Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zildjian ZBT Review

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian ZBT Review

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    So where does that leave Planet Z cymbals?

I wouldn't say ZBTs are an entry level cymbal.
    ZBT's are entry level cymbals. Planet Z's are throw-away cymbals.
    Matt

User Info Menu

ZBTs are most definitely entry-level cymbals. Zildjian marks them under the same catagory as Planet Zs (Bronze Beginnings). Trust me, don't as why, but I had to use a set of ZBTs for like 5 months with the china as the crash. Ugh...

User Info Menu

Cracked 4 cymbals in 2 years and you rate them an 8.5 out of 10??! I must be doing something wrong...playing almost 50 years and haven't cracked one yet. The ZBT's are strictly an entry level until you get to be a better drummer product. Since you've got cracked cymbals, now would be a good time to start researching quality cymbals

I just got a set of z custom's for my birthday
    CB drums-blue
    22X16 bass
    14in snare
    12, 13, 16, 16 in toms
    Remo emperor coated drum heads

Zildjian
    ZBT 14in hihats
    Z custom 16 & 18 in crashes
    A Custom Ping ride 22in

Wuhan
    18 in china
    10 in splash

CB drums 16in thin crash, & 13in thin splash

Yamaha lefty double bass pedal

Zildjian 5A sticks

User Info Menu

Happy Birthday to you and I hope that you have better luck with the cymbals. Very thoughtful presents for you...
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Planet Z's are "budget" cymbals, really not worth buying at all.

If you compare ZBT's to ZHT's (which are also still stamped, not cast) you can see the ZBT's are beginner cymbals. When you compare the to A's, etc... there's no doubt. Huge difference in sound quality.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have a zildjian zbt set and it is way better than I thought. I replaced the 20" ride with a meinl 20" hcs ride

User Info Menu

My pack included a 20" ride, 16" crash, and 14" hi-hat cymbals

User Info Menu

I love the zbt 16" crash. Honestly I haven't found a single flaw with mine

User Info Menu

I bought a used pearl sound check and it came with the set of zbt's I listed before and an extra 18" pearl crash/ride and the only cymbal I disliked was the ride. I would suggest these cymbals to anyone who is on budget or just really likes the sound like me.

User Info Menu

I've tried really nice zildjian a's & k's, but I have still never found a 16" crash in by opinion that beats the zbt.

User Info Menu

I have a set of ZBTs that I bought used for $100---14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride, 18" china, along with a Sabian B8 18" crash/ride---I use them mainly for practice, but I also have been successful (with some carefully placed bits of tape, and a little EQ) in getting some good recordings with them! My gigging kit has Meinl 13" hats, 10" splash, 14'', 16" crashes, an 18" Wuhan china, and a ZBT 20" ride---it's refreshing to hear some decent reviews for a change!

User Info Menu

Guys - I've been playing drums for over fifty years. May I offer a word of advise with the best intentions in mind for you?

I know what it is like to pursue drumming while being completely broke. I won't go into the gory details except to say that for years I played whatever junk was available to me. My first "cymbal" was a solid steel disc that had been removed from a farm disc harrow. Even a stinky little stamped brass cymbal was a big step up!

Here is what I would advise: if you must play cymbals like ZBTs, do it. They will get you by. But while playing your ZBTs, your number one focus should be on buying some good used cast cymbals. Old Zildjian "A" cymbals sell for very reasonable prices on ebay and CL. Buy the nastiest-looking ones if that's what it takes to get a good deal. Five minutes with some Bar Keepers Friend will make a cruddy-looking "A" or "K" look like brand new, and will be a huge step-up in sound and performance.

You can make almost any drumset sound good with proper heads and tuning. Not so with cymbals. Cymbals are what make or break the sound of a drumset - to both the player and the audience.

Use those ZBTs for all they are worth. But use them as stepping stones to the good stuff. You cannot imagine the positive difference they will make in your playing, your sound, and your pride.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Guys - I've been playing drums for over fifty years. May I offer a word of advise with the best intentions in mind for you?

I know what it is like to pursue drumming while being completely broke. I won't go into the gory details except to say that for years I played whatever junk was available to me. My first "cymbal" was a solid steel disc that had been removed from a farm disc harrow. Even a stinky little stamped brass cymbal was a big step up!

Here is what I would advise: if you must play cymbals like ZBTs, do it. They will get you by. But while playing your ZBTs, your number one focus should be on buying some good used cast cymbals. Old Zildjian "A" cymbals sell for very reasonable prices on ebay and CL. Buy the nastiest-looking ones if that's what it takes to get a good deal. Five minutes with some Bar Keepers Friend will make a cruddy-looking "A" or "K" look like brand new, and will be a huge step-up in sound and performance.

You can make almost any drumset sound good with proper heads and tuning. Not so with cymbals. Cymbals are what make or break the sound of a drumset - to both the player and the audience.

Use those ZBTs for all they are worth. But use them as stepping stones to the good stuff. You cannot imagine the positive difference they will make in your playing, your sound, and your pride.

GeeDeeEmm
    I wasn't saying that there weren't way better cymbals. I was just saying I love the 16" crash and I still haven't found a 16" crash I like more.

User Info Menu

What all packs do zbt's come in

User Info Menu

Mine came with a 20" ride, 16" crash, and 14" hi-hats. I've also seen some that come with 18" crash/ride, 14" crash, and 13" hi-hats. What others are there.

User Info Menu

My kit has a 18" pearl crash, 16" zildjian zbt crash, 20" meinl hcs ride, and 14" zildjian zbt hi-hats

User Info Menu

I had Zildjian zbt hats, 16" crash and 18" ride and a china. Meh, they weren't that great. They got the job done, but the sound left a lot to be desired. They were great beginner cymbals.

I now have Sabian XS20 line and they are only marginally better. As soon as the wallet says "yes" again, I'm hoping to get into some nice AAXs or HHXs.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

There not great but the 14" hats and 16" crash are amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    There not great but the 14" hats and 16" crash are amazing.
    Glad to hear you think it's amazing. Mine sounded like a trash can lid.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I had a 14H, 16C and 20R pack of ZBT. I hated my 16 crash, not having a go at ZBT - I have heard a ZBT crash that sounded much better than mine, unfortunately I bought unheard mail order and could not choose. Just shows that even in 'identical' sheet B8 bronze sets there can be considerable differences in sound. The Ride was OK and I liked the hats.

User Info Menu

I think you may be able to land a gem, every once in awhile, with the "starter" packs.

I have a ton of "high-end" cymbals...................and I used a 16" Zildjian Scimitar for quite a few years............it just sounded great, better than cymbals worth twice as much.

A few years ago, I was at church and the drummer's ride sounded absolutely amazing.

After the service, my son and I walked up to see what kind of ride it was, fully expecting some kind of K Constantinople, or other very expensive cymbal.

Turned out, it was a 20" Sabian B8..................man she sounded pretty.

I posted this a couple of years ago, but couldn't find it.

User Info Menu

IIRC, Rickthedrummer used to use a cheaper Meinl ride in his videos..........................sounded great

User Info Menu

I use a cheap meinl ride. Meinl 20" hcs to be exact.

User Info Menu

Are zht's beginner cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    Are zht's beginner cymbals
    Yes. Beginner / Student level at best. IMO

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007