Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Hey MD, see Shane's comments right before your post.

I do gig a Tour Custom kit (maple), and I really like it. I use the Yamaha 700 series single braced hardware and it's lightweight and amazingly sturdy and durable.
    Is this the second or third generation (or, does it have the tuning fork logo)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Is this the second or third generation (or, does it have the tuning fork logo)?
    My TC's were purchased new about a little over a year ago....they're 2007 model I believe, so I assume third generation?
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

The TCs are great sounding drums..I found a 5pc kit in Sakura White for $499
    Tempting.. but I already have made a trade for the Gretsch renoun Purewoods.. -Les

User Info Menu

Hey MD, see Shane's comments right before your post.
    yeah i know, but i wanna know from more people who have had hands on experience with the new ones.

User Info Menu

My TC's were purchased new about a little over a year ago....they're 2007 model I believe, so I assume third generation?
    Must be. They redesigned the hardware somewhere around 2003(?). First gen hardware has a red band, second has a purple band, and third is when the tuning fork logo came into use/ offset titlers/memory locks/wing nuts holding the boom at a 90 degree pinch instead of 180. Third gen is a bit lighter in weight, if I'm not mistaken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    The TCs are great sounding drums..I found a 5pc kit in Sakura White for $499
    Tempting.. but I already have made a trade for the Gretsch renoun Purewoods.. -Les
    That's a GREAT price if they're in good shape....but if you haven't seen the Sakura White in person, you could be in for a surprise. It's got a pinkish cast to it....I'm more of a fan of the old White Marine Pearl type of white finishes, so it wasn't appealing to me at all.

I'm thinking you're gonna be really pleased with those Renowns once you've had to chance to test drive em.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

That's a GREAT price if they're in good shape....but if you haven't seen the Sakura White in person, you could be in for a surprise. It's got a pinkish cast to it....

I'm thinking you're gonna be really pleased with those Renowns once you've had to chance to test drive em.
    Hmmm.. I have seen the Sakura white finish and I actually kinda like it!
    The sound of the TCs is impressive..I really liked the way yours sounded Norske.. The Renouns are indeed nice tubs..they are so pretty..I'm kinda afraid to take 'em outta the house to gigs! aww, poo! here we go again!..... -Les
    BTW, The TCs are in near perfect condition.
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 01-31-2009 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

nice edges

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    nice edges
    ...excuse me but....what? -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    nice edges
    you talking about the bearing edge? on what drum?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Ive got the yamaha stage custom advantage nouveau its got the most beautiful oak finish on it and i love my kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
    Ive got the yamaha stage custom advantage nouveau its got the most beautiful oak finish on it and i love my kit.
    any pix? I would love to see it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

i got the black oak snare, its the louder than a train station when the prez is in town. if i muffled it, it would give it the same qualities as my other snares ive had unmuffled, and mics on full blast. woot woot

User Info Menu

Yamaha 40th Anniversary Temple Silver
    This kit is on the Guitar Center new arrivals page. Interesting that the bd logo shows 2007. Anyway, I haven't seen this before. Seems to be a birch recording custom with a cool finish.

User Info Menu

those are an anniversary series. collectors stuff

User Info Menu

New Yamaha hardware. 9500 series pedals, 1200 series hh stand. I'm not sure about the smooth pedal board. No info on the Yammy website yet (surprise).

NAMM report - http://namm09.musicradar.com/news/ya...ds-and-pedals/

Press release - http://www.yamaha.com/namm/w2009/Pre...5112&DDL_CAT=0

Last edited by Redeye; 02-14-2009 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Yamaha 40th Anniversary Temple Silver
    This kit is on the Guitar Center new arrivals page. Interesting that the bd logo shows 2007. Anyway, I haven't seen this before. Seems to be a birch recording custom with a cool finish.
    I like the - YAMI TEMPLE Silver.

I've got the original catalog advertising the Washi shellpack and the Temple Silver drums. There are only 40 of each shellpacks out there somewhere in the world. Either (or both) would be nice to have!

WASHI is my favorite:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ShaneRoney;167247]New Yamaha hardware. 9500 series pedals, 1200 series hh stand. I'm not sure about the smooth pedal board. No info on the Yammy website yet (surprise).

NAMM report - http://namm09.musicradar.com/news/ya...ds-and-pedals/

Press release - http://www.yamaha.com/namm/w2009/Pre...5112&DDL_CAT=0

Figures.. I just picked up a new Yamaha Flying Dragon single..It looks a though all that really changed is the pedalboard. -Les I am really liking this long overlooked (by me) Yamaha HW!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I like the - YAMI TEMPLE Silver.

I've got the original catalog advertising the Washi shellpack and the Temple Silver drums. There are only 40 of each shellpacks out there somewhere in the world. Either (or both) would be nice to have!

WASHI is my favorite:
    Sweet. I had forgotten about those. Isn't that watercolored paper applied to the shell? The long lugs were a bad call with a graphic like that, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Sweet. I had forgotten about those. Isn't that watercolored paper applied to the shell? The long lugs were a bad call with a graphic like that, though.
    I hear what you're saying about the "long lugs", however these are a reissue of the "legendary" YD9000 drums.

It doesn't say in the catalog what the wrap finish is made of, it does say what it depicts: It's a GEMPEI WAR BYOUBU (folding screen) that tells a tale of the war between the Genji and Heike clans which is a record taken from Japanese medieval literature...........
    The original folding screen is located at the Takamatsu Historical Museum, Takamatsu, Kagawa Japan.

Drum sizes 2216, racks 10x9, 12x10, floors 1414, 1616 snare 14x6.5
    Birch 7ply shells, bearing edges 60%, Remo heads on all drums

I'm no big historian - I paraphrased the above from the 40 year Anniversary catalog I have. I'd say Yamaha did a smashing job on the idea and the drums. I don't own any Yamaha drums (yet) but the drums I've seen look pretty nice.
    Last edited by kona; 02-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'm now recalling something about the finish. I believe it was water-color on rice paper that was applied to the shell then finished over. I saw one at a Pasic convention and took a pic, which is now nowhere to be found of course. Beautiful.

User Info Menu

I keep forgetting to post this. I work at a sportswear company that decorates school jackets as part of its business. I wanted an excuse to get a big black wool and leather coat because Ohio winters really suck, so I had this made. I know its infringement, but they don't sell them and I won't make another, so I think I can live with myself. Plus, it looks cool.

I do get dirty looks from people with Harley jackets because they think it's a motorcycle coat.
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-16-2009 at 08:38 PM.

User Info Menu

i thought it was a wetsuit

User Info Menu

I use some Yamaha boom stands and straight stands, insanely stable. Best booms I've used.