Page 107 of 124 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3092

Thread: Gretsch Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drums Discussion

Thanks Tex
    Practice went really well with the new kit. This weekend it’s my Catalina Maples but the Renown’s will be ready for our next job. The Satin Walnut Burst was a hit with the guys in the band.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

They'll rock! I have *never* had a negative comment on any of my Gretsch sets.......

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new kit!!

There is just something about the Renowns that make them such an amazing kit to gig with... I wouldn't even say that they are the end-all-be-all favorite drum sound for me, but something about the entire experience (projection, feel, response, etc) that make them so great to play.... soundmen love them too
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I have a gretsch catalina club/mod-mini series(black widow)set that I did some custom work on. I posted it on the gretsch site and got a good response.I have pics on photo bucket,I just have to figure this out. . . . . you guys have a great chat forum.I cant wait to get started.

User Info Menu

I'm depressed.

I was planning on buying a Gretsch Brooklyn this year. Finally have the plan and the money to start buying it piece by piece. Which is still possible, but it appears as if Gretsch has discontinued the finish I wanted.

Now don't get me wrong, finish isn't "everything", but I had my heart set on a Royal Blue Oyster Gretsch set and wanted a stunning finish with great sounding drums.

This was supposed to by my last drum-set ever.

Sure, I could buy a Euro shell pack or a Rock shell pack, but that's not what I wanted.

I wanted to buy each drum individually, almost making it a custom set with the sizes I wanted, but all in Royal Blue Oyster.

So I go online to do some shopping on a site I was going to buy each individual drum through, and they no longer offer it in Royal Blue Oyster. I go to Gretsch's website, and it's no longer listed as a finish.

I've never had a drumset that was "absolutely stunning", in the finish department. But this was it. I was going to buy the kick first, the rack second, and finish it off with two floor toms. All in beautiful Royal Blue Oyster.

So it's either I have to settle for another finish, which isn't a bad thing, or buy the same set but with a configuration that comes close to what I want.

And it appears the only finish they stopped selling was the one I want.

Go figure.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Go vintage! There's some really nice stuff out there at real bargain prices right now.....

User Info Menu

Love seeing that drum set and finish bdonley. Just something about it, wonderful looking.

I want to stay with Gretsch, but none of their other finishes move me. I'll have to do more researching and shopping I suppose.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post

this was supposed to by my last drum-set ever.

ha - ha !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Lol, yeah it sounded ridiculous when I typed it too, you know it's never true!
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Chrome Hardware

Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Gretsch Renown Shells?

The new Gretsch Renown RN1 kits are advertised with Gretsch formula shells with “Renown formula that combines North American Rock Maple with a slightly softer maple species.” Preceding models are featured with “USA Rock Maple shells”. No mention of softer maple plies.
    So … did Gretsch change the makeup of their Renown shells for their new 2014 line?

User Info Menu

Well for sure, either the shell or the description changed.

User Info Menu

Yep. That's what it sounds like. It'd be fun to A/B the two versions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    Gretsch Renown Shells?

The new Gretsch Renown RN1 kits are advertised with Gretsch formula shells with “Renown formula that combines North American Rock Maple with a slightly softer maple species.” Preceding models are featured with “USA Rock Maple shells”. No mention of softer maple plies.
    So … did Gretsch change the makeup of their Renown shells for their new 2014 line?
    I just called two large east coast music stores (west coast stores still closed at this time) to ask about any changes to the Renown shell formula as you pointed out rritter. I was shocked to hear both stores (Dales Drum Shop in PA and Greenbrier Music in VA) are no longer distributors of Gretsch drums. Reason: Quality Control issues We can only assume that there were some formula changes made on the Renown shells since my calls to the west coast KMC rep (Gretsch) never get returned.

User Info Menu

Makes me think I’m lucky my new Renowns are last year’s model. I can tell you there are no quality control issues at all with my kit. Every edge is cut perfectly and the finish is beautiful.
    If this is the case with Gretsch they need to stop making so many models and get back the quality of their feature kits. How many Catalina’s are available now? Just saying!

