Thread: A good kit for playing metal?

User Info Menu

Default A good kit for playing metal?

I started learning on a mate's kit, a 5 piece yamaha, that I no longer have regular access to. I want to buy my own now, and the main things I found lacking in my mate's kit were that it only had 3 toms and that the pitch of the toms was too low, and that the hi-hat stand didn't have a good feel to use.
    I already have a double kick pedal, and I know that I want a 3-sided drum rack for mounting cymbals and toms. I figured I would start out with a set that has 4 toms and if possible without cymbals, preferably second hand although I may have to buy new (for lack of choice of 2nd hand kits in my area). I will be playing rock and metal (mostly black metal and death metal), and I don't know too much about drums, so i have a few questions..
    In general, are there any particular series of drum kit that people can recommend for those genres, bearing in mind that I want no less than 4 toms and a set with some quality - something I would keep for a number of years, at least. About toms: what is the difference in sound between open and closed-bottom (is there a technical term for that?), and how does coating on the skins affect the sound and feel? And since I'm getting a drum rack, should I get a standard hi-hat stand, or a cable-operated one like this:

I guess it's also important to ask about thrones, as I want something that will be comfortable to sit on for hours at a time.
    Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: A good kit for playing metal?

Ok, like I said in the other thread... a 6-piece is great. It sounds to me like you want a birch kit rather than maple. You'd probably go for 10/12" rack toms and 14/16 floor toms. A lot of black/death guys are getting into 20" bass drums for a faster response and a better punch. Yes, you want drums with resonant (bottom) heads.

Hi-hat stands... The cable/remote hi-hats tend to have a little lag compared to normal stands and most guys use them as a secondary hat played by the right foot (if you're right handed). I have seen people use them as their main hat, but it's usually cheaper to get a normal stand and attach it to the bass drum with a clamp designed to do that, OR to clamp it to the rack.

Throne... if you're playing for a long time, I recommend a back rest. Other than that, go sit on a bunch and figure out which one you like.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Hi, sorry about the double thread.. and thanks for your reply, I've got some idea of what to look for now. I think i'll go into some shops next week for a look around.
    The only problem with the throne is that I can only sit on them briefly in the store, and it's hard to tell how good they are under continuous playing, so I kind of have to rely on opinions of people that own them. But I if a backrest helps then I might focus on those. Also, I'm wondering how easy it is to add on/change around a drum kit. Can you still get matching toms and snares etc. after a few years?

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Get a throne with a deep seat. Trust me on this. I was playing on one thinner than what I'm usually used to to the other day, and, after a couple of hours, could really feel the strain it placed on my back
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I have to ask, Why do you need a good kit just to play metal?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramie View Post
    A standard drum kit is pretty universal. You can make it sound any way you choose with tuning and correct choice of heads.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    A standard drum kit is pretty universal. You can make it sound any way you choose with tuning and correct choice of heads.
    Dustin is correct. THere is no true kit that is specifically just for metal. I have just a standard Tama Rockstar kit, and it works just fine for me.

User Info Menu

I'd have to agree. The tom sizes might be something to consider in the kit you get.

If it really matters, I've been told that Birch has a bigger/louder sound than Maple, but I play Birch so I don't really know the difference.

I'll give you the same advice everyone here will. Go play some kits at a store. Find the one that has the sound you like for your type of music. I'm sure metal drummers play all sorts of different sets and woods, with all different heads and tuning.

As far as heads, if you have a good local store, I would talk to them once you get a kit.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    The only problem with the throne is that I can only sit on them briefly in the store, and it's hard to tell how good they are under continuous playing, so I kind of have to rely on opinions of people that own them. But I if a backrest helps then I might focus on those.
    I've got a Gibraltar motorcycle style seat with a backrest. It's exactly like the Roc 'n Soc thrones but without the name or higher price. I'm debating on buying the round style, but I don't play for long periods of time right now and I have a smaller one so there's no need at the moment. My throne isn't exactly soft, but I've played it for hours on end with no problems.

Also, I'm wondering how easy it is to add on/change around a drum kit. Can you still get matching toms and snares etc. after a few years?
    Depends. If the line is still being made, yes. If it was recently discontinued, maybe. If it was a popular line and there's tons on eBay, probably.
    That is something to take into consideration when you're buying a kit.

But a standard kit is a 5-piece and he wants a 6-piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Because he's metal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    If it really matters, I've been told that Birch has a bigger/louder sound than Maple, but I play Birch so I don't really know the difference.

...I'm sure metal drummers play all sorts of different sets and woods, with all different heads and tuning.
    Exactly. Birch has the extra volume to cut through a little more. A lot of guys go for birch if they can afford it because you're usually not gonna get mics for your toms at most venues. Snare and bass only if you're lucky. Most of the time, metal guys just get what they can afford.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

iv been playing metal for 10 years now one thing i noticed playing over the years

the best investment is a good dbl kick

just don't be fooled by all the bling out there performance ftw

Larrysperf Guest

Rat behave yourself lol

Larrysperf Guest

I started learning on a mate's kit, a 5 piece yamaha, that I no longer have regular access to. I want to buy my own now, and the main things I found lacking in my mate's kit were that it only had 3 toms and that the pitch of the toms was too low, and that the hi-hat stand didn't have a good feel to use.
    I already have a double kick pedal, and I know that I want a 3-sided drum rack for mounting cymbals and toms. I figured I would start out with a set that has 4 toms and if possible without cymbals, preferably second hand although I may have to buy new (for lack of choice of 2nd hand kits in my area). I will be playing rock and metal (mostly black metal and death metal), and I don't know too much about drums, so i have a few questions..
    In general, are there any particular series of drum kit that people can recommend for those genres, bearing in mind that I want no less than 4 toms and a set with some quality - something I would keep for a number of years, at least. About toms: what is the difference in sound between open and closed-bottom (is there a technical term for that?), and how does coating on the skins affect the sound and feel? And since I'm getting a drum rack, should I get a standard hi-hat stand, or a cable-operated one like this:

I guess it's also important to ask about thrones, as I want something that will be comfortable to sit on for hours at a time.
    Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    All intermiadiate and high end kits are good,if tuned to the way you like them. Nuff said

User Info Menu

Awesome! Well now I have a bit of confidence, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to choose..

