Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1163

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Rogers were years ahead of anybody (american) in hardware design. Some Japanese took their stuff back for analysis. The rest is history. Tama hardware became popular in the late 70's into 80's.

    I agree with Frank. When I'm smiling in my grave, I'm aint gonna give a rats rear end what the next guy thinks of mods I made to my drums. I intend to play them that long!

    all the best...

  2. #27
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    *****************************************

    Yes...it is the Pat. pending Swiv-O-Matic (Rogers). I had it installed in 1965 and it is still supporting the 9 x 13 tom. Will having it discount the collectibility of my set? I'm certain that it will. However, I bought the set to play and had no thought about having it for as long as I have. As for why, the Ludwig hardware was not very good, in my opinion. The rail consolette was okay but I was never able to tighten it sufficiently to support the weight of the tom. The Ludwig bass mounted cymbal holder wasn't much better either. I used a cymbal stand for the ride for many years. It's probably in the last 10 to 12 years that I replaced the original with a newer model by Ludwig...it is so much better. I have been chastised by many...that's okay. I'm the one who plays the drums.
    I think its great just hit it, Nuff said

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    I just visited my Vistalites at my brother's house this weekend. It was my niece's birthday and I went downstairs for more soda and there were my drums....

    Stacked in a corner, dusty, unplayed, unloved...

    Looked like a starving dog in front of the food store waiting for someone to rescue her....

    I need to clean out my basement and bring her home.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metalic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Go for it Cycle!

    all the best...

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    NO LAUGHING!!! I just purchased a new set of Ludwig Custom Elite's (5 piece)a week or so ago. Actually they were used but not played.This item was on the ol bucket list. Used to play as a kid many, many years ago. To be exactly 37 years ago.

    I think I picked up deal but want your opinion.... Throne, Zildjian ZBT's ,(crash, ride and hats) all with HD hardware plus a new set of REMO Roto Toms with HD stand 630 US or 900 Canadian in the frozen North. The cymbols are ok but eventually, a little better quality set of cymbols will sneak it's way into the house. (Don't tell my spouse please)

    Start lessons tomorrow evening to get back some of the rudiments and speed again.

    What do you think boys and girls.

    Vic
    Ottawa Ontario
    Canada

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Old feller View Post
    NO LAUGHING!!! I just purchased a new set of Ludwig Custom Elite's (5 piece)a week or so ago. Actually they were used but not played.This item was on the ol bucket list. Used to play as a kid many, many years ago. To be exactly 37 years ago.

    I think I picked up deal but want your opinion.... Throne, Zildjian ZBT's ,(crash, ride and hats) all with HD hardware plus a new set of REMO Roto Toms with HD stand 630 US or 900 Canadian in the frozen North. The cymbols are ok but eventually, a little better quality set of cymbols will sneak it's way into the house. (Don't tell my spouse please)

    Start lessons tomorrow evening to get back some of the rudiments and speed again.

    What do you think boys and girls.

    Vic
    Ottawa Ontario
    Canada
    go for it man. welcome to the forum and back into drumming. you are not alone on this forum. there are alot of older cats getting back into drumming here. almost enuff to start our own midlife crisis section.

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Like me a fellow Canadian also....with inlaws in Barr-Haven.

    all the best...

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Yes...it is the Pat. pending Swiv-O-Matic (Rogers). I had it installed in 1965 and it is still supporting the 9 x 13 tom. Will having it discount the collectibility of my set? I'm certain that it will. However, I bought the set to play and had no thought about having it for as long as I have. As for why, the Ludwig hardware was not very good, in my opinion. The rail consolette was okay but I was never able to tighten it sufficiently to support the weight of the tom. The Ludwig bass mounted cymbal holder wasn't much better either. I used a cymbal stand for the ride for many years. It's probably in the last 10 to 12 years that I replaced the original with a newer model by Ludwig...it is so much better. I have been chastised by many...that's okay. I'm the one who plays the drums.
    Unfortunately you're right, the tom mount will devalue the kit as a collectable. Alot of the hardware made back in the 60s was very unsturdy and just poorly designed which lead to a lot of people changing out the mounts. But since you are a "player" and not a "collector" it really makes no difference. The mount doesn't change the sound of your tom and functions 10 times better than the original. Seeing as you've had this set since atleast '65, it sounds like you have no intentions of ever getting rid of it anyways. It sure is a beauty of a kit Fiacovaz!

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Old feller View Post
    NO LAUGHING!!! I just purchased a new set of Ludwig Custom Elite's (5 piece)a week or so ago. Actually they were used but not played.This item was on the ol bucket list. Used to play as a kid many, many years ago. To be exactly 37 years ago.

    I think I picked up deal but want your opinion.... Throne, Zildjian ZBT's ,(crash, ride and hats) all with HD hardware plus a new set of REMO Roto Toms with HD stand 630 US or 900 Canadian in the frozen North. The cymbols are ok but eventually, a little better quality set of cymbols will sneak it's way into the house. (Don't tell my spouse please)

    Start lessons tomorrow evening to get back some of the rudiments and speed again.

    What do you think boys and girls.

    Vic
    Ottawa Ontario
    Canada
    BWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

    OMG, I CAN NOT CONTAIN THE LAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






    Nah, Just messing with ya. Alot of us here are ex-drummers who are relearning 10, 20, 30 years later.

    Welcome aboard, and have fun.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metalic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I just visited my Vistalites at my brother's house this weekend. It was my niece's birthday and I went downstairs for more soda and there were my drums....

    Stacked in a corner, dusty, unplayed, unloved...

    Looked like a starving dog in front of the food store waiting for someone to rescue her....

    I need to clean out my basement and bring her home.

    better yet..........why dont you clean out your basement and then bring those drums to my house , Im only 3 hours away , lunch is on me.

  11. #36
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    No bring them here frieght is on me lol

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Can anyone list in order from least expenisve to most expensive the different Ludwig lines/models??? I believe Accent is the lowest line right?

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    better yet..........why dont you clean out your basement and then bring those drums to my house , Im only 3 hours away , lunch is on me.
    Mmm, lunch with GF......

    $10 says it's a bacon sandwhich!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metalic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by huertaj925 View Post
    Can anyone list in order from least expenisve to most expensive the different Ludwig lines/models??? I believe Accent is the lowest line right?
    huerta , yes the Acsents line is the entry level kit for Ludwig , still a quality instrument , Im not sure what other lines they have after that .

    I only know this because the Acsent is what I got for my son . I play on an older hi-end Ludwig.

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Mmm, lunch with GF......

    $10 says it's a bacon sandwhich!
    You know me well . Its BLT's with extra bacon.........hold the lettuce and tomatoes , cause its less room for more bacon .

  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by huertaj925 View Post
    Can anyone list in order from least expenisve to most expensive the different Ludwig lines/models??? I believe Accent is the lowest line right?
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    huerta , yes the Acsents line is the entry level kit for Ludwig , still a quality instrument , Im not sure what other lines they have after that .

    I only know this because the Acsent is what I got for my son . I play on an older hi-end Ludwig.
    Yup - The Accent is their entry model, They also have a Centenial line, have a Classic Birch line and a Classic Maple line, the VistaLites and the Legacy Classics. I don't know if it's in order or not, but a quick visit to Ludwig's website should get you the skinny.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metalic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Just as a side note........I was surfing E-bay for used Ludwig items , and came across a vintage Ludwig tambourine for 14 bucks .

    It was in VG condition , and no I didnt bid on it cause Im not computer literate and dont have an E-bay account set-up and know nothing about pay-pal accounts .

    Other-wise that sucker would have been mine , I believe it was from the 60's. I wouldnt have played it , just kept it for the eye candy . Maybe there will be a next time .

  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Just as a side note........I was surfing E-bay for used Ludwig items , and came across a vintage Ludwig tambourine for 14 bucks .

    It was in VG condition , and no I didnt bid on it cause Im not computer literate and dont have an E-bay account set-up and know nothing about pay-pal accounts .

    Other-wise that sucker would have been mine , I believe it was from the 60's. I wouldnt have played it , just kept it for the eye candy . Maybe there will be a next time .
    GF if there's something you want on eBay, why not just have a friend with a PayPal account get it for you, and pay him back in cash.
    ****************************************
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    ****************************************
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

  19. #44

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    GF if there's something you want on eBay, why not just have a friend with a PayPal account get it for you, and pay him back in cash.
    LOL.......Im a guy and Italian.......we dont think that fast , thanks for rubbing my nose in it..........



    Seriously , I was going to call my brother because he does alot of E-bay stuff . But when I saw the auction , time was just about up . Hopefully next time I see something I can get a chance to toss in a bid . Thanks .

  20. #45

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    gf, I do a fair amount of ebaying and I'll hook you up if you see something you need.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metalic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  21. #46

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Thanks CD and Norske .

  22. #47

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    anytime, pal......

    even if you are an Eagles fan. :D
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metalic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  23. #48
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by huertaj925 View Post
    Can anyone list in order from least expenisve to most expensive the different Ludwig lines/models??? I believe Accent is the lowest line right?
    Junior and Nomad are the lowest then Accents up to elites then Maples to Legacey if you are talking new

  24. #49

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    My very first drumset was a 5 pc Pearl Export but wasn't called that at the time...(1970)??

    From there I bought my dbl bass 9 pc. Rogers which I had for almost 20 years. Then I got back into gigging and wanted to get something new. So I found these on a Friday afternoon and had to gig with them that night. It took a couple hours to get them tuned and set up and they served me well for almost 10 years.

    Here they are with my add-on TAMA rockstar tom set.

    Signature here

  25. #50
    Larrysperf Guest

    Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    My very first drumset was a 5 pc Pearl Export but wasn't called that at the time...(1970)??

    From there I bought my dbl bass 9 pc. Rogers which I had for almost 20 years. Then I got back into gigging and wanted to get something new. So I found these on a Friday afternoon and had to gig with them that night. It took a couple hours to get them tuned and set up and they served me well for almost 10 years.

    Here they are with my add-on TAMA rockstar tom set.

    Isnt that a set of Ludwig rockers?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •