Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1111

Thread: PDP Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Drums Discussion

I know you would be... cause I'd get it at cost hehehehe Can't beat that deal
    I wonder what the price tag actually is... hmmmm

User Info Menu

New to the forum - trying to now put together a fusion CX and a MX set. Single bass for now. I originally wanted to have drums descending on both sides of the kit - but don't have access to a remote hi-hat for right now (to get the hi-hat out of the way) so I am trying some other configurations.
    When I get it close to where I think it is playable, I will strip all the shells and either paint them flat black with some blood red GT strips between the lugs - or keep it flat black - or cover it with red snake skin tolex... Just for giggles.
    Making your way in the world today takes everything you're not...

User Info Menu

That sounds like a very interesting color scheme you're going for....

What sizes do you have now? Any pictures?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That sounds like a very interesting color scheme you're going for....

What sizes do you have now? Any pictures?
    The CX was the standard fusion - 10,12,14 toms 22" kick and 14x5.5 snare. The MX is the same, just with the 8" and 16" toms. The CX came with that as an expansion pack but I didn't bother to purchase when I got the shell pack as new.
    I like to play things in tight - and I am not able to get things where I want them. So, for now, I am basically just going to set up the MX set as a 3 up, 2 down configuration. I have the CX 14" floor tom on my left side. I am considering converting the 10" tom to a side snare - though I already have a 13" piccolo. I had always intended on using that.
    I will keep it a single kick config. I will most likely steal the hardware from the 'extra' kick and make two pancake 'gong' style kick drums (kind of like what DW is making now). One 18" and one 20". I hope to either build or buy a center offset pedal to run the single kick in the middle and then have dedicated singles for the other two pancake kicks on either side. I'll use the tom brackets from the 16" and one extra that I have left over and some u-brackets I will make up to connect the three kicks together.
    No pics right now as it is a franken set. But I am really considering filling scuffs in the MX set, lightly sanding and going over it with a black, semi-transparent stain and then clear. The pancake kicks could be covered with the snakeskin tolex for giggles ;-)
    As for cymbals, I have an assortment - mainly Zildjian, but I have started importing my own that I hope to brand. I just have to work with the manufacturer on some details ;-)

User Info Menu

I started going with this configuration - but things were getting too spread out. I like things a lot closer. So I am re-arranging. I won't refinish the drums until I have the layout pretty much nailed down.

User Info Menu

So I think this is the configuration that I will go with. We will see
    Now to refinish. I will take the wrap off the cx and stain it emerald green. Then I may scuff up the whole set and put a light coat of black over the top of that.

User Info Menu

hard to get to post with the delays in approval ;-( - I don't want to post pics b/c it is such a Franken-kit right now
    but I hope to start refinishing today (a little). I have my main configuration figured out (I think... Till I find something else I want to add) ;-)

User Info Menu

Trying a new photo sharing site. Let's see if I did this right. Current set up, adding a 24" kick and a second 16" fl tom soon. Got into some financial trouble a while back and had to sell half the kit, Kick , snare , 8, 10, 12, 14, 16.
    29791770_10215925323109689_891029633145765888_n by Joe Dee, on Flickr
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 04-11-2018 at 06:05 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm really sorry to hear of your financial troubles because I loved your monster kit. (obviously)

I really need to figure out a new photo site myself so I can upload some of the big changes to my PDP kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear of your financial troubles because I loved your monster kit. (obviously)

I really need to figure out a new photo site myself so I can upload some of the big changes to my PDP kit.
    I’m using Flickr

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Trying a new photo sharing site. Let's see if I did this right. Current set up, adding a 24" kick and a second 16" fl tom soon. Got into some financial trouble a while back and had to sell half the kit, Kick , snare , 8, 10, 12, 14, 16.
    29791770_10215925323109689_891029633145765888_n by Joe Dee, on Flickr
    Perfect!

Like that layout, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Perfect!

Like that layout, too!

It's just like mine without the second kick.
    I love the placement of the little 8" after moving it there myself.
    It's very comfortable which I didn't think it would be at first.

Love the setup forsure.

User Info Menu

So I came across a deal today for a brand new pdp maple concept kit 7 piece. It's white,don't know the technical color name but I'm going to pick them up hopefully tomorrow.
    I have my Tama Maple kit which isn't going anywhere,but the pdp kit will be a slow build since my Tama kit is pretty much done. I have a friend who has the maple concept kit and I've played it and was blown away by the sound. Can't believe I'm saying that about pdp after seeing him struggle so much with his X7 birch kit. The mounts broke on just about everything. Drums sounded good but hardware was trash. But he hasn't had a problem with the maple kit.
    Not a fan of white but I am a fan of good deals and heck,can't have enough kits around.
    I do plan to keep this small,2 crashes 1 China hats ride and splash single pedal. Might get the 18" floor tom and 13" tom just so I can have more drums to hit but holding back on cymbals.
    I already have 1 crash and picking up a 21" AA Rock Ride tomorrow as well which will go on my Tama kit and my earth ride on the pdp kit.
    Enough on my rant,but I'm really looking forward to building this kit up with new heads hardware and cymbals and having a kit I can play that isn't full of cymbals lol.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Railroadin_saylor View Post
    Untitled by mitch saylor, on Flickr
    2 toms still with factory stock heads and 3 with pinstripes over a year old. Time for some new heads. My wifes gonna kill me in my sleep one of these days! LMAO
    How do you like the Pinstripes? I used to play with them many ions ago and switched to clear Emperors but I am just not loving them.

User Info Menu

Thanks 12.22.17, Graduation, drums 016.jpgThanks 12.22.17, Graduation, drums 014.jpgDrum Set 002.jpg

Made a few changes since my last pics. Added a Ludwig 7X13 Supralite snare, a Ludwig Acrolite (now sold), and a Zildjian 16" K Dark Med-thin crash.

For no other reason than vanity and variety, I've been looking for another identical kit just to add another bass drum to the mix. I've never owned a double bass kit, and I'd just like to know how it feels. Knowing me, I'll probably just make a few pics and then dump the extra kit, as I really have zero interest in learning to play double bass.

Dumb idea, I know.

GeeDeeEmm
    Last edited by gdmoore28; 09-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm seeing Yammy hardware on those bad boys. I like that finish, GD.

If those are birch, I found with my new Stage Customs that (to me) they sound the best with Coated G2s on top and clear G1s on the bottoms. I also found it fascinating that the factory singly ply clear heads sounded ok, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm seeing Yammy hardware on those bad boys. I like that finish, GD.

If those are birch, I found with my new Stage Customs that (to me) they sound the best with Coated G2s on top and clear G1s on the bottoms. I also found it fascinating that the factory singly ply clear heads sounded ok, too.
    Thanks, Bish.

Those are Pacific CX maples, made in Mexico. The line was originally introduced by DW as the Workshop Series, intended to be DW drums priced for the working musician.

They then became the initial Pacific drums in 2000, made with the same maple as US drums and on DW machinery. They were available with either covered or lacquer finishes and in "Rock" sizes. I've owned everything from Ludwig USA to Maple Customs and Recording Customs, and these overlooked drums favorably compare. DW wasn't making money on the Mexico drums, and all manufacturing was moved to Asia, along with a name change: PDP.

The Yamaha hardware has been with me for a long time. I bought it all when I purchased a new Recording Custom set. I initially started to outfit the RCs with 900 series hardware, but soon discovered that the 600/700 series hardware did the same job for a lot less money and weight. (Don't think that I was heavy with money, though! I worked at a music store for many years, so I bought all my gear at dealer cost. At that time Yamaha had a HUGE clearance on RCs and Beech Customs at monstrous discounts. I'm ashamed to say how little they cost me.)

I agree with your head recommendations 100%. Those or Pinstripes over Ambassadors were what I settled with on my RCs after trying every other combo on the market - at dealer cost, of course!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I am using their current 600 series with my gig set up. I agree with your description. Very well built, light weight and easy on the budget.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You know, now that you mention it, I think that a couple of my cymbal stands may be 600 series. Those two series seem to have intermingled with each other over the years. I'll need to look more closely and see exactly what I have.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    You know, now that you mention it, I think that a couple of my cymbal stands may be 600 series. Those two series seem to have intermingled with each other over the years. I'll need to look more closely and see exactly what I have.

GeeDeeEmm
    Mine are double braced with all the good mechanical function of the upper models.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

A few years back, I bought two cymbal stands in their 800 series for a good price.
    They hold up just fine.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

None of my stands are double braced except for the snare stand and throne. I have some double braced stands in my hardware cases, but just don't have any need of them.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cfiore124 View Post
    How do you like the Pinstripes? I used to play with them many ions ago and switched to clear Emperors but I am just not loving them.
    I love the pinstripes, they are my go to heads. I've tried so many others and, some work for me for certain sounds I'm looking for but, I can almost always count on getting the sound I want out of these.

User Info Menu

Greg John uz ezera-27.jpg

Recently become proud owner of PDP Concept Classic with 24" kick drum. So far i love these drums, but not the stock heads (they are really really (bad word)). And i am not a big fan of 13" tom. It is too big to put it somwhere comfortably, and it's too big to tune it high, but then it's sounds lika a floor tom, when you tune it low.. It think, i will make a snare drum out of that tom.

User Info Menu

says proud owner and yet crosses out PDP on bass drum logo lol

hahahaha just busting your chops.

I wanted one of those concept concepts when they came out. I LOVE the wood hoops with claws.
    I wish PDP heads came as nice as DW heads, I also agree with stock heads being worthless.