Thread: Buying and managing band (shared) gear

User Info Menu

Exclamation Buying and managing band (shared) gear

How do you guys/gals handle it? Band bank accounts where gig money goes to support gear repair/purchases? Who owns it the gear? What happens when someone leaves or joins? I need answers!!!!

Thank you for choosing Drum Chat and have a nice day!

bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying and managing band (shared) gear

Hi Bruarm , with my last band, all our money from our first 12 or so gigs went on new gear. We agreed that one member would hold the cash, he opened an account, and we all had the number. It was a trust thing, and we had no need to be worried, we were close. We agreed that if someone left the band,of their own free will, they lost out on there share of the gear. If they were to be asked to leave, for any reason, then they would get their share of what the gear cost. We were a close knit band though, together over 12 years, and we hardly ever had a cross word, so we had no problems.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

We're kind of in that boat, albeit not as long. I like your coming and going policy.

Here's the scenario: 2 guys paid for and own the PA and rent to the band. They went and picked up another board when our existing one was working fine. Should we expect to have to pay more for rental (because the board is worth more) when we weren't consulted about the purchase in the first place?

That's the immediate concern, but I'd still like to hear how other aspects are handled. Thanks.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

My band used to just use whatever money we made towards Rehearsal Space rent. If we didn't have to pay that I imagine we would use it for either a. Gear (more stuff like P.A.s or tape, etcc...you pay for your own instruments including Mics...) or b. Merchandise. Merchandise would hopefully produce more money though which leaves you to figure out what to with. Lol. Good luck!
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

The way we look at it, I had to buy my drums, the guitarist his own amp and guitar the singer can buy his own "practice pa" thats big enough for small shows. Why should I pay for his amp?
    If we need a big full system that "we all run through" we hire a soundman that has his own system.

For my other band one guys owns everything. It is his band he calls all the shots. Im fine with that because that was the deal when I joined. I also get paid a set (but very generous) amount for every show.

User Info Menu

I bought enough stuff to fire everyone and still have the equipment to start a new band of newbies. Although my guitarist bought our HD24, software computer and his personal favorite guitar, mics and amps I still own my own, even though I can't play them a lick. Whats greater then having some friends over and say I use to play thats when I bust out and say grab a bass, guitar, or even keys and lets jam!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The way we look at it, I had to buy my drums, the guitarist his own amp and guitar the singer can buy his own "practice pa" thats big enough for small shows. Why should I pay for his amp?
    If we need a big full system that "we all run through" we hire a soundman that has his own system.

For my other band one guys owns everything. It is his band he calls all the shots. Im fine with that because that was the deal when I joined. I also get paid a set (but very generous) amount for every show.
    Right on!!

We used the Tip Jar for recording. As a bass player, I had my own gear and supplied 2 monitors and power amp. The guitarist supplied front end, which the singer/keyboardist upgraded and owns. I think everyone should contribute something, other than their own instruments, but not buying another member's gear. Typically, the singer should have a PA and board. I have known "singers" that do not even own a mic.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of the singer having to supply his 'amp'. Unfortunately were already past that point since we have everything.

It just browns me off a little that they would go ahead and buy another board that we didn't really need.

I was also the one who suggested that it's only fair to them that we either buy in or they up the rental price. I said that because I think it was the right thing to do. I just think that in fairness to the rest of us, they should have asked what we thought first.

What if I decided a nice bus is what the band needed. Should I go buy it, and roll up next time we're packing up for a gig, with my hand extended, "Hey guys, I'll need $75,000 from each of you."

I sense a band meeting coming up...

Sorry folks, just venting my spleen...
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

Bruarm, I obviously can't speak to band issue, since I have not been in one, nor do I expect to be. What I can say, from the perspective of dealing with any enterprises where multiply people are working together for the good of the whole (does that sound like a church LOL), is that communication is key. If everyone is not pulling together, then problems will develop as people begin to pull in different directions. What I am saying is that your instincts are right on, and you do need a band meeting to get everyone back on the same page. The guys who bought the mixer need to share why they felt the need to upgrade, and everyone else needs to express their thoughts too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

well every one in the band owns what they play.... if the place have the sound for gigs, we use what there is, we like that raw sound, most of the time it's just we use our own amrs for the show, and nothing else, makes a totally different sound....

we where playing at a really cool place some time ago and the wanted us to use their sound system, but since non of us really are sound guys we had to hire one to control that, the reason we had to use theirs was tha set up of the speakers, they at sat at the best posible way for the space they have....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Does this mean that drummers are insane ?

