User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian ZBT Review

Zildjian makes planet z's

User Info Menu

?

User Info Menu

Are sabian aax's the highest “ranking” of sabian cymbals.

User Info Menu

Can't really say - once you get into Pro level cymbals its really down to personal choice. You will find each major cymbal manufacturer has a comprehensive range of Pro level cymbals and probably don't really have a 'highest level'. A pro level cymbal is a pro level cymbal period.- but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the best available for you, personal choice and sound preference is more important than what 'level' a cymbal is. Some ranges will be comprehensive with a wide range of splashes, crashes, hats, rides and china cymbals. This doesn't necessarily mean that that particular range is the best available made by that manufacturer for you - but it does mean that it is a very well regarded and successful range of cymbal so the manufacturer is confident enough to invest in and manufacture a full range.

AAX cymbals are definitely pro level. I think the best thing for you to do is to check some online retail stores - they normally state what metal they are made of (brass, B8, B20 etc) and give a brief description of level, also check out the manufacturers website, read the descriptions and listen to the soundfiles. Also read as many cymbals reviews as you can online to give you as much info as possible. Remember that much of this info is put out by manufacturers (who are after your money) so their own reviews will be biased. Owners reviews can also be biased as it represents their personal view of what sounds good.

Try to find out what range of cymbals are used by drummers who perform music that you like. It may not mean they are the best available but it is a good indication that they will be suitable for the music you like.

Finally, if you decide to take the plunge and buy pro level cymbals - visit a store and try to listen to them in person. Cymbals can be very expensive items and can last a lifetime if chosen wisely. Don't rush into making a decision - if in any doubt wait.

User Info Menu

I thought it went A,AA,AAX

User Info Menu

There is not a Sabian A. only AA and AAX. AA, AAX, HH, HHX, Paragon, Vault, Radia, SR2 and various cymbals listed under "Signature" at different times are all pro level and are just for different sounds. There was also a Sabian APX but not sure if this was pro or intermediate, it's discontinued now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    I thought it went A,AA,AAX
    Only zildjian has an "A"
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Well I also noticed there is quite a difference in the prices of sabian AA's and AAX's and zildjian A's and K's. Is sabian better than zildjian quality wise? Also I noticed this in all sabian pro level cymbals and Zildjian pro level cymbals, not just with the AA's, AAX's, A's, and K's.

User Info Menu

The cymbal packs were also the same size.

User Info Menu

Well I also noticed there is quite a difference in the prices of sabian AA's and AAX's and zildjian A's and K's. Is sabian better than zildjian quality wise? Also I noticed this in all sabian pro level cymbals and Zildjian pro level cymbals, not just with the AA's, AAX's, A's, and K's.
    It's so hard to tell quality wise because there's so many different lines of cymbals and metal combinations. It comes down to the sound you're looking for. Everyone's different, and both brands have great cymbals, but I prefer Sabian. I think they make amazing rides. I own the HH raw bell dry ride. The raw bell dry ride line up is the best line up of rides I've ever heard.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Is Sabian better than Zildjian? Well, that is personal preference. My ride and x-hats are '70's era Zildjian that still look and sound great. The crashes that I got with them cracked around the bells years ago. My Sabian Xs20's are about four years old. I play very hard and frequent. No damage to these at all. Were the Zildjian's weaker or was it my bad technique at the time that destroyed them? Who knows? I do know that technique has a lot to do with how long a cymbal will last. As far as the letter designation on the cymbals, that is all series markers. All the A series of Sabian are going to be brighter than their H series. The best Sabians? I would probably say the Paragons. They were designed with the assistance of Neil Peart. Not that he makes them great, but, they are just beautiful sounding cymbals IMO. The old Vault series were very good also. You can go to Zildjian and Sabian's pages and read about and hear all their series. From entry level to top of the line. Hope this helps.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    The crashes that I got with them cracked around the bells years ago. My Sabian Xs20's are about four years old. I play very hard and frequent. No damage to these at all. Were the Zildjian's weaker or was it my bad technique at the time that destroyed them? Who knows? I do know that technique has a lot to do with how long a cymbal will last.
    Crash cymbals cracking around the bell: were you running your crash cymbal wingnut too tight so that the cymbal could not move freely? And you are absolutely correct about proper technique extending a cymbal's life. Here are some good tips from the Paiste site: http://www.paiste.com/e/support_usag...php?menuid=318

