Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zildjian ZBT Review

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian ZBT Review

Has anybody heard of a cymbal called a chin-dal? I have a 14" that is this kind but I don't know if it's a crash or what.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    Has anybody heard of a cymbal called a chin-dal? I have a 14" that is this kind but I don't know if it's a crash or what.
    Chin-dal cymbals were once supplied with Mapex entry level drum kits - I have a 14" starter kit hi hat top that is probably the same thing, its so thin that if used as a hi hat it will invert if you put any pressure on the pedal. I used it for a crash until I scraped the cash together for a replacement 'proper' crash. If you have one - use it until you can afford a replacement.

On the question of ZHT cymbals - they are Zildjian's higher end sheet metal cymbals, personally I think practically every other manufacturer sells better cymbals at the same price point. ZHT are made of B12 (12% tin content instead of 8% tin content in B8 cymbals). Zildjian claim that the extra tin content gives them 'extra musicality', personally I cannot hear this extra musicality in Zildjian's B12 and believe that 'higher quality' B8 ranges from Sabian, Paiste and Meinl sound better to me than Zildjian ZHT. All personal opinion of course and others probably won't agree.

If you are buying new cymbals - Sabian's B20 XS20 range, Dream, Wuhan and Stagg B20 cymbals retail for similar or lower prices to ZHT, and sound far better to me.

Instead of buying new cymbals - do yourself a favour and consider buying used pro level cymbals - Zildjian A, A Custom, Sabian A, AA, or AAX from eBay or similar. In the unlikely event you don't care for them they are really easy to resell and your wallet will not take too much of a hit. If you buy ZHT new and decide to upgrade to pro level you will have to practically give them away, they will have little resale value.

User Info Menu

Well I wouldn't mind getting a new ride, 14" crash, and a 12" splash

User Info Menu

But my zildjian zbt 14" hats and 16" crash I actually like really well

User Info Menu

I know this is off topic but where does a china cymbal normally go?

User Info Menu

Also I do not believe planet z's are throw away cymbals. I think u should keep them as spares in case one breaks u could use a planet z as a replacement until buy a new one.

User Info Menu

Everyone places their cymbals in a different spot. Whatever you're comfortable with. Usually people have it on the right side of the kit.

Also I do not believe planet z's are throw away cymbals. I think u should keep them as spares in case one breaks u could use a planet z as a replacement until buy a new one.
    When I bought my kit second hand, it had planet z hi hats and crash/ride. The hi hats sounded like trash can lids within a week. They bent very quick. I ended up putting them in a stack. Sounded alright. Worst cymbals I've played. The only planet z cymbal I still use today is the crash/ride. I cut it down to 16" and hammered the bow slighty. Of course, when you hammer bronze, It's going to lose a lot of sustain. Sounds ok.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 01-25-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wherever you want to place it! Personally I don't use a china much - so I place it right at the back above my floor tom. My cymbals are arranged - Hats, