Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1518

Thread: Yamaha Drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Darn if I don't keep running into these high end drum sets online... The latest I found on EBay, and it's a 4 piece Phoenix kit in gloss natural ash finish. It's got a 22x18 bass, and 10, 12 and 16 toms. All it needs for it to be perfect, for me, is a 14" floor tom, which could be ordered (about a 6 month wait, but I could live with that...) It's pricey, but it is available from one of the northeast shops. I sent them a note to see how long the kit has been in the store, and they said only about a month, so it's not old stock, it's really new. I would LOVE to have this set....to add to my DW...

I checked out the kit you're looking at. Really beautiful drums but man do I have some serious sticker shock.

I didn't pay that much for my 4 Japanese Yamaha kits combined.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Hi All,

My son and I recently started drumming lessons and we are loving it. We were lucky enough to stumble on an awesome set of used stage customs for sale. The previous owner bought them new over a decade ago as he thought of setting up a studio in his house for him and his bandmates to play in, but then life got in the way. These drums look like they have only been played a couple of times and the shells have no blemishes/scratches/rash. We are super excited to have a kit like this to learn on. sizes are 22inch kick, 12, 13, 16 toms, 14 inch steel snare. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will share a few of the kit.
    Sounds like you're referring to the Stage customs from the 90's?

The Pearl Export and Tama Rockstar of that era look very similar, but the Yamaha's are the clear winner in quality and sound. Nice find!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post

The Pearl Export and Tama Rockstar of that era look very similar, but the Yamaha's are the clear winner in quality and sound. Nice find!
    Hey, I loved my Rockstar!
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I love that you're doing it with your son. That is such a bonding point to last a lifetime.
    Thanks Johnny! We do Judo together as well (my 6 year old does that too), so I love having something else we are both interested in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post

I checked the Yamaha site I found a link to on this forum and the drums were built in 1999 (most in September, the snare in October). They sound great to me, my instructor is going to come over and show us how to tune the heads soon. Can't wait to hear what they sound like after that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Go for it bud, I just bought a brand new Harley....
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Do it! The Phoenix kits are so gorgeous!

Rob, You and Spaz are NO DARN help AT ALL!!!! .....not at ALL!!!!!
    And I want them SOOOOOO BAD!!!! They are looking at me like those poor lost puppies on the ASPCA commercials where the doggies look up into the camera and shake and look so forlorn and so unloved...that's what these Phoenix's look like to me....crying every night because they don't have their forever home ready to sweep them away to eternal happiness.... Those poor, poor abused drums...so very sad..... Terrified in the hand of those monsters in Portsmouth...who could leave them to such a horrifying fate, beaten every day, no love at all, none at all, ever...
    Last edited by cabasner; 08-15-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Two questions:

A) Do you think this Birch Yamaha color somewhat matches my vintage deep maple color kit?

B) Do you think it's possibly to carefully sand down the gloss and bring out just a natural finish with the shine?
    I don't know that I could take sandpaper to a finish that looks like that...but that's just me...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

^Guess I won't have to now!

I found another bass drum.
    It's not the exact size I wanted but I'll take it to hold me over!

Found a Yamaha Maple Absolute (not the maple custom) in the vintage natural finish on craigslist. The guy is willing to ship it to me so I'm super excited.

My kit is a step closer to being past stupid lol
    The wife was not so impressed like I was last night in finding this deal hahahahaha

User Info Menu

Here she is, my "new" set of Stage Customs in Cranberry Red.

User Info Menu

Nice choice. Really nice finish.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Nice classic Yams there!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I love the kit. Can't wait to get home and practice some more!

User Info Menu

Well members,

Finally picked up my new Stage Custom and it came with the UT Remo single ply heads..
    I wanna switch them so im asking what heads suit the birch best??

Coated ambassadors??

All feedback is appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by 1234CountMeIn; 09-01-2016 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1234CountMeIn View Post
    Well members,

Finally picked up my new Stage Custom and it came with the UT Remo single play heads..

Coated ambassadors??

Thanks
    I am interested in hearing the answer to this as well as I would like to swap out the original heads. I have heard Ambassador/Emperor combo as well as coated G2 over G1. Will be paying attention to the replies here.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1234CountMeIn View Post
    Well members,

Finally picked up my new Stage Custom and it came with the UT Remo single play heads..

Coated ambassadors??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    I am interested in hearing the answer to this as well as I would like to swap out the original heads. I have heard Ambassador/Emperor combo as well as coated G2 over G1. Will be paying attention to the replies here.
    My Gretsch Cat Maple came with Remo UT heads. They're essentially a clear ambassador that's made overseas. They're not bad, and I still have them on as reso heads. A coated ambassador will give a warmer tone with slightly less attack.

Edit: Oh, congrats on the new to you drums. My first kit ever was a Yamaha. Even though it was an entry level kit, I'll always have a soft spot for Yammies...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Added a nice condition Yamaha Beech custom to collection! I've been looking for one for a while and I finally found one in the color I want, for a GREAT price!
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    My Gretsch Cat Maple came with Remo UT heads. They're essentially a clear ambassador that's made overseas. They're not bad, and I still have them on as reso heads. A coated ambassador will give a warmer tone with slightly less attack.

Edit: Oh, congrats on the new to you drums. My first kit ever was a Yamaha. Even though it was an entry level kit, I'll always have a soft spot for Yammies...
    Thanks! I love the kit and love practicing. Now I just need to upgrade the cymbals (especially the hats) as the ZBTs are just not good.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    Added a nice condition Yamaha Beech custom to collection! I've been looking for one for a while and I finally found one in the color I want, for a GREAT price!
    Need pics!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I have a 98 stage custom and out of my six kits it's always been my go to kit. Just a real simple kit to tune,play,set up,etc.(even over my Mapex exotic Saturns).I may ad that it is also very mic friendly. The heads I like on my yammies are g2 clears.Though I did do some custom work on the tom mounts,male & female sides. Enjoy your Yammies!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 09-18-2016 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I have a 98 stage custom and out of my six kits it's always been my go to kit. Just a real simple kit to tune,play,set up,etc.(even over my Mapex exotic Saturns).I may ad that it is also very mic friendly. The heads I like on my yammies are g2 clears.Though I did do some custom work on the tom mounts,male & female sides. Enjoy your Yammies!
    Those look pretty darn sweet. The finish is so rich and deep. Nice

User Info Menu

Thank you much,Lefty!

User Info Menu

Here they are rack mounted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Gorgeous drums man!

User Info Menu

Yea That's a perfect kit.Two-up, two-down with a finish like furniture.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I had that same exact kit, finish and all. Was a gorgeous finish, the best sound I got out of that kit was a 2 ply clear on bottom as well as on top.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO