Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1386

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

I agree, the Dragster seems to be the most practical configuration of the bunch and that finish will look stunning under stage lights. I've read really good things about these kits. They were discontinued some time back and are hard to find on the used market because drummers that have them seem to be reluctant to part with them.

What snare do you plan on using with this kit?

Can't wait to see the pics ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Pulled the trigger on these today;
    Attachment 14008

Also, one of these;
    Attachment 14009

USA made North American Maple shells, metal flake lacquer finish, the sizes I want...all "out the door" for under $1K. Couldn't pass it up. I now need to sell my PDP kit, Exports and probably my Premier XPK kit...and some cymbals, LOL.
    I checked my birth certificate to make sure it said Brian and not Bish, LOL
    I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Attachment 14008

Also, one of these;
    Attachment 14009

USA made North American Maple shells, metal flake lacquer finish, the sizes I want...all "out the door" for under $1K. Couldn't pass it up. I now need to sell my PDP kit, Exports and probably my Premier XPK kit...and some cymbals, LOL.
    Say what?!!?!?!?!?!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I heard a band not long ago at a local club and the drummer was playing a Centennial Zep kit.
    The drums sounded better than the player.
    I like those Centennials....................nice shells for the money, for sure...............and I like your choice of wrap.
    I've seen Ludwig shells from Taiwan that arrived in pristine-perfect condition.......................enjoy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    What snare do you plan on using with this kit?

Can't wait to see the pics ...
    I'll be using my new 14x8 Ludwig Supralite for bigger shows. Otherwise, my 13x5 Pearl Sensitone. Still planning on building a custom 13x7 with Keller Magnum Maple shell and using a set of old Ludwig bow tie lugs from a marching snare that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Say what?!!?!?!?!?!
    LOL, sorry. I seem to be in the same position as you. I've bought too many kits and need to hold a clearance sale!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The drums sounded better than the player.
    I like those Centennials....................nice shells for the money, for sure...............and I like your choice of wrap.
    Thanks! I assure you, I will not be doing them any justice with my playing either!
    I been eyeballing these for over a year. I saved up some money. When I saw them go on sale for 25% off, I decided to pull the trigger. I'm not a fan of hanging toms off cymbal stands, and I want to use my lightweight DW flat base stands, SO.....figured I'd also try the Atlas Arch mount. It replaces 2 lugs and doesn't require drilling. If it doesn't work out, no harm or foul (besides being out $96).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

figured I'd also try the Atlas Arch mount. It replaces 2 lugs and doesn't require drilling. If it doesn't work out, no harm or foul (besides being out $96).
    Sounds like a good risk -- I've never tried them but I do like the old rail-type system.
    I play 1-up, 2-down but I just put my small tom in a snare stand.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

This will be my first 1up/2dn setup. I've been playing 1/1 so long that when I tried the normal 2up at a gig a few weeks ago, it drove me crazy. I liked having 3 toms, but not having the ride directly in front really felt awkward. I like the general pitch of a 12" for starting fills, and I also like the punch and cut of a 14"FT. I'm thinking this setup will suit me well.

I'm ALL about reducing weight in the hardware bag and space on stage. If the Atlas rail works as good as the reviews, I'll be happy. Im a sucker for the vintage rail look too. I'm also thinking about buying another Atlas lug ($30) and using it to mount my ride to the kick drum. If that works, I can get by with only 2 flat base cymbal stands, hi-hat stand and snare stand (all lightweight versions).
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The new Centennial kit showed up today. Can't beat a 2-day free delivery! I had them shipped to a friends business 50 miles away so there would be someone to inspect and notate any damage before signing for them....as opposed to UPS leaving them on my front porch with no one home. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it there to pick them up until next week...and I have a gig tomorrow night. It will be torture playing my old kit, but I'll survive. At least I'll be able to play them at the next outdoor gig at the end of July.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it there to pick them up until next week...and I have a gig tomorrow night. It will be torture playing my old kit, but I'll survive.
    I don't know if I could wait that long ...

User Info Menu

I couldn't gig with them this weekend anyway. It's an outdoor beer garden and the stage is barely big enough for all 6 of us to stand on. It will be a tight fit even with my jungle kit. The steel player will need to set up on the ground beside the stage anyway.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Picked up the kit today. Had enough time to do a quick once-over inspection for damage and quality issues. So far, so good. There was a hole in one box (14"FT). When I took it out, I could see a VERY faint "dent" in the super sparkle lacquer finish. If you look JUST RIGHT, from the proper angle, you can see it. But, it's not worth worrying about. Yes...it's a finish, NOT a wrap. That's good for sound, but not as good for durability.

Initial impression; I'm VERY pleased. The "superflake" is fantastic. It's like sparkle with 3x as much flake in it...and bigger flakes as well. It honestly looks like glass glitter from a normal distance. The Centennial version of the mini-classic lugs are awesome. The quality of the chrome plating is better than my PDP Concept Maples, and the hardware is as good or better. The shells; FANTASTIC. The Maple (North American) is much better looking than my PDP Concepts. The bearing edges are pristine and appear to be of equal or even higher quality craftsmanship than the PDPs. The real test will be installing the heads and tuning. I won't assemble it until I have time to check all the screws, sand the edges of the lacquer finish, wax the bearing edges, etc..