User Info Menu

manager handles the money and promo

sound tech handles the pa and venue...

be care full don't take on to much or you will break your spleen

User Info Menu

This is a touchy one for me. If you are going to "buy in" Braum make sure you have something in writing!! also if you intend on being with the band for quite some time, monitor how much you have contributed to the system, once it is "paid for" your rental contribution should be lowered to just cover repairs or new purchases that are to be discussed prior. It really comes down to being open and honest and dont be afraid to be firm but fair.
    How long have you been with the band? how much have you already contributed?
    I could go on a rant on this one, but I'll save ya. Dont get me started on profits from cd sales and fan stuff!! ggggggrrrrrrrrrr

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Bruarm, I obviously can't speak to band issue, since I have not been in one, nor do I expect to be. What I can say, from the perspective of dealing with any enterprises where multiply people are working together for the good of the whole (does that sound like a church LOL), is that communication is key. If everyone is not pulling together, then problems will develop as people begin to pull in different directions. What I am saying is that your instincts are right on, and you do need a band meeting to get everyone back on the same page. The guys who bought the mixer need to share why they felt the need to upgrade, and everyone else needs to express their thoughts too.
    Amen to that

Yeah, definitely time to open this discussion again. Thanks for your insight PB!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    This is a touchy one for me. If you are going to "buy in" Braum make sure you have something in writing!! also if you intend on being with the band for quite some time, monitor how much you have contributed to the system, once it is "paid for" your rental contribution should be lowered to just cover repairs or new purchases that are to be discussed prior. It really comes down to being open and honest and dont be afraid to be firm but fair.
    How long have you been with the band? how much have you already contributed?
    I could go on a rant on this one, but I'll save ya. Dont get me started on profits from cd sales and fan stuff!! ggggggrrrrrrrrrr
    4/5 have been together for 4 years. We seem to cycle through bass players (what's with those guys ). It's more of a complication with everyone not owning everything. 4/5 owned the old board and lights, 2/5 own the PA and the new board, blah, blah, blah...

We'll see how the band meeting goes. I don't have a problem being open and firm. I kinda like being the jerk sometimes . It allows others to voice their opinons without being the bad guys. I'll take that hit anyday.

Thanks for your input rat!
    Last edited by bruarm; 01-29-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: forgot to thank rat, spelling
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

I believe the best way to go on any type of business like this is own the stuff outright. If the guy splits who happens to own the PA then get another PA. Same for all the stuff. Entering into these wierd arrangements with others can always lead to problems.
    Ride together if possible to save gas.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Im in a little different situation . We are all family members , and everyone has bought a little something to play out , which doesnt happen often but is slowly starting to be more frequent than before .

All the equipment is usually at my house , because Im the only one who has the extra space . There are no rental fees with us on the PA system or rehearsal space because we are only playing for fun and not trying to earn a living from playing .

I do agree with getting something in writing no matter how friendly the situation . It could save some hard feelings later on down the road .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Right on!!

We used the Tip Jar for recording. As a bass player, I had my own gear and supplied 2 monitors and power amp. The guitarist supplied front end, which the singer/keyboardist upgraded and owns. I think everyone should contribute something, other than their own instruments, but not buying another member's gear. Typically, the singer should have a PA and board. I have known "singers" that do not even own a mic.
    Nice one BLD, I have known singers, that can,t even sing
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Bruarm,, the fact that 4/5 owned the lights and old board, and 2/5 own the PA and new board, etc, just seems to indicate that some members have been willing to invest in "commonly owned" gear in the past, and some have not. I think you definitely need to establish some firm ground rules and stick with them. IMHO having gear that is commonly owned, or that multiple members have invested in might seem to be a good way to upgrade at the time, since more people are putting in the money and each one has less of an individual investment, I just see too many potential problems looming as personnel change.

In my current band, everyone owns their own gear. The lead guitarist/vocalist owns the PA. That was his choice, and he doesn't expect anyone else to contribute towards it. That makes the most sense to me.

I have seen many bands who give a share of their gig money to the person who owns the PA and board, but I never thought that was appropriate. How much do they have invested in it? I'll gladly compare the money I have invested in my gear to what anyone has invested in their PA.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

At the moment all our kit is owned individually, apart from our PA system which is owned by our sound-tech nutter of a guitarist. The bass and amp are the bass player's, one vocal mic is our singer's, the drumkit is unquestionably mine, all mine, and the guitar, pedalboard and amp, keyboard, mixing desk, bass bins and speakers and backup vocal mike all belong to our guitarist, who's got far too much money on his hands :P Sounds good though, next on my list after some new heads and cymbals is a set of decent drumkit mics for my kit.
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Bruarm,, the fact that 4/5 owned the lights and old board, and 2/5 own the PA and new board, etc, just seems to indicate that some members have been willing to invest in "commonly owned" gear in the past, and some have not.
    We all own our own instrument and related gear (guitartist/amps, singer owns his monitor and mic, I own kit/mics/bags, etc.).

Part of the problem is the coming and going of personnel. The 2/5 PA owners only offered to the other 2/5 because the fifth was new to the band. I declined due to lack of funds. The singer bought his monitor and I think that's it. We both asked later if they wanted us to chip in and we never heard back, so we didn't.

So this situation is kind of messy. I just want to prevent any more of this BS from happening. Next thing you know, they will roll up in a friggin' bus...
    Last edited by bruarm; 01-29-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

I have always been in bands where we all owned enough gear to get the job done. I did have a situation my my last band where we considered taking a few gigs and paying for some new PA cabs. We agreed that is someone left the band the rest would chip in and buy him out.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Thanks for you input everyone!! Looks like 3/5 are going to propose to buy in to all the gear, making everything owned by 5/5, which will simplify everything.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride