Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Has everyone heard of the new DW Eco-X line of drums?

DW provides drummers with yet another sonic option, while at the same time utilizing renewable resources, that's Eco-X. They are big, full sounding drums with a huge fundamental, and all of the warmth, resonance, and attack that Collector's Series drums are known for. These Eco-X floor toms not only satisfy drummer's needs with their huge sound and full frequency range, but they also satisfy the need to be environmentally conscious. The unique hybrid bamboo/birch shell provides increased high-end attack, while DW's X Shell technology offers unprecedented low-end response. Plus, DW drummer-friendly features such as True Pitch Tuning, Proportional Counter Hoops, and DW Heads by Remo USA all come standard. It's a giant leap forward in shell technology and everyone wins!

5cp shell pack at my local drum shop is going for just over $2700 - looks like an introductory price, and it says "shipped directly from the manufacturer", which means they don't have one in stock yet.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    this has to be the nicest finish i ever seen....
    No no no !! look at mine look at mine!! Oh I wish I had gold hardware though!!
    I don't know exactly how they do it, but they just sound fantastic- The shells have twice as many holes drilled into them as do my Mapex Orions, and the BD spurs use 4 holes per spur- Mapex-zero holes, and yet the sound- pureness of tone, I don't know how else to describe it- they're not louder, they just sound better!! (There are pics of both kits in my albums)
    Russ
    Last edited by funkyruss; 01-09-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: wanted to direct you to the pics- suffering from CRS too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's beautiful, Peach.

Here's the DW's.

Awesome finish....wow !!!

Larrysperf Guest

Come on over to Ludwig and talk to us old farts lol
    really nice drums guys and girls. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    No no no !! look at mine look at mine!! Oh I wish I had gold hardware though!!
    Russ
    WOW!!!!
    I just looked at yours and they are indeed beautiful!!!!
    I actually think they look better without gold...
    What is that, Olive Burl?!?!

User Info Menu

Hi all I thought I would poke my head in the DW thread and throw in my two cents. I havent played many kits (not even DW! why am I here!) so I cant speak for the sound but I do have a Pacific kit (because there is no way I can afford a DW kit) and love it. But Ive always wanted a DW kit. They are so classy to me, I love the round lugs,finishes,hardware everything. Also what I find cool is the new shell options: The VLT and the X shell. The idea of making a hybrid kit with different tones for different drums is interesting to me. While Im sure its not much of a sound difference, if I was recording that would be an option I would want. Also the edge snare seems awesome, any DW players here have one?

User Info Menu

Here's a marketing pic of the new Eco-X drums - available in natural or desert sand finish only, and only sold as a 5pc shell pack. List price is $4583.99, but the big online retailers are advertising it at 40% off for $2749.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

40% is the lowest DW will allow their dealers to discount any of their drums.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Question from the back- what is the 10 & 6 referring to in their product descriptions?

User Info Menu

Well, now that I am a member...here they are.
    The kick is 23" X 16"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Yea!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

23' bass drum yummyyy.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I have been using Evans EMAD kick heads for years now...won't be able to get one for this kit since Remo has the contract for the 23s...but it sounds killer!!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Question from the back- what is the 10 & 6 referring to in their product descriptions?
    It refers to a 10-ply Maple shell with 6-ply reinforcement hoops.

User Info Menu

Very nice! luvin the DWs
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    I have been using Evans EMAD kick heads for years now...won't be able to get one for this kit since Remo has the contract for the 23s...but it sounds killer!!
    So no one makes 23" except Remo, is what you are saying? Have you looked at Aquarian by any chance?

I got an Aquarian SK I with mine and was setup by the dealer. I think I like the II better and have one to try. Just haven't wanted to disturb what I have now. So it's not installed.

I guess from an educated and experienced dealer, he recommended the singly ply for the DW drum so if you can only get a REMO, at least you can look for a specific design. I hope this will help.

Me...I'd just buy one of each and try them all until I find the one I like.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So no one makes 23" except Remo, is what you are saying? Have you looked at Aquarian by any chance?

I got an Aquarian SK I with mine and was setup by the dealer. I think I like the II better and have one to try. Just haven't wanted to disturb what I have now. So it's not installed.

I guess from an educated and experienced dealer, he recommended the singly ply for the DW drum so if you can only get a REMO, at least you can look for a specific design. I hope this will help.

Me...I'd just buy one of each and try them all until I find the one I like.
    I have looked at all the companies and haven't found anyone except remo that's makes these specifically for DW. It came with a spare but when it's time to order a new one I have to go through a DW dealer to get it.

Who knows, maybe more companies will start making them too...but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

At least you have something and that is a relief and a back up is really good planning!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Tuning your DW Drums

So does everybody tune the drum to the note stamped on the inside of your drum, and if so how do you do this? Do you use a tuner?

Thanks !
    Russ

User Info Menu

I don't.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning your DW Drums

So does everybody tune the drum to the note stamped on the inside of your drum, and if so how do you do this? Do you use a tuner?

Thanks !
    Russ
    I haven't had to tune them yet. They are holding the tuning when I bought them and they've suffered since being in my possession.

After the ribs fracturing I did between Xmas and New Years, I couldn't carry anything so my DW's had to sit in my truck all week before playing my last gig last weekend. I did take them out last Sunday since I'm not playing out for a few months...but they performed flawlessly that last weekend.

Sometime yet this week I will drag them out of the cases and see how they fared.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I haven't had to tune them yet. They are holding the tuning when I bought them and they've suffered since being in my possession.

After the ribs fracturing I did between Xmas and New Years, I couldn't carry anything so my DW's had to sit in my truck all week before playing my last gig last weekend. I did take them out last Sunday since I'm not playing out for a few months...but they performed flawlessly that last weekend.

Sometime yet this week I will drag them out of the cases and see how they fared.
    Hope your ribs heal quick! I hate it when breathing hurts! Drumming is no walk in the park either, but its probably better than trying to sleep!!
    They seem to hold their tuning pretty good as long as the temp remains constant. (the drums not your ribs!)

User Info Menu

Hope your ribs heal quick! I hate it when breathing hurts! Drumming is no walk in the park either, but its probably better than trying to sleep!!
    They seem to hold their tuning pretty good as long as the temp remains constant. (the drums not your ribs!)
    LOL, thanks!

My drums went from room temp to in the 20 and holding for most of the week and then back into room temperature for the gig and then home where they are now. But they saw a serious temp change in that week between Xmas and New Years. I was bad worried but it doesn't appear like they took on any damage.

It's really funny (or not) what hurts when you crack ribs. Take for granted just putting on socks and then try it injured. Unreal!

I played the entire 4.5 sets with the cracked ribs. I was able to move my cymbals in closer and not lean into anything. With the rib wrap on, the pain was minimal or was it the meds, or maybe the Captain and cokes...

All I remember is everyone saying I started loosening up in the second set.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I tune each drum by ear to its own sweet spot, I could not tell what notes are stamped on the inside of any of my DW drums
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

At least you have something and that is a relief and a back up is really good planning!
    Absolutley. As soon as I replace the one I'm using now I will order a spare so I will always have a back up. And we got a last minute gig this Saturday...looks like I will have to break them in!

Click for Gear Pics!