Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport security

User Info Menu

Default Airport security

would you be allowed to bring 7A drum sticks and a practice pad onto a plane

just so i know when for when i fly to canada

User Info Menu

Default Re: Airport security

I don't see why not. Though I would not recommend practicing during flight. ;-)
    Here is a link to the TSA's website listing prohibited items.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Even if you can, I cant think of anything more annoying than some guy playing away on a practice pad for 5 hours on a plane.

User Info Menu

hmm i was just wondering because if i can i can work on playing quiet which i have a problem with im just thinking it would be a great way to spend 5 hours learning a ridduiment book

User Info Menu

I'd think after about three hours, the guy/gal next to you may not appreciate it. You may have trouble sitting for the remaining two hours of the flight, if you know what I mean. And I think you do!
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

well its just for something to do on the plane i could bring a cloth with me to cover the practise pad so there would be little sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    hmm i was just wondering because if i can i can work on playing quiet which i have a problem with im just thinking it would be a great way to spend 5 hours learning a ridduiment book
    As long as you are fully prepared for the consequences, have fun! Being prepared in this case would be having a parachute on at all times. I think you may find yourself in freefall after about 40 minutes.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

well maby like half a hour every 2 hours or so

User Info Menu

If I do anything music related on a plane, it's jotting charts out using my MP3 player. I am a Drummer, I love drums, I love drummers, but if one started practicing, no matter how quietly, next to me, I'd have very serious words with him or the Stewardess. Remember, a fall from 39,000 feet probably won't kill you, but the stop at the bottom will.

Andy

User Info Menu

hmm i suppose but i can write charts

might just bring my sticks with me and air drum to some music

but the point to this thread is are you alowed drum sticks on a plane

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    hmm i suppose but i can write charts

might just bring my sticks with me and air drum to some music

but the point to this thread is are you allowed drum sticks on a plane
    Yes you probably are allowed to take sticks on a plane, but seriously, Air drumming? Goodness knows, it's annoying enough when someone is reading a broadsheet newspaper or fidgeting next to you. Imagine the fidgeting multiplied 100 times!

How would you feel if the person next to you suddenly started Playing Air Saxophone?

Can I seriously ask you, Have you ever been on a plane? Do you know how close together you are stacked on those things?

If you want to try anything, wprk on some co-ordination by tapping your toes inside your shoes, and your index fingers against your thumbs, but..... Many many people think drummers are noisy inconsiderate ... anyway, don't give them more ammunition.

Andy
    Last edited by drummer; 01-03-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Language

User Info Menu

Be prepared for someone to shove them up your nose if you hit something or bother someone with them!

User Info Menu

Continental Airlines told me no!

User Info Menu

awh dam ill just pack it in my bag

User Info Menu

That's the idea, Taz. Pack it and forget it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

yea im anoyed tho havent been getting to practise as much as i can on the drums which sucks

User Info Menu

Yup, pack em up.

User Info Menu

thats what im gonna do eventho im going to canada for 2 months to do music production=] so lets pray i get to play

User Info Menu

I think they can go in checked luggage, but not carry on.

User Info Menu

yea they can go in checked you can put almost anything there

User Info Menu

To answer your question, yes you can get them on the plane. I did. It wasn't until the plane was in the air that I thought about all the points everyone had brought up and I decided tapping my fingers on my knees was a better way to go. Everything else stayed in my bag.

You might also want to consider the type of pad. The pads with the steel beads in them might not make it on.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Default I can fly you

I am a pilot. I will fly you. in fact, bring your whole kit!!!!! We can jam out

User Info Menu

I've brought lots of music equipment in checked luggage. No problem there.

If they do allow drum sticks and pads on as carry on on the plane and you start air drumming or practising, then it will be the incident that ensures its illegality in future! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I travel the world and I always have sticks, pad and a book with me. I have never had a problem.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

sounds like a good idea except the whole thing with falling 39000 feet! too bad that its not seeming like you can. practcing for 5 hours would have been good. sory
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash