Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1386

Thread: Ludwig Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drums Discussion

Nice, I have always liked the Centennials since I saw a great local bands (in my signature) drummer use them for 2 years. He had the 26" kick and man that kit sounded great. He mentioned the build quality was disappointing as well but they did sound and look fantastic. Did you install the rack mount yourself? I assume you have to screw that to the shell so I am surprised that you would move it and create more holes ?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, I have always liked the Centennials since I saw a great local bands (in my signature) drummer use them for 2 years. He had the 26" kick and man that kit sounded great. He mentioned the build quality was disappointing as well but they did sound and look fantastic. Did you install the rack mount yourself? I assume you have to screw that to the shell so I am surprised that you would move it and create more holes ?
    The new Ludwig Atlas mount attaches to the lugs on the bass drum. No drilling necessary.

ludwig_atlas_arch_rail-mounted_bass_drum_tom_holder.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thought I'd post a short update/review on the new Centennials. Here's a pic of them set up for their maiden gig on New Years Eve;
    Attachment 14686

Long story made short; I love 'em. They look fantastic under lights. They sound every bit as good as I hoped they would...just like thin North American Maple shells with lacquer finish should. They tuned up quickly and easily. I installed clear G2 batters and used the original Ludwig/Remo single ply batters as the reso's. I love the 1up/2dwn and the 12/14/16/22 sizes. On the BD I'm using an Emad single ply and the un-ported factory reso...with nothing in the drum. It worked excellent that way with no mic on the kick. Great beefy tone with good thump.
    The Atlas rail mount is a real piece of work. Ludwig knocked it out of the park with the Atlas mount design. My only complaint is the ball mount post doesn't have height adjustment. I have a slight interference issue between the bottom rim of the 12" tom and the wing nut on the Atlas lug mount. The Atlas wing nuts are huge (2x big as a normal wing nut). I can either replace the wing nuts or move the rail to the opposite side of the lug mounts. Modular design is one of the great things of the Atlas mounts. The L-rod on the Atlas rail is larger diameter, so the mount bracket that came on the Centennial Vibraband (RIMS) mount just barely fits. I'll most likely replace the rim mount with one of the Atlas lugs anyway.
    Overall, the Centennial is a solid semi-pro kit. IMO, they sound like Pro-level USA made drums. The build quality is very good...but not top notch. I'd say 9.5 out of 10 for sound and looks. Maybe 8 out of 10 for build quality....but that's why they're $1200 Taiwan drums and not $2200 USA drums. Even so, they're fairly robust and solid. More than acceptable for a gigging kit if you treat them properly. I can live with that.
    Man that kit looks fantastic Brian and I know it sounds as good as it looks too.. Thanks for the review!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The new Ludwig Atlas mount attaches to the lugs on the bass drum. No drilling necessary.

ludwig_atlas_arch_rail-mounted_bass_drum_tom_holder.jpg
    Thanks, Rich!
    Your spot-on. It's hard to see in my pic, but I have the arch mounted between the top two lugs (11 o'clock and 1 o'clock). I slid the rail in from the front side of the drum. Basically, that put the bottom rim of the 12" tom hanging directly over the 11 o'clock lug. The tom position was perfect in relation to the kit ergonomics, but it only left about 1/8" clearance between the rim and the wing nut on the lug. In fact, if the wing nut would just turn another 90 degrees before getting tight, it would be fine. I think I'll add a washer under the nut first. That should put the wing nut in a different orientation when tight.
    The other option is to move the rail to the 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock position lugs....or to the lugs on the reso side like your picture. Like I said, the Atlas design allows multiple mounting option and configurations. And, it's ROCK SOLID. honestly, the Atlas lugs, rail and mount by themselves weight almost as much as the bass drum itself, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If anyone has their eye on the Centennial "Zep" kit (14/16/18/26), I would suggest buying one ASAP. They are almost always on sale now. It would be a steal.

