross sticking and rim shots.

And behind the kit...
    Last edited by areFish; 07-31-2012 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

those snares are sick!
    not sure which one i like better :D
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Everything AreFish said is correct. I've owned a 7x13 Black Magic, and I've played the BNOB snare many times (14x6.5). I can say without a doubt I like the BNOB better. Like areFish said, its not comparable to the black beauty. The BB is a much dryer, "vintage-y" sounding snare where the BNOB is much more of a rock snare. Either way, its a fantastic snare, and is priced very well.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

After removing the coated head off my 12" tom for the first time today, I realized that the Jazz series shells have an inner ply of vertical grain maple. This means the shells follow the VLT or Built-In-Bottom concept. This explains why they sound so huge! :D
    So yeah, the Jazz series goes perfectly with my VLT snare! W00t!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I've owned a DW Collector's Series 6.5x14 BNOB snare drum for about 3 month now. It's equipped with the Mag. Throw, 3P Butt Plate, stainless steel True Pitch T-rods & 3mm True Hoops. The drum is rolled and welded from a 1mm single sheet of brass. The welded seam is flawless and is only visible from the drum's interior if your really trying to find it.

This snare has become my workhorse and I really enjoy playing it. I have not had any issues keeping it clean, but I'm not paying particular attention to fingerprints. A simple wipe down with a soft polishing cloth is the only cleaning I have done so far.

From what I have seen locally, the Ludwig BB is approximately $200US more than the DW. The shell manufacturing process for these two snares are quite different. The BB is machine drawn and spun into a seamless beaded shell. This involves slowly stretching the metal while it's rotating, kinda like a potter and clay.

An closer shell comparison would be between the DW BNOB and the Ludwig Black Magic. These shells are are still manufactured from a single sheet of brass, but then rolled into a cylinder and joined by a vertical weld. The BM however, has a horizontal center bead, a slightly thicker shell (from what I remember) and uses die cast hoops.

When snare hunting I decided I wanted a thin shelled brass snare. Owning a DW kit, I was partially drawn to the DW snare because of the way it looks with my kit. The snare really sounds wonderful and is sensitive. It's also lively with beautiful overtones and great sounding cross sticking and rim shots.

And behind the kit...
    Thanks so much for the response! I appreciate the pictures and details you included - perfect! Think I found my next snare - did you guys purchase them new or used? If new, were they in-store or did it have to be ordered from dw and how long was the wait time?

User Info Menu

They were on back-order until recently. I know the store that I work at got one not to long ago. The price is like $399 or something, fairly cheap I think for a great snare. Probably why they flew off the shelves.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the response! I appreciate the pictures and details you included - perfect! Think I found my next snare - did you guys purchase them new or used? If new, were they in-store or did it have to be ordered from dw and how long was the wait time?
    No problem PW. I bought mine new a few months back. It was a challenge finding it at the time. Like Spatz mentioned they were on back order. Have time for a long story? Good.

I called around locally trying to find one to no avail. I then started calling shops within about a 2 hour drive. I found one shop an hour and a half away that said they had a DW BNOB 6.5x14 and 5x14. I don't believe it is offered in a 5" deep model so I was perplexed as to what this drum was. This particular shop has several outlets, one of which close. They had these two drums gophered to the shop near me the next day. When I went to take a look, the 6.5" deep drum was a DW brass snare with the thick heavy shell. Nice drum, but not what I was looking for. The 5" deep snare was a Pearl snare (didn't find out what model). I was disappointed as neither drum was the DW BNOB.

I then called a retailer several states away, hoping they had one ready to ship to me. They told me they would have to one. If I wanted triple flanged hoops I could get it faster then if I wanted True Hoops I was told. I guess the True Hoops were in short supply at the time. I wanted to try another shop first. Realizing no one had this snare I called that shop back. He was wrapping up shop, I gathered, and asked me to call him back the next day.

About 20 minutes later the shop that sent the two snares for me to look at called. He said he found what I was looking for and had it right in front of him. I played 20 questions to make sure it was indeed a DW 6.5x14 BNOB with True Hoops. He assured me it was and read the model number. I asked what the condition was as I wasn't interested in an abused floor model. He said it was untouched in the box. I took a 90 minute drive the following day and picked up my new snare. $400US.

User Info Menu

sounds like a very reputable company. YEAH WE HAVE 2 DW BNOB, except one is a pearl, and the other isnt black nickel... makes sense.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    sounds like a very reputable company. YEAH WE HAVE 2 DW BNOB, except one is a pearl, and the other isnt black nickel... makes sense.
    They really are a good shop. Miscommunication happens. In the end I was happy to have a snare I didn't have to order.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    They really are a good shop. Miscommunication happens. In the end I was happy to have a snare I didn't have to order.
    Atleast you got one

Yeah $400 is a great price, cheap for a DW-anything.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Hey guys - I have a question regarding the SSC shells. Does dw have a standard for configuring shells...such as all of the 10, 12, 13 inch toms get VLT...all 16 and 18 inch toms get X shells, etc?

