Thread: Need Reviews On Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Need Reviews On Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals

Zildjian

Avedis zildjian dyno beat custom 13" (A Custom Top with a Z Custom Bottom)
    Avedis Zildjian Custom 17"
    18" A Custom Projection Crash
    14" New Beat Hats
    Zildjian A-Custom 18" Fast Crash

Paiste

All Signature Series
    17" Full Crash
    16" Full Crash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi Hats

Was looking through craigslist and found these cymbals used/new.
    Last edited by Mr. Tama; 01-16-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Reviews On Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    Zildjian

Avedis zildjian dyno beat custom 13" (A Custom Top with a Z Custom Bottom)
    Avedis Zildjian Custom 17"
    18" A Custom Projection Crash
    14" New Beat Hats
    Zildjian A-Custom 18" Fast Crash

Paiste

17" Full Crash
    16" Full Crash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi Hats

Was looking through craigslist and found these cymbals used/new.
    the new beats are think hats, giving you a define "chick" and have a great sounding wash, but do not sound good if you have to big of a gap between your hats. we use them in jazz band, so obviously they are well built because we have some rough people. (but they were stolen a few weeks ago, so....)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

MT, which lines of Paiste?

Some of their lines would be Signature, Traditional, 2002, Alpha, etc. No way to review them just by size without knowing the specific line.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    MT, which lines of Paiste?

Some of their lines would be Signature, Traditional, 2002, Alpha, etc. No way to review them just by size without knowing the specific line.
    Updated. They are the Signature series. Thanks for the catch.
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

This probably won't be of much help, but I do have a few of the Zildjian cymbals that you mentioned and can only say that I never hit an A Custom cymbal that I didn't like.

I have the 14" Zildjian A New Beats. I've had these for many years and they work for just about any musical genre I throw at them.

I bought my A Custom 18" fast crash several month ago and have to say it's one of the best most versatile large crash cymbals I play, more so than my 19" A Custom.

I also have the 17" A Custom. It has a nice quick brilliant response which will also fit into most categories of music.

This is sort of a shot of the New Beats..

These are the A Customs I mentioned.. The 17" is on the far right. The 18" is at 11 o'clock position.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with the signatures. you can check paiste's website for sound clips
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I own an 16" A Custom crash and the New Beats. A Customs crashes get alot of praise. They are great sounding crashes and have a nice shimmering quality to them. The New Beats are one of my all time favorites from Zildjian. They work well in most genres of music and excel best for having a nice solid chick sound. Probably the most recorded hi hats in history.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

I play 16", 17" and 18" Signature crashes and I love them! In fact, the 16" is my "go-to" crash most of the time. Explosive, bright, with a medium decay. The 17" and 18" being louder with a longer decay, but also very bright and shimmering. Excellent tone. Two are Power Crashes, and one is a Full Crash, but I would have to go look at them to see which is which.

All bought used on eBay, and fantastic cymbals. I play 14" Paiste Traditional Medium Light hats, and they're also bright, but with a less pronounced chick than you would get from the dark crisp hats. I prefer these because they have a very nice clean wash when played partly open.

Keep in mind that I'm an old Classic Rock guy, so what sounds good to me (that 60's-70's sound) may not appeal to everyone else.

If you're playing metal, you might want to go with Rudes in the Paiste line. Best bet when deciding on cymbals though is to try as many as you can in the store and compare them. See what sound is most appealing to your own ears.

And as Andreew pointed out, they do sound very close to the sound bytes on the Paiste website.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I play a lot of classic rock, but I also love playing alternative rock and modern rock/grunge (I am a HUGE Queens of the Stone Age fan. Dave Grohl/Joey Castillo are amazing!) so versatility is good. I am buying the 18" Projection Crash for $100! NEW! ;-)

User Info Menu

Most of my cymbals are Zildjian A's, but older before they were called A's, and I don't think you can go wrong there!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I play Paiste sig full crashes and have 16, 17, 18 Reflectors - although I stick with the higher diameters (I also use a 19 Dark Energy crash). I love 'em and purchased them for their versatility. IMO they are as good as it gets for cross-genre playing. I know jazz, rock, and metal guys that play Paiste sigs - and they blend with all of 'em! I also have the 14 dark crisp hats and play those out live. I get compliments on the cymbal sound (from non-drummers even - go figure) and can't say enough about the Signature line's ability to push your cymbal sound creativity.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Mr. Tama, I have a mix of cymbals on my kit, but the only way to really do that is to hear each cymbal and take your cymbals with you to hear the sounds together. I am a fan of the sound of the A Custom crashes, and I have the 18" A Custom Fast Crash on my kit. It is my favorite crash because it produces a great wash of sound without lingering forever.

I agree with some of the others that have suggested that you find a way to listen to the cymbals, because when I was upgrading my cymbals there were a few cymbals that I thought I wanted, until I hear the sound with my cymbals. I realized that it was more than just liking a specific sound, all the cymbals had to live together well on the kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'd have to agree that it would be a good idea to try to listen to the cymbals before you buy them. I'm a little hesitant to buy off the internet because of that. Though I did listen to some of Paistes cymbals online, you can't be sure they'll all sound like that.