Thread: How do you guys work your rudiments into your playing?

User Info Menu

Default How do you guys work your rudiments into your playing?

Well I just got done playing on my kit and I was like man why do I practice all these flams and paradiddles if I do not use them. I guess I a came up with the conclusion that I dont know how.

I am getting lessons just do not know when so in the mean time can you tell me what you guys do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you guys work your rudiments into your playing?

Quote Originally Posted by KISSFan300 View Post
    Well I just got done playing on my kit and I was like man why do I practice all these flams and paradiddles if I do not use them. I guess I a came up with the conclusion that I dont know how.

I am getting lessons just do not know when so in the mean time can you tell me what you guys do?
    triplets are great for fills. listen to holiday by green day and kashmire by led zepplin. (zepplin is useing more of sixlets then triplets.)

the single stroke roll is a rudiment and i know you have used that as a fill. then alot of beats that you are playing are actually rudiments between your different drums just look a little closer.

there is alot more but i know other people have stuff to say bout this.

x_x_x_x_
    -o--o-oo
    o-oo-o--

do dat do do dat do dat dat
    thats a paradiddle you can do it with triples and doubles
    -Steven

User Info Menu

there sticking exercises not a silver bullet

by all means try play them as much as you can ........(without a drum kit)

there design to make your stokes more fluid/controlled/dynamic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    there sticking exercises not a silver bullet

by all means try play them as much as you can ........(without a drum kit)

there design to make your stokes more fluid/controlled/dynamic
    haha i completely missed that i thought he wanted to know if he would use them on the kit too.

. they are mainly for you stick control. i have a friend who doesnt know anything more then the paradiddle and the triplet, and never practices rudimuents and he is the most stiff drummer i have met. basically they are warmups to loosen you up, they are as important to drumming as stretching is to working out.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

well everything you do in fills is rudiment in some form
    think about it, if someone never practiced rudiments he might not even have the freedom to try new interesting fills because he's just not able to do them (as all he knows is single stroke pretty much)
    opposed to someone who knows the rudiments well, who can do alot of different fills without even being aware he's using his experience with the rudiments

im a beginner but i have loads of free time and whenever im near my computer/tv i have a pad there too so i think get like 3 hours a day on rudiments and i feel it helps me a lot just for the overall playing
    Last edited by Hedon-; 01-10-2009 at 09:59 PM.

User Info Menu

triplets are great for fills. listen to holiday by green day and kashmire by led zepplin. (zepplin is useing more of sixlets then triplets.)

Sextuplets are double triplets...
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I personally like using paradiddles as a cool beat to drop into from another groove plus all the displacements of it and so on.

User Info Menu

Check out Ginger Baker's DVD.

User Info Menu

There are many reasons to practice rudiments.

Firstly, practicing with a metronome will strengthen your timekeeping, and develop speed, power, touch and control of dynamics.

Second, If you practice rudiments enough, you will find that they start appearing in your playing automatically. For instance, if you are playing at a mid tempo, and want to play, as part of a groove or fill, a roll for the duration of an 8th note, you will automatically play a 5 stroke roll. If you are playing slower, you will automatically play a 7 stroke roll. And, because you have practiced them a lot, you will be able to play them accurately and perfectly in time and at a dynamic level which will strengthen the feel and the groove.

In your question you mentioned the Flam, Here is a simple example. First of all try playing triplets round your Toms with an accent on the first of each set of three beats.:-

Ba da da Ba da da Ba da da Ba da da. Sounds OK.

BUT, Now try it with a Flam on the first beat instead of just an accent:-

BLA da da BLA da da BLA da da BLA da da

Sounds much stronger.

Cheers

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-11-2009 at 12:34 PM.

User Info Menu

How do I incorporate them? Um... accidentally.
    I "sing" the drum fills out in my head. After a few times of mimicking what I hear in my head I can usually play the fills. I think only twice have I ever thought of something so hard that I had to actually break it down in to rudiments or phrases.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

You shouldn't have to be told. It should be instinctive.

User Info Menu

Here's a nice little video that incorporates the double stroke roll in a jazz style. Which, I might add, seems like a brilliant way to develop some nice independence.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...tigan_1MQ.html

User Info Menu

Ok rudiments serve three purposes IMO - one is the already mentioned warm-up/loosen up thing. THe other again as alreayd mentioned is the ability to learn stick control, build chops etc....

The third and often missed is the building blocks aspect. In truth, while there exists something like 40 odd rudiment exercises they tend to be one of only a handful, in different combinations, even the paradiddle is just a combination of a single and double stroke roll.

Anyways, everything you play is just using different forms and applicatons of these rudiments - so if your playing, then your applying the rudiments. Ivf you want to know about using a specific rudiment exercise, say a parradiddle - well it can and has been done. Vinnie Paul uses a aparaddidle to create the rhythm for one of the tracks on Vulgar Display of Power (I can't remeber the name of the song at the moment). Flams get used heaps and can be applied to anywhere you you tend to be doing a kick/snare 1/2 type thing i really can't think of how to describe what i mean other than that right now.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of examples of actually using rudiments in your playing.

First, a nine stroke roll as a fill, beginning with and containing a flam:

T|----oooo--------|
    S|Fooo----o---F---|
    B|----------o---o-|

Another, with a two 5 stroke rolls, hitting the high hat between:

H|------x-------x-|
    T|--oo------oo----|
    S|oo--o---oo--o---|

And you can also play beats using them, like a paradiddle groove:

T|----------oo----|
    T|------------oo--|
    F|--------------oo|
    H|x-xx-x----------|
    S|-o--o-oooo------|
    B|o---------------|

Just a couple of things off the top of my head. Anyway, practice your rudiments. They will definitely make you a better drummer, and help you break down what's going on in songs.

Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I have found that "linear" playing helps you to incorporate rudiments into drum fills.

Basically swap out a sticking in place of your bass drum.

For example, instead of RLRR LRLL you can play RFRR LRFF (F for foot). Throwing a bass drum in there helps you navigate the kit and hit a tom you might otherwise not get to in time with standard sticking. Also, it often sounds better than playing a fill just with your hands.

John Bonham bass drum/tom or snare triplets and Neil Peart bass drum/tom sextuplets come to mind as well. Try that out.

But yeah, you are most likely incorporating rudiments in your playing. Maybe just not as formally as you think needs to happen.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hedon- View Post
    well everything you do in fills is rudiment in some form
    think about it, if someone never practiced rudiments he might not even have the freedom to try new interesting fills because he's just not able to do them (as all he knows is single stroke pretty much)
    opposed to someone who knows the rudiments well, who can do alot of different fills without even being aware he's using his experience with the rudiments

im a beginner but i have loads of free time and whenever im near my computer/tv i have a pad there too so i think get like 3 hours a day on rudiments and i feel it helps me a lot just for the overall playing
    Ditto Nuff Said

User Info Menu

You most definitely will use flams so practice those and you'll use paradiddles too, you just don't hear it in songs because they aren't played on just the snare, they can be played between the snare and bass, snare and floor tom, floor tom and bass, etc. For example, listen to Stone Temple Pilots "Vaseline" he's doing paradiddles between his snare and bass

User Info Menu

Great point DC. That is an excellent example of a rudiment as drum beat. One of my favorite rock beats to jam out to. Played that in a cover band many years ago...

And that's Eric Kretz on drums - a GMS player!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

great examples of your rudiments are the intro to stay away by nirvana, thats a paradiddle played really quick, for flams listen to in bloom, the chorus has flams where he's hitting the snare or toms.
    Last edited by mulla14; 01-22-2009 at 04:50 AM.
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

What are rudiments?