User Info Menu

My Renown's were as well made as anything I've ever owned. A sound guy I've worked with a bunch preferred them to to any of my other sets. Liked them enough he asked to sample them for his studio. I had an earlier version, the one with the hanging floor tom.

User Info Menu

Makes me think I’m lucky my new Renowns are last year’s model. I can tell you there are no quality control issues at all with my kit. Every edge is cut perfectly and the finish is beautiful.
    If this is the case with Gretsch they need to stop making so many models and get back the quality of their feature kits. How many Catalina’s are available now? Just saying!
    I agree wholeheartedly rritter. My Renown kit had absolutely zeros issues. My USA customs on the otherhand, two out of the four shells had to be returned for fixes.

User Info Menu

My current Renowns were purchased from Greenbrier. That's where I had all my troubles getting the bass drum replaced.

Yes, I had quality control problems but they took care of it for me.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yes, I had quality control problems but they took care of it for me.
    Looks like Rob's store took care of his QC issues on his Renowns too. He posted this today:

User Info Menu

I find these posts about QC issues disturbing on these expensive instruments..........there really is no excuse for these blemishes.

I understand the Renowns are not assembled in SC but when I received my Ludwig Epics (made in China) they were completely flawless.........pristine.

Then reading about late8's USA kit with a couple of problems actually makes my heart sink.............you spend that kind of money and get something that shows a bit of carelessness...........unthinkable !

I'm happy to know that, after some time, Gretsch is doing the right thing on the "fix" of the problem but the problem should never exist in the first place.
    The assembly facility in SC is only 8 people working for one manager...........who didn't see a problem with late8's shell ?

I got my USA shells in 1977 when, supposedly, Gretsch was struggling in Arkansas under the direction of Baldwin Piano, but I got perfect product........one bass and four toms...........they could not have been more gorgeous...........I assumed all the USA shells were that way.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Picked up this Gretsch Gold Series Snare Drum - 6.5" x 14" Brushed Brass to go along with my new Satin Walnut Burst Renown’s. I got the drum for a great price because it was a holdover from last year’s model. The difference is square badge for the last year’s drum to a round badge shown for the new model. A nice match with the Renown’s. I have a Pork Pie BOB snare that sounds good but the Gretsch has a fullness the Pork Pie doesn’t. At half price a great buy.

User Info Menu

Great looking drum! Been wanting one of the "patina'ed" PP's, but they're 13". May have to look into one of these. Fuller sounding? That'd be pretty good. Those BoB's are already really nice drums.....

User Info Menu

Yes the BOB’s are great drums in their price range. I highly recommend them. As for the Gretsch, the shop I bought this drum from I believe had it price wrong. Getting the Gretsch for half price was a surprise for sure. On the way home from the shop I stopped for lunch and I checked their web site and they had it listed as a discontinued model but at over $150 more than I paid for it at their discounted sale price. A steal for sure. Shop around and you might find it for the price of the BOB PP snare and buy it. You will not be disappointed. One additional difference in the old and new model beside the badge is the heads. Evan’s G1 on the old and Remo Ambassador are on the new model. Buy It!

User Info Menu

Picked up this Gretsch Gold Series Snare Drum - 6.5" x 14" Brushed Brass to go along with my new Satin Walnut Burst Renown’s. I got the drum for a great price because it was a holdover from last year’s model. The difference is square badge for the last year’s drum to a round badge shown for the new model. A nice match with the Renown’s. I have a Pork Pie BOB snare that sounds good but the Gretsch has a fullness the Pork Pie doesn’t. At half price a great buy.
    Man... that's a beautiful snare you got there! Congrats on the score!

Now, in order to really evaluate its beauty, we need to see pics of the snare surrounded by its new Renown family members
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

We do an outside job Friday. I’ll see what I can do about pictures.

User Info Menu

My gretsch black widow/mod