Page 69 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 3092

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

I had a small Gretsch set in the 70s. I cost afortune back then (I think I paid about 1k for an 18,14,13) It was the best jazz set I've ever had, by miles. Harware sucked though.

User Info Menu

hey guys i am new to this site. i have been playing mapex kits for 15 years and the kid at guitar center talked me into this new catalina maple kitwith the retro bass drum mounts and mini gts mounts. cherry red. i wont be playing my mapex kits any time soon. i really love the feel of this kit. it sounds great with evans ec 2's on the batter side toms. fairly happy with the stock head on the snare. gonna throw a evans reversw dot on it this week end though. great kit. now i almost wanna move up to a renown already!!

all of a sudden i went from wanting a dw kit to being really happy behind a gretsch. wow what a surprise

kenny
    fillmore,in

User Info Menu

Hey MP, glad you like the Gretsch. When I got back into drums last year I went with a Catalina Jazz kit in Walnut Glaze and loved them. So much that I went ahead and picked up a used but in great shape Renown kit in Cherry Burst. You are right about the sound. I play mostly Jazz/Blues and I get compliments all the time on the sound. Gald to have you in the family.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marspro69 View Post
    all of a sudden i went from wanting a dw kit to being really happy behind a gretsch. wow what a surprise

kenny
    fillmore,in
    Yea Gretsch will do that to you.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    Yea Gretsch will do that to you.
    The same thing in my case. My long time dream was Sonor Delite kit and few days later I sat home behind the Gretsch and could not believe what happened.
    Gretsch New Classic in Black Fade
    10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18
    Snare Gretsch S-5514-SSM (solid maple plies) 14x5.5
    Sabian cymbals
    13" hats AAX studio top/HH fusion bottom
    14" AA extra thin crash
    16" HHX evolution crash
    17" HH thin crash
    21" Ed Shaughessy ride
    10" B8Pro splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marspro69 View Post
    hey guys i am new to this site. i have been playing mapex kits for 15 years and the kid at guitar center talked me into this new catalina maple kitwith the retro bass drum mounts and mini gts mounts. cherry red. i wont be playing my mapex kits any time soon. i really love the feel of this kit. it sounds great with evans ec 2's on the batter side toms. fairly happy with the stock head on the snare. gonna throw a evans reversw dot on it this week end though. great kit. now i almost wanna move up to a renown already!!

kenny
    fillmore,in
    Dude, I just LOVE my Cat maples. Congrats.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I was going to part with my Purewoods to help pay for a very special & personal drum kit but could not do it..........I just love these drums too much. They were an early retirement gift to myself not to mention they are nice to look at, built beautifully & sound amazing. I have other "irons-in-the-fire" regarding the special personal kit. If it comes to pass I will post story & photos on this Forum to be sure.
    No - I didn't beat Costco with the Christmas decorations - haha - these are old photos.

Last edited by kona; 08-18-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Great looking drums Kona!

Update: Gretsch has got back to me regarding the new color offerings for the Renown series. The new colors will be available this year, in November and no later than December (timed for the holiday buying season ofcoarse).

Looking forward to it!

User Info Menu

Yay! Finally got my account activated! It has taken a while but i've read this entire thread over the past few weeks, bit of a Gretsch nut I am and will post pics of my kit soon! I have 2 questions first though. First of all I hope people don't mind me asking who Frank was? I notice he is mentioned in the signature of alot members, was he a board member? Secondly why did Lesizmor get banned, seemed like a nice fella!?

User Info Menu

Hi creature... welcome aboard.

Frank was a longtime member who was very well respected and passed away unexpectedly last year. He was diagnosed with brain cancer IIRC, and appeared to be on the road to recovery, but made a swerve for the worse and didn't recover.

Frank was eager to help the struggling newbie with technique and tuning, or even the intermediate who'd get frustrated on a platau.

Lesizmor was also a longtime member, who was generally pretty cool and well liked by most. He was pretty knowledgeable overall, but he could get a bit opinionated at times and shall we leave it that he barked up the wrong tree.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

A big Drum Chat welcome to avdltd, marspro69, and creaturestudios!

BTW Kona, I still like that kit all lit up with the Christmas lights!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

BTW Kona, I still like that kit all lit up with the Christmas lights!
    Haha - ya thanks! We're in a heat wave here - nice to think about cooling snow.
    I could not part with these drums right now. I have them tuned pretty high - higher than usual - for a change and they sound pretty nice with the Tala Wands against them They sound sort of like a big set of Timbales with some deep bass-n-snare thrown in...fun stuff.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcomes! Thats very sad about Frank but it's very nice that he is remembered so fondly here!

