Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
Results 1,151 to 1,163 of 1163

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's the Hammond organ amp chassis my brother wanted. Paid $35 for it. It has all vintage black plate tubes. According to my brother, the tubes alone are worth a couple hundred.
    Boy you and your brother hit the jackpot today !! Nice score on that amp too . I'm into vintage hi-fi and I know about tubes .... $35 for that is a score .
    Good going !

User Info Menu

OK.....struck by GAS again. Walked into the "used" store to look at an old Hammond organ amp for my brother. Ended up walking out with this;
    Attachment 13669

Slightly used Supralite 14x8. Couldn't pass it up for $125.
    Wow! Another "used" shop score!! Very nice! The "used" shop stores here in my town don't have stuff like that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Boy you and your brother hit the jackpot today !! Nice score on that amp too . I'm into vintage hi-fi and I know about tubes .... $35 for that is a score .
    Good going !
    They're mostly RCA, but two are "Raytheon" 6VS6....or something like that, LOL. They all light up, but he'll test them with his tube tester to see what condition they're in.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow! Another "used" shop score!! Very nice! The "used" shop stores here in my town don't have stuff like that!
    Yep. Most of my stuff comes from there (music-go-round). I stop in every few weeks just to check it out. You never know what will show up and when. They always have an abundance of new surplus heads, used hardware, cymbals, drum cases/bags, etc.. They even have guitar parts and sound equipment. Glad I don't work there, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Installed a new Genera HD batter head on the new Supralite. One of the very few complaints about this model is that the snare wires won't stay tight. When I had the head off, I noticed something "odd"
    IMG_0845.jpg
    And the culprit;
    IMG_0846.jpg

That may explain the slipping snare cord issues(?) Tonight I'll remove the butt plate and hammer the "dimples" out of the shell. Then I'll install some shorter butt plate screws.

Just for fun, I may order some 3mm brass plated hoops and swap out the factory badge for and old brass Keystone badge I have laying around. I think the added brass will really look good with the chrome.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Installed a new Genera HD batter head on the new Supralite. One of the very few complaints about this model is that the snare wires won't stay tight. When I had the head off, I noticed something "odd"
    IMG_0845.jpg
    And the culprit;
    IMG_0846.jpg

That may explain the slipping snare cord issues(?) Tonight I'll remove the butt plate and hammer the "dimples" out of the shell. Then I'll install some shorter butt plate screws.

Just for fun, I may order some 3mm brass plated hoops and swap out the factory badge for and old brass Keystone badge I have laying around. I think the added brass will really look good with the chrome.
    It might be that someone dropped that snare on its side a some point . Hench the dimples . I've had that happen on my Chad Smith sig snare . Had to take the rubber mallet to it a few times .

User Info Menu

Brian, that was one heck of a good catch and diagnosis.

You have that spot on, IMHO!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    It might be that someone dropped that snare on its side a some point . Hench the dimples . I've had that happen on my Chad Smith sig snare . Had to take the rubber mallet to it a few times .
    It's a little hard to tell from the second pic, but the screws that hold the outer plate onto the main casting are so long that they protrude all the way through the casting (and hence push into the shell) before the outer plate can even get close enough to clamp on the snare cords. I'm talking like 1/8" too long!

As soon as I removed the outer clamp plate, the dimples in the shell and the 1/8" gap between the shell and butt-plate main casting actually disappeared! At first, I thought the previous owner probably mixed up the screws with the ones on the P85 strainer. The screws in the clamp plate on the strainer are actually 1/8" shorter. However, the screws are countersunk on the butt-plate and have a built-in washer that fits the countersink hole. It appears Ludwig QC screwed up on this one...everything looks factory original and untouched. I just added some small washers to the long screws and BINGO! Problem fixed.

I think Rick has a new Supralite....wonder if his is the same or if he's noticed.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Collesium Slotted snare. for those that have played one or own one, what does it sound like? seems to me they would be drier than dirt. deep, 12 lugs, the open slot, wooden... Just curious is all. I use to want one so bad... they looked so cool in the catalog

The regular one not the slotted
    Last edited by slinky; 04-12-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

User Info Menu

I'm stoked! just picked up a 16x18 Ludwig floor tom for my project kit. I over-paid a little but couldn't pass it up. The chance of finding another circa 1971 18", 3ply w/clear Maple interior...complete with hardware & badge...is pretty slim. It needs re-wrapped, but will be an exact match to my other shells. This will make it a 14x28, 10x14, 14x16 and 16x18 kit with Mach lugs. All '69-'71 3ply shells. Should be a good match for my new 8x14 Supralite snare. The only decision left is the wrap; Orange Citrus Mod or Lime Citrus Mod?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Great find!

User Info Menu

you do know you're 2 upping Bonham now
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    you do know you're 2 upping Bonham now
    LOL. Maybe, but I'm 2" short on depth for the 16" FT. I'm gonna use suspension rim mounts and hang the 14 & 16.
    -Brian