Thread: Slightly Swung 8th Notes.

User Info Menu

Default Slightly Swung 8th Notes.

Hi.

I seem to remember seeing loads of times a link to a tutorial for the sort of half straight/half swung 8th note groove that was on lots of stuff in the 60's in particular. But now I want to have a look at it, I can't find it. Anyone able to point me towards it?

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slightly Swung 8th Notes.

I can't but lemme know if you do, because I'd love to check it out to
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I can't but lemme know if you do, because I'd love to check it out to
    Certainly will. I'm sure I'll trip over it again soon.

BTW, re your other posts, I like the way you think. we seem to be on a similar wavelength. In more ways than one:-

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

was it in video format? or just notation.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

That "Swing 8th note feeling" comes from the Shuffle pattern so popular in the 60's. Think in Triplets and play the 1st and 3rd note of each triplet. It was often written as a dotted 8th and 16th note but never played that strictly. The correct way of writing it out is in 12/8 time as 1/4 note followed by 8th note. Thus, it would sound as Long...short, Long...short, Long...short, Long..short. For ease of reading, it was more practical to write the pattern in 4/4 time as the dotted 8th and 16th pattern BUT was taught to be played as the 12/8 pattern to get the proper "Swing." Isn't music history fun?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    That "Swing 8th note feeling" comes from the Shuffle pattern so popular in the 60's. Think in Triplets and play the 1st and 3rd note of each triplet. It was often written as a dotted 8th and 16th note but never played that strictly. The correct way of writing it out is in 12/8 time as 1/4 note followed by 8th note. Thus, it would sound as Long...short, Long...short, Long...short, Long..short. For ease of reading, it was more practical to write the pattern in 4/4 time as the dotted 8th and 16th pattern BUT was taught to be played as the 12/8 pattern to get the proper "Swing." Isn't music history fun?
    Hiya.

Thanks for the reply, but that isn't what I meant. I understand the triplet based shufflle, but there was a lot of music that was somewhere between the absolute straight 8th notes, an the triplet based groove. It was that that I was looking for.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Hiya.

Thanks for the reply, but that isn't what I meant. I understand the triplet based shufflle, but there was a lot of music that was somewhere between the absolute straight 8th notes, an the triplet based groove. It was that that I was looking for.

Cheers

Andy
    like a soul or motown kinda groove, bernard purdie like?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    like a soul or motown kinda groove, bernard purdie like?
    I guess more like some of the Little Richard stuff. It almost sounds like some of the band are playing straight, and some are playing swung. I can play this stuff OK, but just want to get better, more comfortable with it.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I guess more like some of the Little Richard stuff. It almost sounds like some of the band are playing straight, and some are playing swung. I can play this stuff OK, but just want to get better, more comfortable with it.

Cheers

Andy
    ok, I know what you mean now, so was it in notation or in video format the tutorial?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I think I've heard what you're talking about... are you referring to the style of drumming you might hear on 'Fool In The Rain'? Where it's not shuffle, but it's not straight eighths either?
    It's called in the cracks drumming and is very prevalent in a lot of New Orleans style drumming. I have a couple of copies of rhythm kicking about with some lessons on it. I'll find them for you later.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    ok, I know what you mean now, so was it in notation or in video format the tutorial?
    Sorry, don't know. Doh!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I think I've heard what you're talking about... are you referring to the style of drumming you might hear on 'Fool In The Rain'? Where it's not shuffle, but it's not straight eighths either?
    It's called in the cracks drumming and is very prevalent in a lot of New Orleans style drumming. I have a couple of copies of rhythm kicking about with some lessons on it. I'll find them for you later.
    Brilliant thanks.

Andy

User Info Menu

I was about to say New Orleans. Check out "second line" drumming.

all the best...