Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1386

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The sad part is my new Centennial kit is still unassembled and packed in the original boxes...just sitting in my basement. Who else but me would buy a new Ludwig Maple kit and just let it sit for a month?
    I would but it would only be a day.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well, they're still sitting in the boxes,LOL. On the positive side, I now have a new set of clear G2's ready to install. I think I'll just use the factory reso heads to start.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gman321 View Post
    Hey guys/gals, I'm new to Drum Chat. I have a Ludwig Centennial Zep kit coming. I know they were discontinued a while back. Does anyone know where I could order a 12" tom as a add on?

Thanks
    So my Zep Cenntenials arrived today. The natural finish was awesome and the hardware seemed good and solid. As I began to install the heads on the 18 and the bass drum, I did feel a few questionable areas on the bearing edges. Two in the tom and one one the bass. I get the head on the batter side on the 18 and begin to put the bottom on and the head is tight and will not go on without being forced. So I get a tape mesure and measure 90 degrees on axis, the shell is 17"13/16ths one way and 18" and 1/16th the other. So it was 1/4" out of round. When I called customer service I was informed that they cannot replace one drum and I have to exchange the entire shell pack. I am thinking of just returning them and getting the Keystone X Pro Beat.

User Info Menu

I did feel a few questionable areas on the bearing edges. Two in the tom and one one the bass. I get the head on the batter side on the 18 and begin to put the bottom on and the head is tight and will not go on without being forced. So I get a tape mesure and measure 90 degrees on axis, the shell is 17"13/16ths one way and 18" and 1/16th the other. So it was 1/4" out of round.
    Out-of-round and questionable edges..........................wow -- too many serious mistakes.
    All of the Asian Ludwig shells I have seen have been excellent.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I agree, I wonder if these are subpar stock leftovers they are trying to get rid of. I have seen pleanty of quality drums from Asia which is why I went with the Cenntenials

User Info Menu

So I get a tape mesure and measure 90 degrees on axis, the shell is 17"13/16ths one way and 18" and 1/16th the other. So it was 1/4" out of round. When I called customer service I was informed that they cannot replace one drum and I have to exchange the entire shell pack.
    That's too bad. I ordered a Classic Maple Shell pack around 2003 or so and the 14 x 14 floor tom came in 1/4" out of round. My local drum center was able to get Ludwig to replace just this one drum and I had the new one in about a week and a half, probably because it was a common finish (natural) and they had some sitting around.

Hope that you get this resolved with minimum hassle ...

User Info Menu

Can a shell be reshaped?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Can a shell be reshaped?
    Actually, yes. I've had several old Luan shells that were out of round by about 1/4". I cut a reinforcement ring out another scrap shell of the same diameter and cut a slit in it. Then I gradually shaved material off of the ends of the joint until I could JUST force it into the end of the good shell. Once the ring was pressed in, the shell became "round" again.
    Unfortunately, that's not feasible (or desirable) to do on a new maple shell.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's a great idea to get a drum back into round. If I buy an old used kit with this issue, I would certainly try that. I decided to send them back and not exchange for another set of Cenntenials. Since they wanted to just swap a full set, I thought there was a good chance that the next kit in thier inventory was from the same lot and went though the same QA/QC inspector. The Cenntenials were actually my second choice and I only pulled the trigger because they were 25% off, right around $900. I took this as a sign and decided to just get what I originally wanted. I have a set of Keystone X pro beats in Night Oak on the way. Unlike the Cenntenials, these are still in production so if I have a problem again, Ludwig will just swap a drum and add ons are available.
    Last edited by Gman321; 09-23-2017 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the Centennials but the Keystones are also very nice..................go with it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I guess it would be a good idea for me to finally open up my Centennials and check them closer. All the edges looked good, but since I haven't assembled them yet, I didn't check the shells for roundness or warping.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

So I sent the defective Centennials back and decided to go with the Keystone X Pro Beat shell pack in Night Oak. They arrived last night. I unpacked them and upon inspection they were absolutely flawless. What a beautiful instrument. I only had time to unpack and assemble, I still need to finish tuning them and get every positioned just right. I will be locking myself in my Beat Laboratory all weekend!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Finally got around to assembling my new Centennials. At least I started. I got the 12" tom and the 14"FT assembled today. I checked them over real good, and so far only found a few minor QC issues on the 14". The shells were round and flat, but there was a small spot on one bearing edge where some of the finish lacquer had stuck to the edge. I used a razor blade to scrape it off, then finish sanded all the edges with 180 grit. The interiors all looked fairly good. They are finish sanded smooth, but there were a few spots on the 14" that had some slight pitting and roughness. When I checked all the lug screws, I found one that was not drawn up all the way. The washer behind it was loose and would have rattled. Turns out the screw was Cross-threaded in the lug. I was able to remove it and re-install it correctly. I waxed and polished the bearing edges and installed a new clear G2 batter. I used the factory Remo UT for the reso. I should mention that Ludwig used one Remo Abassador UT head for the batter, but their own very thin single ply (Diplomat weight) head for the reso. They tuned up easily and sound....fantastic!