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

On the subject of price - if you shop around you will find prices definitely aren't fixed and different retailers will not sell the same cymbal at the same price. As to which company makes the best quality cymbals - that is difficult to answer and you will probably get a different answer from each drummer you ask as it will be based on their personal preference.

I know this may not seem very helpful, but, as others have said, it is best to listen to as many as you can in person and make your own decision based on the sounds you like - NOT on price sticker or name of manufacturer.

What is your favourite genre of music?

User Info Menu

Well, my favorite band is Skillet. So, my favorite genre is probably Christian Rock.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about Skillet, but for rock music I would personally choose either Zildjian A Customs, or Sabian AAX if I had the cash for pro cymbals. This only reflects my personal preference for brighter sounding cymbals - it may be a good idea to watch as many youtube videos of live performances, and try to see bands you like playing locally if you get the opportunity to take note of any cymbals you like the sound of. Sometimes I have been surprised by some of the cymbals used - many times the drummers haven't been using 'pro' level cymbals but they still sounded good in that venue.

User Info Menu

The drummer (Jen Ledger) uses AAX's and AA's

User Info Menu

Well then I think you answered your own question, if that is the sound you are going for.

User Info Menu

The drummer (Jen Ledger) uses AAX's and AA's
    AA's are usually used by rock drummers. Nice big crashes

-Mike

User Info Menu

Again has anyone heard of an Argent shell package.

User Info Menu

You may have better luck if you create a new thread in the correct area asking about that shell pack. After all, this is a cymbal thread that was originally a review of Zildjian ZBT's.
    Anyway, I've never heard of Argent, but I'm guessing it's a beginner brand similar to Sound Percussion, Pulse and various others. I could definitely be wrong though, it's just a guess. Have you tried searching around on the internet for info on this brand?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    You may have better luck if you create a new thread in the correct area asking about that shell pack. After all, this is a cymbal thread that was originally a review of Zildjian ZBT's.
    Anyway, I've never heard of Argent, but I'm guessing it's a beginner brand similar to Sound Percussion, Pulse and various others. I could definitely be wrong though, it's just a guess. Have you tried searching around on the internet for info on this brand?
    This

-Mike

User Info Menu

Ok back on topic. I have a friend who owns a really nice ddrum set worth about $1200. He almost has all his cymbals sabian AAX's, but by choice he is keeping his 14" hats as zbt's and keeps his 20" ride as a zbt. He also loved his zbt 16" crash; so much to where he over played it and cracked it. He's about to buy a new 16" zbt soon. He is also pretty much a pro drummer and only uses pro cymbals.

User Info Menu

Ok back on topic. I have a friend who owns a really nice ddrum set worth about $1200. He almost has all his cymbals sabian AAX's, but by choice he is keeping his 14" hats as zbt's and keeps his 20" ride as a zbt. He also loved his zbt 16" crash; so much to where he over played it and cracked it. He's about to buy a new 16" zbt soon. He is also pretty much a pro drummer and only uses pro cymbals.
    Again, it all depends on the sound you're looking for. I personally love the sound of b8 hihats when they're flipped

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm not saying zbt's are pro cymbals, but I am saying that just because zbt's are beginner cymbals doesn't make them useless or not worth buying.

User Info Menu

If that's the sound you want then go for it! They're not all useless, I mean I played the 10" splash for a while on someone else's set and it wasn't bad, and the hi-hats are definitely usable for louder music. But personally I believe that regardless of what style you play, if you want quality cymbals on a budget there are much better alternatives for the same price (or less). But if he's happy with his ZBT's then that's great too.