Thread: Trying not to succumb to GAS but...

User Info Menu

Default Trying not to succumb to GAS but...

what about this Gretsch I found locally? Seller claims it is brand new Gretsch Catalina Club. They dropped the price from $1600 (way too high) to $1250 still think it's on the high side. I already know that the Catalina series is not as good as the Renown, tho I love the walnut. Before I bought my Starclassic set I seriously considered Gretsch. Tips and hints: I'm not too concerned about saving a few bucks, okay in that dept., would I be happy with Catalina's if I can afford Renown or Tama 50th's? while the seller is throwing in hardware what would really be a good price?

Thoughts and snarky comments always welcome!

Screenshot 2024-01-21 164436.jpg
    Last edited by wr_stix; 01-21-2024 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying not to succumb to GAS but...

I'd hold out for the Renowns if it were me but I always pay more for the better overall quality. Those sure are pretty though!!

There's an older thread about it here with pros and cons regarding Gretsch Catalina vs Renown.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes I read through the Gretsch stickies and threads. My gal keeps threating to put an ad out saying drummer for hire, LOL. Saying I need to stop just playing for myself and get out there again. So I'm thinking maybe that would be a could playing out kit. I'd need the price to drop more. Not again because I don't have the cheese but since you can buy a new shell pack form the majors for that price I would want to feel better about a good deal.

User Info Menu

What about these then? It not the best picture but if I could get this seller down to $1100 or $1200. Renowns with hardware and some cymbals?

Screenshot 2024-01-30 140923.jpg

User Info Menu

Well just to update I went to see the set and bought it and all the hardware and cymbals for $1300 (not the sled). The kit has some scratches and dings but overall looks good. Here it is in pieces before cleaning and then setup for some testing.
    IMG_9386.jpgIMG_9388.jpg

fwiw it doesn't seem like there is much activity here these days. I dropped out (part of the problem?) and dropped back in but I do that on forums a lot. What happened?