Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Ddrum drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ddrum drums discussion

Hi all , has anyone ever played or hear the Ddrum reflex series kits with the Alder shells? I'm curious how they sound. I'm considering snatching one of the Reflex Bombardier "Bonham" kits off fleabay.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Ddrum Ash 7x13

I love this snare. It has a unique wrap and it is one of the best sounding wood 7x13 snares that I've heard. I like it more than my previous DW Collectors X-shell 7x13 Maple. The tuning range is huge and it has such depth and meat to the tone!... and it only ran me for $70!

-Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    Ddrum Ash 7x13

I love this snare. It has a unique wrap and it is one of the best sounding wood 7x13 snares that I've heard. I like it more than my previous DW Collectors X-shell 7x13 Maple. The tuning range is huge and it has such depth and meat to the tone!... and it only ran me for $70!

Looks like something Vinnie Paul would play with that finish. I think he was a DDrum guy for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Looks like something Vinnie Paul would play with that finish. I think he was a DDrum guy for a while.
    Yeah, I think he is with Ddrum now, but used to be with Pearl. I like the "extreme" finish and it sounds great!
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think he is with Ddrum now, but used to be with Pearl. I like the "extreme" finish and it sounds great!

.........and you can't beat a great sounding snare for $70..................the hardware is worth twice that by itself

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    .........and you can't beat a great sounding snare for $70..................the hardware is worth twice that by itself
    I know I'm digressing a bit, but I'd snag a Vinnie Paul sig drum in a heartbeat if I could get it cheap. Pearl, DDrum...whatever. I'd take either.

User Info Menu

That was my thought as well!
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I know I'm digressing a bit, but I'd snag a Vinnie Paul sig drum in a heartbeat if I could get it cheap. Pearl, DDrum...whatever. I'd take either.
    I liked the sound of his Pearl one and his DDrum. I had a shot to buy the Pearl one last year for $125 but I didn't get it because I already had an 8x14 maple free floater. I'd like to have an 8x14 in the lineup now, so I'd snatch that up if I got the chance as well. I'm thinking of getting the 8x14 Mapex MPX and switching out the hoops on it.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

I liked the sound of his Pearl one and his DDrum. I had a shot to buy the Pearl one last year for $125 but I didn't get it because I already had an 8x14 maple free floater. I'd like to have an 8x14 in the lineup now, so I'd snatch that up if I got the chance as well. I'm thinking of getting the 8x14 Mapex MPX and switching out the hoops on it.
    Ya for that price I'd jump on it in a hurry! I've never seen his sig snare that cheap.

User Info Menu

Nice. Love the green sparkle with the black hardware. Awesome combination.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Just bought my first set of Ddrum Dios! They are the ASH black burst 5 piece with virgin kick (22X20).....AND let me say what a sound from that kick....I threw an old comforter in the kick before I put on the front head, didn't do any tuning of any sort. Put my pedal on gave her a kick with stock Ddrum bass kick head.....and it blew me away. IT sounded like a BASS CANNON going off in my house. My wife was standing in the door way of the room I was in and her eyes got about as big as saucers....she was like WOW, do they normally sound that loud.....I was like NO! That thing sounded freaking AMAZING!! I told my wife I bet our neighbor's were all like....Dang honey, did you hear and feel that, must be a trimmer!! Not to pleased with the sound of the snare or the floor tom, but I'll get that taken care of eventually. Planning to put Evan's hydraulics on the toms and replace both snare heads with some upgrades, and maybe even upgrade to a better wire kit.

Last edited by drumnut30; 02-21-2014 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumnut30 View Post
    Just bought my first set of Ddrum Dios! They are the ASH black burst 5 piece with virgin kick (22X20).....AND let me say what a sound from that kick....I threw an old comforter in the kick before I put on the front head, didn't do any tuning of any sort. Put my pedal on gave her a kick with stock Ddrum bass kick head.....and it blew me away. IT sounded like a BASS CANNON going off in my house. My wife was standing in the door way of the room I was in and her eyes got about as big as saucers....she was like WOW, do they normally sound that loud.....I was like NO! That thing sound freaking AMAZING!! I told my wife I bet our neighbor were all like....Dang honey, did you hear and feel that, must be a trimmer!! Not to pleased with the sound of the snare or the floor tom, but I'll get that taken care of eventually.

