Page 8 of 118 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I took the Birdseye kit to a gig, I don't do that very often

RM, Those are breathtaking. The finish is so rich and vibrant.

Is your snare really at that extreme an angle or is it just the picture making it appear that way?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Ummm....wow.

-Les

User Info Menu

it is the pic, my snare tilts back a little but not a lot.

Thank you for the kind words,
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Woooooowww.... That kit is marvellous...
    - Zack

User Info Menu

The red is just so deep and rich..... awesome kit, Rob.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thank you all,
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

The reason I love DW is how inovative they are. I was happy to hear about the VLT and the X shell, and making kits with the different shells, that is cool to me, and now after seeing this video...I reeeeeeaaaally want a set of customized DWs these new things look soooooo cool.

VLX shell!
    snares made out of a single plank!
    more crazy finishes!

.....and PDP
    23" bass drum!!!

and camo finish!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFDNlVGnX_M"]YouTube - DW Drums at NAMM 2009[/ame]

User Info Menu

That is an outstanding video. WTG, DW!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

yeah that is a very good video, that guy knows his DW finishes. those are impressive 1" thick snares!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The reason I love DW is how inovative they are [...] snares made out of a single plank!
    Noble & Cooley actually deserve the tip of the hat for that one, as the SS snare has been commercially available since 1983.

http://www.noblecooley.com/prod_classic.html

User Info Menu

Hi all... I'm new here. This is my first post, so I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I've been playing since I was about 11 years old. My influences as a young drummer came mainly from guys like Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Nikko McBrain, Gil Moore (from Triumph if anybody actually remembers that band), and later on from drummers like Mike Portnoy, Scott Rockenfield, among others.

Anyway, as I was reading through this thread I saw that somebody earlier in this thread had asked if anybody had a DW "hybrid" kit that combines X shell and VLT shells. Well, I happen to have such a kit. I ordered it in November 2008 and I just got them in February 2009. This will have been my 3rd DW kit so I'm not exactly new to DW. The 18x22 kick, 12x14 and 14x16 toms are the new X shells. The 8x10 and 9x12 toms are VLT with reinforcing hoops. The snare is an edge. I gotta say, this is by far the biggest sounding kit I have ever played. The deep tone of the x shell 14 and 16 floor toms defies their size. The 10 and 12 rack toms have a punch and a fat round tone that I love. For comparison sake, my last kit was all VLT shells with no inner reinforcing rings. Although they sounded great, the reinforcing rings on the new kit really add a "punchiness" to the tone.

Right now I still have the original factory heads and I really like them. I typically don't care for Remo heads either. I've been using Evans G2, and most recently EC2 coated on my last kit and I'm debating swapping these out. I also like the Emad kick drum heads.

The rest of the kit consists of Gibraltar rack which I've modified and cut down all of the pipes to make it more compact and easy to lug around, DW snare stand, and Iron Cobra pedals and hihat (with Cobra Clutch drop clutch pedal), and Zildjian cymbals.

Anyway, as far as the finish goes... it's not a standard DW finish. I wanted an amber/reddish burst that they didn't exactly offer as standard. I also wanted the burst effect to be very subtle and not look like the cheezy burst finishes with real distinguished hard lines when you transition from one coler to the next. I wanted the transition to be very subtle and gradual. Louie at DW nailed it perfectly based on the pics I sent him. Also, when they built the kit I had them lay up the outer ply in the traditional horizontal orientation on all of the drums so the grain direction matched. I didn't care for the look of vertical or diagonal grain on the outer ply. The snare is a carryover from my last kit and has custom tribal graphics inspired by my tattoo and my lucky number "13"

Well, I'm looking forward to posting here more and getting to know you all.

So anyway, here's a pic of the new tubs... hope you like 'em. They are an absolute joy to play, and a lot of fun to look at. The pics don't do them justice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Looks like my finish without the Birdseye, very nice.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Siberian,

That's a beautiful set of DW's.

Also Welcome to Drum Chat.

Cheers,
    John
    "No Sharezies!"

User Info Menu

very very nice kit!! i love the snare, welcome aboard

User Info Menu

Wow! beautiful set of DWs Siberian! Welcome to DC!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

what a pretty finish siberian! How much did that cost you? An arm and a leg? (Yes that is a joke towards the drummer from Def Leppard) :-D
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Looks like my finish without the Birdseye, very nice.
    Yea pretty similar except yours looks a little more like tobacco burst... correct? On mine I told them no brown. Just amber/red.

Say, I noticed on your floor tom you have a RIMS style floor tom conversion kit. Is that the Gauger version? I was thinking of getting something like that for using when I don't want to lug the entire kit and rack around.

User Info Menu

Mine is just a cheap Tiwan version, it works great. I was using a tom stand, It was extra hardware and it was so unstable if I tried to hang my stick bag on it.

I am happy I made the switch.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Siberian, if those pics don't do that set justice, then...well I don't know what. They look awesome in the pics. Very, very nice set. I can tell you are a (wo)man(?) who knows what (s)he likes.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

Larrysperf Guest

it is the pic, my snare tilts back a little but not a lot.

Thank you for the kind words,
    I think you and Gmann have 2 of the most killer kits on here

User Info Menu

Mine is just a cheap Tiwan version, it works great. I was using a tom stand, It was extra hardware and it was so unstable if I tried to hang my stick bag on it.

I am happy I made the switch.
    Thanks... I could only find the gauger one online. Any idea where you got it from? I am contemplating the idea of fabricating something. Actually I could have ordered the kit with legs on the floor toms, but I just couldn't bear the thought of holes drilled and legs mounted to the shells. But a Rims style conversion would be nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Siberian, if those pics don't do that set justice, then...well I don't know what. They look awesome in the pics. Very, very nice set. I can tell you are a (wo)man(?) who knows what (s)he likes.
    LOL, thanks... yea I can be pretty picky when it comes to stuff like that. Sometimes I can be worse than a chick picking out a pair of shoes. Then again, when I'm parting with large sums of money on stuff like that, I like to be sure. Last kit I had made I had graphics painted on it and a year later I regretted it. This time I got something classy that still works with pretty much any kind of music.

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit, Siberian.

Welcome to Drum Chat.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's beautiful, Peach.

Here's the DW's.

WOW!!! Those drums look great!!

Joe

User Info Menu

Sorry for the delayed reply. I haven't checked this site in awhile. The toms sound phenominal! You would never believe it because of the depth. I'd put the Floor tom up against any drum twice it's depth. Yeah the mini-lugs are a cool touch and fairly rare I understand. The snare is a Noble & Cooley maple. Thanks for the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by G-MANN View Post
    Interesting Set. Nice.

I would like to know how those short Toms sound too.

I also see the entire has Mini Lugs.

Cheers,
    John