Page 103 of 118 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2948

Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Here are some photos!

DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Last edited by druski_2k5; 04-24-2016 at 04:19 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

wow that's gorgeous druski, nice color
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    wow that's gorgeous druski, nice color
    Thanks, and I agree! I knew that was the finish I wanted from the moment I started looking into DW a few years ago. Pictures really don't do the kit justice.

I almost went with Satin Chrome hardware but I talked myself out of it and got a few second opinions as well. I am super happy with everything about the kit.

Learning how they tune with my head combinations, love how they sound. I've never heard drums resonate so much before!! They sound good high and low.

Can't wait to get back to them tomorrow!
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Gorgeous drums Druski...................love the way you have them setup.

User Info Menu

omg that blue is STUNNING!

And your setup is KILLER

User Info Menu

Ahhhmazing! Those are awesome!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    omg that blue is STUNNING!

And your setup is KILLER
    +1

Your main snare is a piccolo ? (I happen to like those a lot).

And what is that specific Tama double pedal in the photo ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Nice looking kit, druski.

Good call on the two floor toms and the 20" kick, looks like some nice sizes.

User Info Menu

There is a major drool factor to that kit. Well done sir

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    +1

Your main snare is a piccolo ? (I happen to like those a lot).

And what is that specific Tama double pedal in the photo ?
    Usually I run a Pork Pie 7x13 Little Squealer as my main snare, but I was experimenting with a Piccolo Snare as a main snare for a song I was working on.

The Double Pedal is a Tama Red & Black Iron Cobra double pedal, I got a really good deal on it at Guitar Center a few years ago and it just moved a lot better than my old Pearl Double Pedal.

I don't believe they are in stock any more, but brand new I think it was $200 and I got it for around $130 or $115.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Question for you DW players....What heads do you prefer on your DW kits?

I always ran Evans G2 Coated over G1 Clear on my Catalina Maples, and this combo sounds pretty good on my DW's, but shockingly, I think the stock heads sound better or at least maybe they resonate more to me!!! The G2/G1 combo on my DW kit sounds slightly choked whereas the stock heads on my DW kit make the drums sound a lot more lively, louder and much better overall.

I'm not a Remo guy at all, but in general, do you think 1 ply sounds better than a 2 ply head on your DW kits for a batter head? Maybe I should go with a 1 Ply Coated over a 1 Ply Clear would sound the best?

I like coated for the warmth but I am loving how the stock heads sound and I've never said that before. Or are the stock heads that come with the kit are the best to use for the Collector's Series?
    Last edited by druski_2k5; 05-04-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post

I always ran Evans G2 Coated over G1 Clear on my Catalina Maples, and this combo sounds pretty good on my DW's, but shockingly, I think the stock heads sound better or at least maybe they resonate more to me!!! The G2/G1 combo on my DW kit sounds slightly choked whereas the stock heads on my DW kit make the drums sound a lot more lively, louder and much better overall.

I'm not a Remo guy at all, but in general, do you think 1 ply sounds better than a 2 ply head on your DW kits for a batter head? Maybe I should go with a 1 Ply Coated over a 1 Ply Clear would sound the best?

I like coated for the warmth but I am loving how the stock heads sound and I've never said that before. Or are the stock heads that come with the kit are the best to use for the Collector's Series?
    I don't own a DW but I have always thought their stock heads were great for their kits. Other than price why swap out a great sounding clear single ply head with tone rings for a coated 2-ply head?

I would think a Remo Clear PS3 would sound pretty close to the stock heads and should be a little cheaper as well.

IMO for the most part single ply heads sound better on high end kits. Of course I just bought all new coated vintage emperors for my Absolute hybrids so what do I know : )
    Last edited by MDK; 05-04-2016 at 06:22 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The stock heads do sound great. They're meant to really show off the sustain of the drums and give that 'WoW' of out of the box factor. Single plys are too open for me on DW's though, they resonate too much. It really depends on the type of player you are. I need a more focused sound or things get out of hand quickly. I use g2 over g1 on my exotic kit and EC2's over Aquarian resoants on my finish ply kit. Personally, I'd leave the stock heads on for awhile. No need to change out perfectly good, new heads.