The beauty of the Atlas arch and mounts is what Rich posted. No holes to drill!
    I can move the lugs to any position on the drum. You can use the lugs to mount anything; a cymbal arm, floor tom legs, spurs, as a tom mount bracket....whatever you need. They have rubber isolation bushings built in. Plus....the lug bolt spacing is adjustable! You can use them on virtually any brand of drum. The only criticism is the weight. They are virtually over-engineered, but that's a nice change from the typical imported hardware you get on most drums.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

N2B:
    Love that silver glitter finish..................great looking set
    I've been playing the 1-up, 2-down configuration now for 5 years and love it.
    I've had the itch for one of those Zep kits ever since they were introduced...................so far I have suppressed the urge.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If anyone has their eye on the Centennial "Zep" kit (14/16/18/26), I would suggest buying one ASAP. They are almost always on sale now. It would be a steal.

The beauty of the Atlas arch and mounts is what Rich posted. No holes to drill!
    I can move the lugs to any position on the drum. You can use the lugs to mount anything; a cymbal arm, floor tom legs, spurs, as a tom mount bracket....whatever you need. They have rubber isolation bushings built in. Plus....the lug bolt spacing is adjustable! You can use them on virtually any brand of drum. The only criticism is the weight. They are virtually over-engineered, but that's a nice change from the typical imported hardware you get on most drums.
    You have the Atlas Arch close to where the rail consolette was located on the vintage Ludwig kits. Yeah, I can see that the edge of the rack tom hangs over the 11:00 lug but it looks much like the original consolette configuration which I like more than the one I posted.

1.jpg

The original rail consolette location:

e41471948fe562258a9305bffa3bc3d4--vintage-drums-vintage-guitars.jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

/\nice.

User Info Menu

Pretty cool, does that Atlas arch make it tougher to fit the bass drum into a travel bag/case? Is it easily removable so that you could take it off and put back on for every gig or would that be too much?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Pretty cool, does that Atlas arch make it tougher to fit the bass drum into a travel bag/case? Is it easily removable so that you could take it off and put back on for every gig or would that be too much?
    Easy. Just loosen the wing nuts on the two lugs and the arch assembly slides right out.
    466E68BB-B3D3-4D78-A08B-88A59797397B.jpg

The lugs basically just have a clamp built them...like tom mount bracket/lug combination.
    15B64984-117F-4FAA-B6E1-9C94429C9D02.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I just recently picked up a 5x14 Supra and it’s just amazing! I’ve had one before that I got for cheap and I sold it for a profit before I could really mess around it. It sounded great though and I had always felt like I should have kept it. Glad to have one back in the arsenal.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

It sounded great though and I had always felt like I should have kept it. Glad to have one back in the arsenal.
    I agree!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I love how the atlas bolts up to current lugs vs making a new hole.
    I love that it's also on the side or you can put it more on the side.

User Info Menu

Anyone tried the new Neusonic drums?

User Info Menu

Guess not

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Guess not
    lol Man, that's too funny!

User Info Menu

haven't heard of them, much less tried them.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default Recent Concert

image.jpg. Played this configuration of my 1981 Ludwig's at a recent concert. 10" 12" 14" 22". 6 1/2 X 14" Supraphonic.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

/\ nice!!

User Info Menu

I'll just leave this here
    IMG_0115.jpg

User Info Menu

Nice setup!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Nice setup!!!
    Thanks. The set up has become simpler the older I get.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hello all! My Ludwig kit has a 14 X 28 Bass drum, 10X14 Rack tom & a 16X16 floor tom with a 6.5 X 14 snare. This kit was one of the last Chicago kits. It was red sparkle but the wrap bubbled up BAD in the Band truck one summer so I stripped it & had a friend from Indy do a red - silver duco style paint job. Been thinking of re wrapping in red sparkle.
    I also have a GMS kit & a low end Maypex kit I use for open stage type gigs. These kits are also 4 piece sets.

Dave Huffman