Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1386

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's the Hammond organ amp chassis my brother wanted. Paid $35 for it. It has all vintage black plate tubes. According to my brother, the tubes alone are worth a couple hundred.
    Boy you and your brother hit the jackpot today !! Nice score on that amp too . I'm into vintage hi-fi and I know about tubes .... $35 for that is a score .
    Good going !

User Info Menu

OK.....struck by GAS again. Walked into the "used" store to look at an old Hammond organ amp for my brother. Ended up walking out with this;
    Attachment 13669

Slightly used Supralite 14x8. Couldn't pass it up for $125.
    Wow! Another "used" shop score!! Very nice! The "used" shop stores here in my town don't have stuff like that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Boy you and your brother hit the jackpot today !! Nice score on that amp too . I'm into vintage hi-fi and I know about tubes .... $35 for that is a score .
    Good going !
    They're mostly RCA, but two are "Raytheon" 6VS6....or something like that, LOL. They all light up, but he'll test them with his tube tester to see what condition they're in.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow! Another "used" shop score!! Very nice! The "used" shop stores here in my town don't have stuff like that!
    Yep. Most of my stuff comes from there (music-go-round). I stop in every few weeks just to check it out. You never know what will show up and when. They always have an abundance of new surplus heads, used hardware, cymbals, drum cases/bags, etc.. They even have guitar parts and sound equipment. Glad I don't work there, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Installed a new Genera HD batter head on the new Supralite. One of the very few complaints about this model is that the snare wires won't stay tight. When I had the head off, I noticed something "odd"
    IMG_0845.jpg
    And the culprit;
    IMG_0846.jpg

That may explain the slipping snare cord issues(?) Tonight I'll remove the butt plate and hammer the "dimples" out of the shell. Then I'll install some shorter butt plate screws.

Just for fun, I may order some 3mm brass plated hoops and swap out the factory badge for and old brass Keystone badge I have laying around. I think the added brass will really look good with the chrome.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Installed a new Genera HD batter head on the new Supralite. One of the very few complaints about this model is that the snare wires won't stay tight. When I had the head off, I noticed something "odd"
    IMG_0845.jpg
    And the culprit;
    IMG_0846.jpg

That may explain the slipping snare cord issues(?) Tonight I'll remove the butt plate and hammer the "dimples" out of the shell. Then I'll install some shorter butt plate screws.

Just for fun, I may order some 3mm brass plated hoops and swap out the factory badge for and old brass Keystone badge I have laying around. I think the added brass will really look good with the chrome.
    It might be that someone dropped that snare on its side a some point . Hench the dimples . I've had that happen on my Chad Smith sig snare . Had to take the rubber mallet to it a few times .

User Info Menu

Brian, that was one heck of a good catch and diagnosis.

You have that spot on, IMHO!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    It might be that someone dropped that snare on its side a some point . Hench the dimples . I've had that happen on my Chad Smith sig snare . Had to take the rubber mallet to it a few times .
    It's a little hard to tell from the second pic, but the screws that hold the outer plate onto the main casting are so long that they protrude all the way through the casting (and hence push into the shell) before the outer plate can even get close enough to clamp on the snare cords. I'm talking like 1/8" too long!

As soon as I removed the outer clamp plate, the dimples in the shell and the 1/8" gap between the shell and butt-plate main casting actually disappeared! At first, I thought the previous owner probably mixed up the screws with the ones on the P85 strainer. The screws in the clamp plate on the strainer are actually 1/8" shorter. However, the screws are countersunk on the butt-plate and have a built-in washer that fits the countersink hole. It appears Ludwig QC screwed up on this one...everything looks factory original and untouched. I just added some small washers to the long screws and BINGO! Problem fixed.

I think Rick has a new Supralite....wonder if his is the same or if he's noticed.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Collesium Slotted snare. for those that have played one or own one, what does it sound like? seems to me they would be drier than dirt. deep, 12 lugs, the open slot, wooden... Just curious is all. I use to want one so bad... they looked so cool in the catalog

The regular one not the slotted
    Last edited by slinky; 04-12-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm stoked! just picked up a 16x18 Ludwig floor tom for my project kit. I over-paid a little but couldn't pass it up. The chance of finding another circa 1971 18", 3ply w/clear Maple interior...complete with hardware & badge...is pretty slim. It needs re-wrapped, but will be an exact match to my other shells. This will make it a 14x28, 10x14, 14x16 and 16x18 kit with Mach lugs. All '69-'71 3ply shells. Should be a good match for my new 8x14 Supralite snare. The only decision left is the wrap; Orange Citrus Mod or Lime Citrus Mod?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Great find!