I know you can pick and choose whatever you desire...but does dw have a 'recommended' shell type for each size? Also, I've heard recently VLX+ - how is this different than VLX?

The sizes I'm interested in are:
    7x8
    8x10
    11x14
    13x16
    18x22 or 18x20 (can't decide)

Thanks for your time!

User Info Menu

can you guys believe that an add-on 7x10 jazz series finishply tom is gonna be about 700 bucks!? holy crap!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    can you guys believe that an add-on 7x10 jazz series finishply tom is gonna be about 700 bucks!? holy crap!
    Must be a shortage of Maple and Gum I have a 2012 dw price list that I found online. And it has the prices of all the drum types and sizes. For each category it says 'add $130 for Jazz Series'. So basically take the price of the single tom and add $130 to get the Jazz Series price...why are they that much more? Do the die-cast hoops cost that much?

User Info Menu

Must be a shortage of Maple and Gum I have a 2012 dw price list that I found online. And it has the prices of all the drum types and sizes. For each category it says 'add $130 for Jazz Series'. So basically take the price of the single tom and add $130 to get the Jazz Series price...why are they that much more? Do the die-cast hoops cost that much?
    Must be hoops and the up-charge for the bearing edge being 30 degrees LOL The dealer here in town said it is a 30% up-charge for Jazz series. OI!

Where is this pricelist you have? can you send me a copy?

User Info Menu

Patrickwtr, the answer to your question on SSC is..."yes". DW has a recommended SSC configuration for each size which is intended to blend the tones / timbres. You can order anything you want but it's not advisable as they know what they're doing and it works. I have a 7pc. collectors exotic kit with 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch toms and a 14 X 5 edge. The "standard" SSC is; 8 is X, 10 and 12 are VLT, the 14 is X, the 16 is VLX, and the edge is VLT.
    I thought I would be choosing the shell types with a rep 'till the owner of the shop told me they always let DW do it their way.
    They sound like no drums I've ever played. Pure notes and harmonic overtones. The 16 VLX borders on a tympani. Of course you can dampen them to any degree you want to achieve a more vintage rock sound if you like but it's nice to have the option to have such musical drums. I like them open and singing which seems to be more popular than the thump and whap of yesteryear. I have added no damping other than a trimmed down pc. of gel on the snare but that's me. The bass drums, 20" in my case, are VLX and come with a built in damping system and, of course, sound wonderful. I ported my bass reso to get the feel I was used to. I could go on & on but to me they are the pinnicle. Expensive?...no doubt! Can you get super fine drums from other builders?...Definitely! Is there one Co. a little ahead of the rest?...well I guess it's obvious where I stand on that subject.

User Info Menu

IT HAS ARRIVED!
    Tom stand is an Airlift stand, which is pretty awesome btw.
    The whole album can be viewed here http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...tzST/dw%20kit/

Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Got to tell us how it sounds man! Looks like the Burnt Toast Lacquer I have on my Collector's Series. Congrats! Oh, and where did you purchase them from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Patrickwtr, the answer to your question on SSC is..."yes". DW has a recommended SSC configuration for each size which is intended to blend the tones / timbres. You can order anything you want but it's not advisable as they know what they're doing and it works. I have a 7pc. collectors exotic kit with 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch toms and a 14 X 5 edge. The "standard" SSC is; 8 is X, 10 and 12 are VLT, the 14 is X, the 16 is VLX, and the edge is VLT.
    I thought I would be choosing the shell types with a rep 'till the owner of the shop told me they always let DW do it their way.
    They sound like no drums I've ever played. Pure notes and harmonic overtones. The 16 VLX borders on a tympani. Of course you can dampen them to any degree you want to achieve a more vintage rock sound if you like but it's nice to have the option to have such musical drums. I like them open and singing which seems to be more popular than the thump and whap of yesteryear. I have added no damping other than a trimmed down pc. of gel on the snare but that's me. The bass drums, 20" in my case, are VLX and come with a built in damping system and, of course, sound wonderful. I ported my bass reso to get the feel I was used to. I could go on & on but to me they are the pinnicle. Expensive?...no doubt! Can you get super fine drums from other builders?...Definitely! Is there one Co. a little ahead of the rest?...well I guess it's obvious where I stand on that subject.
    Thanks Noreastbob - I like my toms wide open as well on my dw's - I love hearing the tone and ring cut through the music. I've got a Collector's Series that was made in 2001 - it would be interesting to hear the differences between same sized toms but with one set having SSC.

User Info Menu

Yeah, what a stunner. That kit is gorgeous.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.