Pics to come shortly!
    Congrats..........let's see those pics

User Info Menu

I haven't gotten my cymbals yet but heres my drums with my hardware!

http://s837.photobucket.com/user/Jer...tml?state=copy

User Info Menu

I have a question for you guys. I have a set of Ddrum dios Ash that I just recently purchased and overall I love the kit, but I'm not to happy with the sound of the snare (6X14)...for lack of a better term or explanation, it has to much of a "pang" sound when I hit it, as apposed to a more tradition "pick" sound... I know that's probably a terrible explanation, and I apologize, buts that's about the best way I describe it. I admit I haven't went into to much of an extensive tuning process, but I did give it some attempt and couldn't seem to take any of that "pang" sound out. It has the factory heads on it and a factory 20 wire kit. SO, what I've been wondering is if anyone has any suggestions. My thoughts I have is a total upgrade, new top and bottom head, and an upgrade to a pure sound 30 wire kit.....but that's just my thoughts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by drumnut30; 02-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a question for you guys. I have a set of Ddrum dios Ash that I just recently purchased and overall I love the kit, but I'm not to happy with the sound of the snare (6X14)...for lack of a better term or explanation, it has to much of a "pang" sound when I hit it, as apposed to a more tradition "pick" sound... I know that's probably a terrible explanation, and I apologize, buts that's about the best way I describe it. I admit I haven't went into to much of an extensive tuning process, but I did give it some attempt and couldn't seem to take any of that "pang" sound out. It has the factory heads on it and a factory 20 wire kit. SO, what I've been wondering is if anyone has any suggestions. My thoughts I have is a total upgrade, new top and bottom head, and an upgrade to a pure sound 30 wire kit.....but that's just my thoughts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd try a good quality batter head first......................most stock resos and snares are "good enough"

User Info Menu

A change of heads should help a lot. Lately, I have been using Aquarian Super 2 batter for my ~5" snares and the Aquarian Triple Threat for my 6.5 deep snare. FYI though, the Triple Threat even though it's 3 ply, sounds like a single ply...don't know how they pull that off. Anyway, search the forum and there are MANY good suggestions for snare heads depending on the sound you want. I prefer the Aquarians for snare batter because they seem to be the most durable heads out there.

If you have a drum shop near you, they may be able to help you tune it if you are having problems, especially if you buy new heads from them

Good luck.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, I really think I want to try the Evan's genera HD dry with the vent holes......I sit in and helped out a worship band and played a kit in a church years ago (probably 15-20 years ago) that belong to someone else that had a snare head with vent holes in it.....I have no idea if that one was even made by Evans, but like I said, it did have the vent holes and I remember thinking that was one of the best sounding snares I have ever played....and it wasn't even a real expensive drum kit, or snare.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, I really think I want to try the Evan's genera HD dry with the vent holes......I sit in and helped out a worship band and played a kit in a church years ago (probably 15-20 years ago) that belong to someone else that had a snare head with vent holes in it.....I have no idea if that one was even made by Evans, but like I said, it did have the vent holes and I remember thinking that was one of the best sounding snares I have ever played....and it wasn't even a real expensive drum kit, or snare.
    I run the Genera HD dry on most of snares and love it, but I like a "controlled" snare sound, not a big fan of excessive overtones

User Info Menu

I run the Genera HD dry on most of snares and love it, but I like a "controlled" snare sound, not a big fan of excessive overtones
    Yea, I watched a few snare head comparison video's on Youtube yesterday and the Genera HD Dry with the vent holes definitely seem to have the closest sound to what I'm wanting and looking to achieve!

User Info Menu

I went ahead and purchased the Evans Genera HD dry head with the vent holes. Got it in and put it on yesterday.....I really like it!! Has a lot less of that pang sound and more of a clean crack sound!! Still has just a bit of a pang, but I think I can do a little tweaking and maybe a moon gel on the bottom head and get that out! Overall I love it!!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

I went ahead and purchased the Evans Genera HD dry head with the vent holes. Got it in and put it on yesterday.....I really like it!! Has a lot less of that pang sound and more of a clean crack sound!! Still has just a bit of a pang, but I think I can do a little tweaking and maybe a moon gel on the bottom head and get that out! Overall I love it!!
    You shouldn't need any moongels on the reso head..............just keep tinkering with the tuning, and you'll get the sound you're looking for

User Info Menu

I ended up buying a pack of moon gels, and put one on both top and bottom head and I love it! It has a real clean punchy sound without hardly any overtone....maybe not the sound everyone else likes, but I really like it!!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Hey guys, just purchased a Ddrum Birch Hybrid (Electric/Acoustic) 6 piece kit. It's a slick looking kit. It was kinda a deal that was too good to pass up. What are your thoughts on this, pros, cons, yea or nea? Any advice, input is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

1b107e04627706fc245f5498d618028c.jpg
    Last edited by Pearldrummer; 02-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

I played on one in Chicago. It's super slick for sure.
    I have a love/hate relationship with triggers.
    When I was in my metal band I used them and had troubles on and off drove me nuts.
    But being that kit is setup from the factory it did pretty well when I played it.
    I think it looks new age industrial and bad to the bone.
    The red accents to match the red triggers are a nice touch.

User Info Menu

Looking at that picture, it looks as if they have 2 triggers on the kick. That is what I used to do when I ran Ddrum triggers (on my kick only) about 15 years ago. Just in case 1 didn't fire, for whatever reason. Worked great.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com