User Info Menu

you do know you're 2 upping Bonham now
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    you do know you're 2 upping Bonham now
    LOL. Maybe, but I'm 2" short on depth for the 16" FT. I'm gonna use suspension rim mounts and hang the 14 & 16.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

SWEET! those are awesome. I've seen them in advertisements, but so far, your the only one I've heard from that owns one. They look fantastic with the flat base stands and Ludwig hi-hat stand....the whole setup.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Received the 18x16FT that I bought for my project kit. It was an original "Mach lug" drum, but the previous owner drilled extra holes to mount small classic lugs. I already have a set of Mach long lugs, so I figured I'd plug the extra holes, install my Mach lugs, and be good-to-go. BUT.....nothing's that simple.
    The Mach lugs I have are "medium" length that were used on 14" deep shells...and they don't match the holes. The 16" deep FT used the "long" Mach lugs. To make things worse, Ludwig changed the bolt spacing on the Mach lugs when the re-issued them, so new ones won't fit without re-drilling 2 new holes. I need a set of 10.5" long 70's Long Mach lugs, which are like hen's teeth.
    My options are;
    *keep looking for the proper long lugs
    *use "new" Mach lugs and drill/plug more holes
    *give up on the Mach lugs and just use small classic lugs on all the toms.
    Using small classic lugs would be easy, since the 14" & 16" toms are already drilled for them, and the 18"FT has been drilled for them as well. I could easily re-drill the 28" bass to accept small classics (or even large classics which may look more proportional). Value is really not a concern, since these are all orphaned shells with extra holes, concert toms, marching bass, etc.. This will be more of a hybrid "player kit" with modern features like suspension mounts, folding spurs, etc., but using vintage 3ply shells.
    IMG_0898.JPG
    -Brian

User Info Menu

MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Nice kit!

User Info Menu

Keystone X
    Yay or Nay?
    Last edited by hellride; 06-16-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Imo there are better kits out there at that price range
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Imo there are better kits out there at that price range
    Yeah well, I like the sound of them when watching youtube-videos. I think it's because of the oak. I like oak in drums. Yamaha Oak custom, Varus Oak etc
    System of Power

User Info Menu

I've been looking at them too. I like the mix of wood and the idea of Oak for live gigs. I REALLY like the yellow sparkle finish too. Maybe someday I'll be in the buying market again.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Pulled the trigger on these today;
    IMG_1063.JPG

Also, one of these;
    IMG_1064.JPG

USA made North American Maple shells, metal flake lacquer finish, the sizes I want...all "out the door" for under $1K. Couldn't pass it up. I now need to sell my PDP kit, Exports and probably my Premier XPK kit...and some cymbals, LOL.
    I checked my birth certificate to make sure it said Brian and not Bish, LOL
    -Brian

User Info Menu

N2Bluz, those Centennials look sharp; I love that finish; and maple shells to boot. Is this the exact configuration that you ended up getting? What sizes?

User Info Menu

Yep. Exact same. They still offer 3 different kit configurations of Centennials (all 1up/2down);

Zep- 14,16,18,26
    Moto- 13,16,18,24
    Dragster- 12,14,16,22

The pic is of the Dragster, which is what I ordered. I was VERY tempted to get the Zep, but it just wouldn't be practical. I can play the dragster as 12/14/22 or 12/16/22 in small venues and do the whole kit where space allows. I think the 2mm flake "super sparkle" will look awesome under multi-color stage lights. I was mistaken about the shells, however. I read somewhere that they were made in Monroe, but after more research, it appears they are Taiwan made. They ARE, however, North American Maple. I don't really expect them to sound any better than my PDP Concept Maples, but visually they should provide more stage presence. Also, should be different than the other local drummers.
    -Brian