Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gretsch Catalina maple review

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina maple review

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Agreed! i found the same thing with mine. Only a minor technicality though compared to the great sound that is produced from these drums
    With regards to tension rods sticking or feeling gritty..As a rule of thumb when installing new heads, and especially on a new kit..it is wise to dip the end of the tension rods in a tub of petroleum jelly to provide a lubed contact.
    You dont need to immerse the entire rod. Just pick up a bb sized dab and you are GTG. This practice also helps insure that your lug tensioning is consistant all around the shell for you drumdial users. -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    With regards to tension rods sticking or feeling gritty..As a rule of thumb when installing new heads, and especially on a new kit..it is wise to dip the end of the tension rods in a tub of petroleum jelly to provide a lubed contact.
    You dont need to immerse the entire rod. Just pick up a bb sized dab and you are GTG. This practice also helps insure that your lug tensioning is consistant all around the shell for you drumdial users. -Les
    I do the same. Most of the time there is a lubricant placed on the threads of the rods, but I usually wipe them clean and use Vasoline. You would be surprised how many times I've found metal fragments in the old lubricants, even from the factory. This also protects from threading problems latter down the line.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I have recently cleaned the rods with thinners and a toothbrush then put some 3in1 on them which helped alot. Still not perfect but much better. Might try the jelly next time around or the vaseline. Thanks for the tip Les
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Great review! and congrats on the Cats! (haha) I owned a Catalina maple myself for a short time and experienced the same problematic tuning with regards to the floor toms. I tried all sorts of different head combos and tunings with no major break throughs. I found the answer to the tuning woes on these floor toms. It lies in the abnormally small rubber tips on the floor tom legs (feet). I changed the feet out to Pearl suspension feet and the floor toms came to LIFE! There was no insulation between the vibration of the head/shell and the floor making the drum(s) difficult to tune and rather lifeless. -Les
    I myself just bought a Catalina Maple kit just last week. I put brand new clear Evans Ec2 heads for tom batters and an Aquarian Superkick II head for kick batter. I shall honestly say I have my toms sounding AS good as I had with my previous kit (Mapex Saturn) I agree with the 14 & 16" floor toms. I found them very hard to tune. And I have been playing for like 20 years. I bought the Gibraltor floating tom feet and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! These are GREAT drums for anyone who is in the market for some maple drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohmthis View Post
    Lezismor,
    I will look into the feet on the floor toms; but to me I found that the heads really made the difference. Albeit that I'm not a pro drummer or tuner. I love the sound that I have achieved.

MD,
    man I thought the same thing as you when searching for a new kit. Thanks to the good knowledge of the people here and other places I jumped at the chance to own these. I would agree with PB; as the color choice is limited as is the drum sizes. But, these sound so good for the money.....It's hard to pass up. Keep in mind that they're foreign made, I still couldn't pass them up. BTW pics are up on the "Show your drums" section of the board.
    TRUST me Buy the floating rubber feet. You will notice a HUGE HUGE difference.

User Info Menu

BTW I was bashed on another forum for getting rid of my Saturns and getting a Catalina Maple kit. I have owned all kinds of kits in the pat and I just like getting a new kit every once in awhile. Like a kid on Christmas. Anyways they probably wouldn't even believe me when I say I have the Catalina's sounding just as good as the Saturns sounded. I,myself am completely satisifed. They also mentioned that Catalina Maples don't give that "Gretsch sound" that it is just the higher end Gretsch kits. Well I would surely LOVE to hear the higher up Gretsch kits then. Again my very first Gretsch kit and I absolutely LOVE em!!!

User Info Menu

Blake, thanks for the input on the Catalina Maple kit. I guarantee you won't be hearing me put down the Catalinas. I haven't had any drummer hear my Cats without telling me how great they sound. Oh, and that whole thing about the Catalina series drums not being real Gretsch kits...I personally think that would be like saying that anything below the Saturn series is not a real Mapex. Sure, the intermdiate kits are not up to the high standards of the pro kits, but the manufacturers are still overseeing the build.

I have a couple of Fender Stratocaster that were made in Mexico. Granted they contain finish touches and electronics that are not as high end as the American made Strats, but that does not mean that they are junk, or that they are not real Fenders. They are simply made by Fender to be less expensive.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Oh, and that whole thing about the Catalina series drums not being real Gretsch kits...I personally think that would be like saying that anything below the Saturn series is not a real Mapex.
    That little nugget of wisdom was posted in the Gretsch drums discussion thread.. Complete and utter rubbish, The Catalina Maples as well as Gretsch's other offshore instruments are indeed Gretsch drums..real..Gretsch..drums. I am in agreemwent with PB here. I have had a few of Gretsch's Catalina series kits in the recent past and will say that these kits are fabulously cost effective instruments that appeal to the working drummer and beginner alike!
    I recently had and was kinda forced to sell a Cat Maple kit in Tobacco fade lacquer, and will honestly say that of all the different kits I have had come and go..the Cat Maple was the most difficult to let go of. They are great sets with really versatile configurations and I would be happy to own another one. (?) -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 01-31-2009 at 10:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blake N View Post
    I have the Catalina's sounding just as good as the Saturns sounded. I,myself am completely satisifed. They also mentioned that Catalina Maples don't give that "Gretsch sound" that it is just the higher end Gretsch kits. Well I would surely LOVE to hear the higher up Gretsch kits then.
    Proper heads and tuning are really key factors here. I totally believe that you can get a pro sound out of the Cats! I have done it! The 45degree bearing edges on the Cat maples don't lend themselves to the signature sound of the higher end Gretsch drums which are cut with 30 degree rounded edges and have their shell interiors sprayed with a silver sealer coating. There is a difference in the way my Cats sounded compared to Renouns.
    Is the sound of the Catalina Maples inferior to the Renoun?? No. different, but no way inferior. I find the Cat maples to project well, be clear, articulate and punchy. The Renoun maples have a rounder, warmer tone (due to the bearing edge angles and seal coated shell interiors) that is part of the Gretsch recipe for the signature sound. -Les
    * I should mention that the Catalina club series Philipine mahogany drums also are cut with 30 degree edges.
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 02-05-2009 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

This thread inspired me. I now own another set of Catalina Maples in deep amber lacquer. love it, love it, love it! -Les

User Info Menu

*** How do I attach a picture that is on my desktop to this post? Thanks.

I just bought a new Catalina Maple kit that has been sitting in a music store for a year or two. The feet on the floor tom look the same as in the attached pic.

Is this the floor tom feet you are replacing, or are these better quality than what was first used on these drums?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Eraser; 04-16-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Attaching a pic