Well since you ask.. black and death metal in particular need clarity in the drums (if you want to sound good), with sharp, snappy attack and a tight, balanced resonance, because you often play very fast and don't want to sound muddy and washed out.

I do have a good set of pedals already, actually - the p2002c eliminators. Smoothness and consistency is the most important thing for me, and i've been happy with them so far

User Info Menu

Awesome! Well now I have a bit of confidence, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to choose..

Well since you ask.. black and death metal in particular need clarity in the drums (if you want to sound good), with sharp, snappy attack and a tight, balanced resonance, because you often play very fast and don't want to sound muddy and washed out.

I do have a good set of pedals already, actually - the p2002c eliminators. Smoothness and consistency is the most important thing for me, and i've been happy with them so far
    In that case you should go for a brich set, Ive heard good things about the mapexor how about a set of yammy recording customs. obviously both kits would have to be in black.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

can i make some notes in here too? i don't play on a metal kit or anything - brand wise you'll find any brand (mapex, pearl, tama, dw, pdp, yamaha etc...) will make a kit that is suitable. they all have birch kits etc.... The thing you're gonna want to focus on in tom sizes and skins. They're what will give you the sound you after, not a specific brand or "type" of kit. I agree with the 10"/12" 14"/16" tom suggestions.
    As far as coated heads - they increase the endurance of the heads, and tend to give a more focused sound. You'll want heads that are more about attack than resonance, so things like g2's or pinstripes etc.... ones that are about attack, fat, punchy sounds so you don't need a deep/low tune to get the heavier sound. That's my 2 cents.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    But a standard kit is a 5-piece and he wants a 6-piece.

what I meant was a drum kit from any decent brand can be used for any type of music QS mate.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

Subrick Guest

There are 2 6-piece options here: 2 toms, two floor toms, snare, one bass drum with double pedal, or 2 toms, 1 floor tom, snare, 2 bass drums.

Pick and choose. I'd personally go with the 2 bass drums because there's more power when you hit a first drum then a second drum.

User Info Menu

Have to disagree with quikstang2, I,m afraid. You can get some excellent sounds with open ended toms, you don,t always need to have reso heads. I happen to believe, metal is suited to open ended toms. Just my thought, but it,s worth experimenting
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your responses. The only real problem I have is that the stores here aren't very big, and they don't have many kits out for you to play. Mostly they have electronic kits, I guess because of noise and because the wear on those isn't so obvious. But i'll look around, and try out as many as I can. I'll definitely get a set with 4 toms 1 kick drum (not 3 toms 2 kick), as I already have a double pedal, and it's more portable.
    Is it OK to post links to ebay auctions here?

User Info Menu

Well, i'm not sure - there is a rule about no commercial posts, so you'd probably find the links don't show up. If your after a recommendation, better bet to either just copy and past the key details, or post the item number, and those seeking to assist you can look it up themselves.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your responses. The only real problem I have is that the stores here aren't very big, and they don't have many kits out for you to play. Mostly they have electronic kits, I guess because of noise and because the wear on those isn't so obvious. But i'll look around, and try out as many as I can. I'll definitely get a set with 4 toms 1 kick drum (not 3 toms 2 kick), as I already have a double pedal, and it's more portable.
    Is it OK to post links to ebay auctions here?

commercial links are not allowed for a number of reasons mate. Suggest if there is something you need advice on, describe it here in detail and we can look it up from there.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

what I meant was a drum kit from any decent brand can be used for any type of music QS mate.
    Ah, gotcha. I misread that.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist View Post
    Have to disagree with quikstang2, I,m afraid. You can get some excellent sounds with open ended toms, you don,t always need to have reso heads. I happen to believe, metal is suited to open ended toms. Just my thought, but it,s worth experimenting
    Ultimately you're right, it's up to the sound he wants. I personally don't know any metal guys (leaving hair "metal" out) that like the sound... in fact, they all hate open ended toms. Not to mention finding a kit without bottom lugs would be harder, and there will be some work involved with making a kit with bottom lugs not rattle when played. Besides, he's playing black/death metal. He's gonna need that bottom head selection to get good tone and to cut down on resonance a bit when paired with the right batter head.
    Those are the main reasons I suggested it. If he was playing something else I'd have said "it's up to you, most guys use bottom heads".
    I'm not saying you're wrong or that he shouldn't try it. I'm just saying what everyone does, and why.

obviously both kits would have to be in black.

User Info Menu

I have seen kits without bottom lugs on the toms, but never played one. If I can find one to try out i'll give it a whirl, i'm curious about it now...

obviously both kits would have to be in black.
    A matte black kit with black anodised aluminium all round, and those new black zyldjian cymbals
    Actually, I may seriously consider that...

User Info Menu

If you want to hear what bottemless reso heads sound like for toms listen to percussion drum lines and there solo's. You could also look up what kind of drums/cymbals bands use or prefer. Like Sean Kinney prefers Sabians over other brands and even insists on them.