So far, I'm a little disappointed in the quality control. It's not BAD....I'd give it a "B-". Its definitely not up to the level of my old PDP Concept Maples (which cost around half as much as these Centennials). However, they DO sound fantastic. The super-glitter lacquer finish is flawless and they look incredible.
    Hopefully this week I'll be able to assemble the 16"FT and bass drum...complete with the Atlas rail mount. I'll post an update with pics if I get a chance.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I can't get over how good these old 3 ply shells sound! I'm in the middle of stripping off a botched re-wrap job I did earlier this year on the 13"x9" rack tom and as I wait for the new wrap to arrive, I decided to put it back together and played it "as is" and it blew me away! The tone from these 50+ year old shells is phenomenal.

DE34C8D4-43A5-4809-A082-A3FE8082D69C_zpsgdwcpe5b.jpg

3B05CAC3-67DF-48DA-841C-BBB6C821B2BA_zpskjvt32uo.jpg

User Info Menu

New wrap, you say???

Any hints?......or will it be a surprise?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Speaking of Ludwig. (LOL) I just got this for my birthday...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcSMjybl...perryearldrums
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    Speaking of Ludwig. (LOL) I just got this for my birthday...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcSMjybl...perryearldrums
    Drooling! Very nice!!!

User Info Menu

Nice!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I can't get over how good these old 3 ply shells sound! The tone from these 50+ year old shells is phenomenal.
    I'd love to tackle that project...........................I miss my old 3-ply Luddies.
    And you put cast hoops on the batters ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'd love to tackle that project...........................I miss my old 3-ply Luddies.
    And you put cast hoops on the batters ?
    Yup. In my opinion, the cast hoops cut down the overtones to a point where I can play the tom wide open without any dampening. As you know they originally came stock with the triple flange hoops. I'm so glad Gretsch uses die cast hoops on the batter and reso on their upper end kits. My USA Custom kit seems to stay in tune better with the die-cast hoops. Maybe due to more tension from the heavier hoops?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm so glad Gretsch uses die cast hoops on the batter and reso on their upper end kits. My USA Custom kit seems to stay in tune better with the die-cast hoops. Maybe due to more tension from the heavier hoops?
    Great lugs and cast hoops; I've never (during the 40 years with my shells) had to adjust tension once I got it set.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thought I'd post a short update/review on the new Centennials. Here's a pic of them set up for their maiden gig on New Years Eve;
    IMG_0303.jpg

Long story made short; I love 'em. They look fantastic under lights. They sound every bit as good as I hoped they would...just like thin North American Maple shells with lacquer finish should. They tuned up quickly and easily. I installed clear G2 batters and used the original Ludwig/Remo single ply batters as the reso's. I love the 1up/2dwn and the 12/14/16/22 sizes. On the BD I'm using an Emad single ply and the un-ported factory reso...with nothing in the drum. It worked excellent that way with no mic on the kick. Great beefy tone with good thump.
    The Atlas rail mount is a real piece of work. Ludwig knocked it out of the park with the Atlas mount design. My only complaint is the ball mount post doesn't have height adjustment. I have a slight interference issue between the bottom rim of the 12" tom and the wing nut on the Atlas lug mount. The Atlas wing nuts are huge (2x big as a normal wing nut). I can either replace the wing nuts or move the rail to the opposite side of the lug mounts. Modular design is one of the great things of the Atlas mounts. The L-rod on the Atlas rail is larger diameter, so the mount bracket that came on the Centennial Vibraband (RIMS) mount just barely fits. I'll most likely replace the rim mount with one of the Atlas lugs anyway.
    Overall, the Centennial is a solid semi-pro kit. IMO, they sound like Pro-level USA made drums. The build quality is very good...but not top notch. I'd say 9.5 out of 10 for sound and looks. Maybe 8 out of 10 for build quality....but that's why they're $1200 Taiwan drums and not $2200 USA drums. Even so, they're fairly robust and solid. More than acceptable for a gigging kit if you treat them properly. I can live with that.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

N2Bluz, your Ludwig Centennials look awesome. I really love the finish on those drums. I'm assuming the rack is a 9x12 and the kick is a 16x22. My previous Classic Maple kit had those sizes and I found that when tuned properly, those depths gave just the right amount of attack and sustain. They also sound killer when mic'd, especially the kick ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thought I'd post a short update/review on the new Centennials. Here's a pic of them set up for their maiden gig on New Years Eve;
    IMG_0303.jpg
    Those are sweet!!!!!!