Anyway as promised, my kit is a Gretsch Renown MK1 bought in the millenium and I absolutely love it to bits, has the thinnest shells I have ever seen on any kit at only 5mm! My precious snare is a Gretsch Solid Shell Walnut G5000 13X7, enjoy the pics!

Gretsch Renown Maple 2000
    10/12/14/22
    Gretsch Solid Series G5000 Walnut 13x7
    Sabian Cymbals
    14'' AAX Stage Hats
    12'' AA Splash
    16'' HH Thin Crash
    10'' HH Duo Splash
    12'' HH Mini Chinese
    21'' HH Raw Bell Dry Ride
    18'' HH Dark Crash
    20'' HH Dark Chinese
    Evans Heads, Vater Sticks, Pearl & Tama Hardware
    View My Kit
    http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Drum%20Kit/

User Info Menu

And some more:

10/12/14/22
    Sabian Cymbals
    14'' AAX Stage Hats
    12'' AA Splash
    16'' HH Thin Crash
    10'' HH Duo Splash
    12'' HH Mini Chinese
    18'' HH Dark Crash
    20'' HH Dark Chinese
    View My Kit

User Info Menu

Last ones:

10/12/14/22
    Sabian Cymbals
    14'' AAX Stage Hats
    12'' AA Splash
    16'' HH Thin Crash
    10'' HH Duo Splash
    12'' HH Mini Chinese
    18'' HH Dark Crash
    20'' HH Dark Chinese
    View My Kit

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit creaturestudios, and I'm guessing that walnut snare is nicely fat, even at the 13X7 size.

Oh, and BTW, I think the finish on the kit fits well with the decor of the room!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Ok, so I finally got my replacement hoops and just had time to take some pics. I am really diggin this set...last weekend was the first time I used it for a gig. One word....AWESOME ! Check it out...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Beautiful kit creaturestudios, and I'm guessing that walnut snare is nicely fat, even at the 13X7 size.
    Oh, and BTW, I think the finish on the kit fits well with the decor of the room!
    Hi Bob, thank you, must say you too have a beautiful kit! The G5000 is an amazing snare drum, it is fat sounding no matter how high it is tuned and is extremely sensitive-highly reccomended!
    10/12/14/22
    Sabian Cymbals
    14'' AAX Stage Hats
    12'' AA Splash
    16'' HH Thin Crash
    10'' HH Duo Splash
    12'' HH Mini Chinese
    18'' HH Dark Crash
    20'' HH Dark Chinese
    View My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Ok, so I finally got my replacement hoops and just had time to take some pics. I am really diggin this set...last weekend was the first time I used it for a gig. One word....AWESOME ! Check it out...

Those hoop look awesome on there nio! I really like the white reso on that kit too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by creaturestudios View Post
    Hi Bob, thank you, must say you too have a beautiful kit! The G5000 is an amazing snare drum, it is fat sounding no matter how high it is tuned and is extremely sensitive-highly reccomended!
    CS, if you get a chance to record it, I'd love to hear it, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post

Wow, I'm diggin' that big time, dude.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm really happy with the new Gretsch Catalina Rock. One thing I noticed about them is that they are very light drums. Note that this is a large sized set (13, 16, 18, 24). I have a smaller Sonor Force 2001s (with standard sizes 12, 13, 16, 22) which appears to be heavier. Now the 2001s are 9-ply Maple/Basswood and the Cats are 9-ply Mahogany. Is it the hardware or the mahogany is just much lighter than maple/basswood? I do know one thing though, the Cats sound great!

User Info Menu

sorry to change topic so suddenly; just thought i'd post a pic of my catalina maples to see what you Gretsch drummers out there thought...

[IMG][/IMG]

hope ya like it! ask any questions...

User Info Menu

Jameister
    Very nice drums & the setup looks great.
    Myself I like my ride a little closer (on the right).......but I'm old haha - I like stuff easy to reach, mostly - depends how many cyms I have in the mix. I also have my ride (rack) toms reversed - on my Renown kit.

Yours looks good. Ya - beautiful drums - love the finish
    Last edited by kona; 08-18-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jameister View Post
    sorry to change topic so suddenly; just thought i'd post a pic of my catalina maples to see what you Gretsch drummers out there thought...

hope ya like it! ask any questions...
    That's an awesome shot Jameister! I know how I feel about my own Catalina kit, so I encourage you to include pics from other angles too. Show those beauties off!!!