The Atlas rail mount; WOW. What an incredibly well engineered and built piece of hardware.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Thanks for the informative details. Sounds like it's some serious eye candy and quality. Can't wait for pictures and a sound review.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I really hate to install the factory heads. I don't have enough money left to buy good heads, so I guess I'll have to do it.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Yes...it's a finish, NOT a wrap. That's good for sound, but not as good for durability.
    Initial impression; I'm VERY pleased. The "superflake" is fantastic. It's like sparkle with 3x as much flake in it...and bigger flakes as well. It honestly looks like glass glitter from a normal distance. The Centennial version of the mini-classic lugs are awesome. The shells; FANTASTIC. The Maple (North American) is much better looking than my PDP Concepts. The bearing edges are pristine and appear to be of equal or even higher quality craftsmanship than the PDPs.
    I am happy you are happy...................very cool.
    As you can see in my initial post above, I certainly thought the shells were wrapped.
    As for the quality -- I was blown away with the perfection of the shells I got from China when I received my Ludwig Epics in 2012..................exceptional.
    Glad yours are of the same quality build...................enjoy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Hope I don't sound like I'm dis'n on my PDP Maple Concepts. They are excellent quality drums that sound great. The PDP's run $729 for a 5pc (including snare). The Luddy Centennials run $1199 for the shell pack WITHOUT a snare. Big price difference....and probably very little discernible difference in sound and build quality. For the money, the PDP's are incredible, and arguably a better value.

That said, the PDP's just don't have the charisma and stage presence that these Centennials do.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Hope I don't sound like I'm dis'n on my PDP Maple Concepts. They are excellent quality drums that sound great. The PDP's run $729 for a 5pc (including snare). The Luddy Centennials run $1199 for the shell pack WITHOUT a snare. Big price difference....and probably very little discernible difference in sound and build quality. For the money, the PDP's are incredible, and arguably a better value.

That said, the PDP's just don't have the charisma and stage presence that these Centennials do.
    I had no idea the centennials were that cheap. Makes me want to finally look into a Zep kit you don't have to spend a fortune on!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I had no idea the centennials were that cheap. Makes me want to finally look into a Zep kit you don't have to spend a fortune on!
    I have found these kits marked down on occasion to less than $1K for 14/16/18/26..............available in 6 different finishes that all look good.
    There have been a few times when I was ready to pull the trigger on these shells but I have yet to do so.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Yep. I was REALLY tempted to go for the Zep kit. To get Ludwig shells that size, made from North American Maple, for well under $1K is an incredible bargain. Even at regular price they're a bargain. Since I already have vintage '69 shells in 14/16/18/28 as a project, I decided the 12/14/16/22 would make a lot more sense. Otherwise, I'd never get around to finishing my project kit, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Attachment 14008

Also, one of these;
    Attachment 14009

Dang I'm gone for few months and my hero at refurbishing drums bought a brand new Ludwig kit?? Wow! I can "smell the showroom" from all the way out here in Cali. Sooooweeettt! Congrats man!
    Last edited by late8; 08-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.

User Info Menu

LOL. Thanks, Rich. I can refurbish, but I'm not much when it comes to playing them. Too bad we don't live closer. I'd fix 'em up and you could play them on your upcoming tours!

This week I sold my PDP Concepts...AND my old Pearl Exports. The new Ludwigs will be my new "big gig" kit and my old Premier XPKs will be the "beater" backup. The money from selling the PDP and Pearl kits will be used to finance the restoration of my other 2 Ludwig project kits; (#1) 12/13/16/22 in Black Diamond Pearl and (#2) 14/16/18/28 in Orange Citrus Mod.

The sad part is my new Centennial kit is still unassembled and packed in the original boxes...just sitting in my basement. Who else but me would buy a new Ludwig Maple kit and just let it sit for a month?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Who else but me would buy a new Ludwig Maple kit and just let it sit for a month?
    Unthinkable.......................I would have worn out the original heads by now.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

LOL. Thanks, Rich. I can refurbish, but I'm not much when it comes to playing them. Too bad we don't live closer. I'd fix 'em up and you could play them on your upcoming tours!

This week I sold my PDP Concepts...AND my old Pearl Exports. The new Ludwigs will be my new "big gig" kit and my old Premier XPKs will be the "beater" backup. The money from selling the PDP and Pearl kits will be used to finance the restoration of my other 2 Ludwig project kits; (#1) 12/13/16/22 in Black Diamond Pearl and (#2) 14/16/18/28 in Orange Citrus Mod.

The sad part is my new Centennial kit is still unassembled and packed in the original boxes...just sitting in my basement. Who else but me would buy a new Ludwig Maple kit and just let it sit for a month?
    Ha! I've seen video of you guys and you can play Brian, no doubt about that. Thanks for the update. I can't believe the Ludwig kit is still boxed up but then again you're a pretty busy guy so "get on it!" and let's see them set up lol!

User Info Menu

Saw this on FB feed. Had to share it....
    IMG_0205.JPG
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Hey guys/gals, I'm new to Drum Chat. I have a Ludwig Centennial Zep kit coming. I know they were discontinued a while back. Does anyone know where I could order a 12" tom as a add on?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gman321; 09-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Saw this on FB feed. Had to share it....
    IMG_0205.JPG
    You win the internet today.
    Mmm... Saturns.