Thread: double bass dilemma

insane-asylum Guest

Default double bass dilemma

yeah i am having some trouble in the double bass area. When i get to a certain speed i start to flam instead or rlrlrlrlrlrl it it gets irratating. Its only at a certain speed its weird. I know what people normally say which is work up slowly but its only at that speed. idk what bpm it is but its the speed of the pre chorus/some other parts of Killswitch engage-the end of heartache. At higher speeds its okay slower speeds ok.

User Info Menu

Default Re: double bass dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by insane-asylum View Post
    yeah i am having some trouble in the double bass area. When i get to a certain speed i start to flam instead or rlrlrlrlrlrl it it gets irratating. Its only at a certain speed its weird. I know what people normally say which is work up slowly but its only at that speed. idk what bpm it is but its the speed of the pre chorus/some other parts of Killswitch engage-the end of heartache. At higher speeds its okay slower speeds ok.
    HOLA como estas mi amigo INSANE-ASYLUM creative artistic open minded drummer artist CAT within alot of aware-ness wisdom knowledge * AMIGO HOW long have you been USEING gaining Knowledge within the use of DOUBLE PEADALS ? I will state this AS THIS IS FORSURE A FACT since I been performing within this VERY DISCIPLINDED STRUCTURED AND COMPLEX TECHNIQUES of DOUBLE PEDALS My whole LIFE * Every thing the hands do the FEET DO and the artist is ONLY going to be as CONTROLED as with the FEET as they are with their HANDS SO EVERY thing just TAKES TIME in fact its a life time and beyond to MASTER just*WORK on BEING very controled take every thing VERY SLOW and then you will ENHANCE your own Unique DISTINCT ARTISTRY beyond * GRACIAS

insane-asylum Guest

about 2 weeks using double bass

User Info Menu

HOLA amigo every thing well come to within time and gracias JUST do not rush amigo *

User Info Menu

lookup Kenny Aronoff
    power drumming thingy....helped me

User Info Menu

you should see that guys discography EPIC

sorry about the double post

User Info Menu

There's your problem. Give it time.

User Info Menu

Definitely, not enough time to be discouraged. Just keep practicing, as you stated, building speed gradually. Like most things in drumming, it will probably happen as an epiphany. It will just "click" all of a sudden, and then it will no longer be a burden. But then you'll have the next burden, and the process starts again.

That's what makes this journey so fun. It never, ever stops. Well, it does, but not while we're drawing breath, anyway.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I agree with the other posts, two weeks is nothing in the grand sceme. Sticks Wizard speaks with wisdom and great experience especially. It can take months to years to feel comfortable with a new technique. I also agree that things can be wicked frustrating and then suddenly click into place. I don't play double kick, but that's the way it was with me when it came to learning John Bonham's right foot patterns way back when. I thought I was never gonna get it, then click...
    Just keep at it!!
    Peace and rhythm...
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

insane-asylum Guest

Yeah i kinda like what lagerhead said about how problems like this are what make the journey fun

User Info Menu

its taken me a year or two to learn the heel toe on both feet, and to control the same as you, yet still i have the same speed thing, but im sure its just time before i get it right too. So just keep trying to make it sound as correct as you can, if you get to those parts when jamming, just play the bass and really focus on getting it right.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

if you have a little cash to spend, check out Jason Bittner's DVD "what drives the beat" he does some good double bass work in that.

User Info Menu

Find the fastest speed where the strokes are even and play there. Slowly add 5 or 10 bpm (helps to have a metronome) until you can play evenly at each new speed. Don't progress to a new speed until you've mastered the one you're at now.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

3 things: metronome, jogging in place, and something i do, is go really slow, about as slow as i could go with one pedal, but do it with two. are you playing with two singles? if you are, you might want to try taking your right pedal OFF and away from you, and sometimes moving your hi hat to the right side. and for the entire day that you practice, every single rhythm, every beat, every song you play to, do it with your left foot, and your other hand playing the hi hat. it will be really slow at first that you play these rhythms, but it will do wonders for familiarity with the other side of your body thats been accustomed to one way of playing for so long. also, when your not playing your drumset, get a chair, sit on a park bench, or anywhere else with a place to sit on, grab a water bottle, and practice rlrlrlrl until your legs hurt, take a break, drink some water, and then keep going, as fast as you can go while being accurate and coordinated. if you give it a chance, in time youll build balanced and ambidexterity.

User Info Menu

Sounds annoying