User Info Menu

I do like the stock heads, but I am an Evans fan. I really liked the EC1 when they made 'em. I felt like it was the closest head to the factory head in Evans line. I think I still have one set held back for that ultimate recording studio date!
    I like to use those E-Rings from Evans with single ply heads because it gives just a hint of overtone control without deadening the response of the head too much.
    I love resonance. If my toms rang for 10 seconds after I hit it I'd be happy with that.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...s-e-rings-pack
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will take all of that into consideration.

I put the stock heads back on my kit and WOW, the drums are in a whole other league now sound wise. The G2 Coated/G1 Clear sounded okay, better than my Cat Maples, but they sounded like they were choking my kit too much, which was hardly the case with my last kit, or maybe I just didn't realize it, I've always liked 2 Ply Coated on top.

I'm going to stick with the stock heads for a while.

Maybe in the future I will try to run a 1 Ply Coated over a 1 Ply Clear and see if they sound just as good or even better.

I broke my bass drum batter head, something I've never done before, so I'm replacing both tomorrow afternoon. Going to run an Evans Clear EMAD 2 Batter and an Evans EQ3 Coated Reso including a Kickport. Hopefully I can get some solid boom out of my 20 while keeping some good articulation with the smaller depth size.

These drums though....are the best I've ever heard. Love the sound I get now!
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

hey DW guys.. anyone ever use the DW Fly weight light beaters?

User Info Menu

More pictures can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/wesselkuit/...=3&pnref=story

This is an late 80's/early 90's purple lacquer pre- collectors kit in the sizes 8x8, 10x9, 12x10, 14x12, 16x14 and 22x18.

There was a matching 24x18'' that I left behind too. It was made later too, like the 8'', they rock the black brass badge.

They year of make is estimated by the seller at 1994. A special year for me, as Pink Floyd embarked on their ''Division Bell'' tour. A tour on which Gary Wallis and Nick Mason's DW kits tour always have been a huge inspiration for me too.

I can't wait to receive them from over the other side of the big pool.
    Last edited by musiqman; 06-05-2016 at 05:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like they changed out the RIMS system.

User Info Menu

These are the original Purecussion rims with DW's first mounting brackets from the time they took over the Camco machinery. This with the first DW badge on the kit makes me question the 94 date (as in, everything points to an 80's production) I have send an email to DW a few days ago, so lets hope they can clear things out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musiqman View Post
    These are the original Purecussion rims with DW's first mounting brackets from the time they took over the Camco machinery. This with the first DW badge on the kit makes me question the 94 date (as in, everything points to an 80's production) I have send an email to DW a few days ago, so lets hope they can clear things out.
    nice researching then. Hopefully DW clears it up

User Info Menu

The mounting brackets on the RIMS are not all the same. One of them has the wing nut on the front face while the others are on the side. It looks like a Gibraltar floor tom bracket.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The mounting brackets on the RIMS are not all the same. One of them has the wing nut on the front face while the others are on the side. It looks like a Gibraltar floor tom bracket.
    Good eye. I noticed that too. Kit looks decent, regardless.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Actually these are DW's first. The rack toms has them on the side, the hanging floors on the front (don't ask me why :P )

You can see them on this first age DW kit too:

The three differences with this first age kit and mine are: The missing t-rods, but these can be easily replaced (I would do that too, because these too unpractical for me) the black plastic Pearl-like BD leg side plates and the clear maple bd hoops.

This kit rocks the same hardware specs as mine with the screws on the mounts to the side, curious from which year these come from:

Yeah for such an old kit, they look amazing (aside the color, which is exceptional for me because I played on a red kit for 9 years)
    Last edited by musiqman; 05-20-2016 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Ahhhh! That's interesting. I think that's the first mount bracket with the wing bolt on the front face that I've seen. Definitely all beautiful kits!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham