Page 97 of 118 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Best DW Factory Tour video yet!

Hey All,

I'm certain that this will not be news to anyone, and I'm just as sure that this has been posted here somewhere else, but the below is a link to Part 1 (the link to Part 2 is on YouTube) of a Mike Dolbear video of his DW Factory Tour (this part is 1/2 an hour, the second part is also half an hour). Somehow, I just found these this morning (how had I missed them?), and this is THE best DW tour I have ever seen, with Thomas Lang and John Good being in almost every minute of it. I learned some things that I heard for the first time on these videos, and you get to see some details of the manufacture and DW concepts that I think any DW fan will absolutely love!

I, for one, was mostly impressed with how clearly in love John Good remains with what he does for a living, even after many decades of doing this drum thing. I'm also happy to hear, at the very end of part 2, when John is asked what single drum kit he loves best, that it's the HVLT cherry kit, and spoke specifically about the cherry kit video that they did with Mick Fleetwood...which was my personal inspiration for ordering the cherry kit that will hopefully be at my house in the next few weeks. That said, watching this video makes me sad that I don't have the room, nor the money, to get/have several DW kits!

If you haven't seen this, and you're a DW person, do yourself a favor and watch!! Also, if you have not yet seen "The Cherry Picked" Fleetwood video, watch that, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQOEe4ETHw

P.S. I was just watching the first part again, and at about 13:00, they show where the plies are glued together before putting them into the 'pressure machine' to compress them into a shell. I was astounded at how the worker seemed to be so casual at putting the piece together on the bench after coating the 'center ply' with glue. What I guess is the most interesting part is how insanely precise the length of the plies must be cut, before that step, so that they butt up end-to-end in a perfect diameter shell (whatever diameter the shell happens to be). I wonder what the tolerance of the length must be...a thousandth of an inch?
    Last edited by cabasner; 06-13-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

"Anyone interested in an essentially new Demon Eliminator Direct Drive double Pedal, P3002D, with case, never gigged, in essence brand new, with a pair of the Pearl wood beaters for that pedal (in addition to the standard felt beaters)?"
    Are you giving them away?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Are you giving them away?
    No such luck Actually, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in a good deal on my pedal; if so, I'd consider the new DW MDD pedal. I probably should post it in the For Sale section.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Cabasner...PLEASE get the MDD so we can hear all about it!!! I have finally come to terms with my 9002's and continue to incrementally get them even better...but...I could wind up getting the direct drives. I learned on direct drive Speed Kings in the '60's.

You first.....

User Info Menu

LOL Bob, are you trying to urge me to financial ruin??? Joke!

I have just put my Pearl Demon pedal in the For Sale section of the site; we'll see what happens. Turns out that I can get what amounts to a reasonable deal on the MDD pedal from the dealer I'm getting my new kit from. Should be about $850 plus free shipping. Still crazy expensive, but I'd do it if I could sell my Demon for a decent price.

User Info Menu

It bums me that the double is SO much more than the single.
    The adjustments look way more straight forward and easier to operate. I also think I like the solid direct connection. No momentum induced chain slack, no matter how slight it may be. Where your foot board is correlates to exactly where your beater is. The physical difference may be minuscule but the feel could make a big difference.
    And it's pretty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    It bums me that the double is SO much more than the single.
    The adjustments look way more straight forward and easier to operate. I also think I like the solid direct connection. No momentum induced chain slack, no matter how slight it may be. Where your foot board is correlates to exactly where your beater is. The physical difference may be minuscule but the feel could make a big difference.
    And it's pretty.
    All of that Bob. But, you do have to account for the linkage between the pedals, and a larger case. But given that you are, in essence, 'buying in bulk', it seems you should get something a break (i.e. less than double) on the price. But I guess they must be selling them, or the prices would already be dropping. It was interesting that on the Dolbear DW factory tour that I mention a few posts previously, they didn't get to see the metal shop, or whatever part of the factory does the machining, such as for the pedals. They say it's all made in California, and I believe them, but I wonder if the CNC stuff is at a separate location, or in a separate building. That would have been cool to see. i've written to the 'info man' at DW to try to find that info.
    Last edited by cabasner; 06-14-2015 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Yahoo! Got word today that my new Collector's Cherry kit is in the assembly phase! Hopefully, not too long, now!

User Info Menu

Seems I'm the only one posting in this thread of late. But...news from my dealer! My kit was shipped from Oxnard today! All I need wait for now are the drums to get to New Jersey, then get turned around and sent to me! Woohoo!!! Not sure how long that will take, but figuring longest time ground shipping...maybe a week from this coming Friday?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Seems I'm the only one posting in this thread of late. But...news from my dealer! My kit was shipped from Oxnard today! All I need wait for now are the drums to get to New Jersey, then get turned around and sent to me! Woohoo!!! Not sure how long that will take, but figuring longest time ground shipping...maybe a week from this coming Friday?
    Congrats! Be sure to post pics when it arrives!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

They block youtube at work but I can't wait to get home and watch these!

User Info Menu

Congrats on your kit getting shipped. Thats an awesome feeling

User Info Menu

I should go to one of the open houses they have, I'm only an hour drive from DW in Oxnard. I just hate driving on the 101 fwy......It sucks!

User Info Menu

Question to cabasner... any word on where your cherries are? Seems they should be on their way from NJ to you by now. When did they ship from the factory? It seems the custom build time has lengthened from 2.5-3.0 months in 2010 to 3.5-4.0 months now. It could even be a bit longer but it's hard to tell with the convoluted shipping situation you're in.
    Can't be much longer now....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Question to cabasner... any word on where your cherries are? Seems they should be on their way from NJ to you by now. When did they ship from the factory? It seems the custom build time has lengthened from 2.5-3.0 months in 2010 to 3.5-4.0 months now. It could even be a bit longer but it's hard to tell with the convoluted shipping situation you're in.
    Can't be much longer now....
    Bob: Got 'em!!! Take a look here: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...w-33870p2.html Pictures near the bottom of the linked page, if you have your viewing set up like mine.

User Info Menu

Added a 10" Splash to my DW this weekend. It's slowly coming together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lancejoker View Post

So....just a small question.

Does that moon gel work very well on your hoop?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You'd be amazed by the difference. Lol. Seriously though,I had tuned the rack tom earlier and just laid it there and forgot to put it back.

User Info Menu

hahahaha that's funny!

User Info Menu

What a beautiful kit! And laid out in a very comfortable-looking arrangement. I'll bet it's a joy to play. And I love the finish. And the cymbals. Congrats!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Thank you. I love the kit and am happy with the setup. Just need to do something about hearing protection cause the room is pretty small.

User Info Menu

Great looking kit. Nice set up.

User Info Menu

Anyone running one of the Aluminum snare drums?

I'm looking to get one to go with the rack and hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Anyone running one of the Aluminum snare drums?

I'm looking to get one to go with the rack and hardware.
    Not DW but I have a TAMA Starphonic Aluminum. Gigged it with my Gretsch Renowns and TAMA BBs, a couple years ago.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Performance Series. You won't be disappointed. Got mine back in November and couldn't be happier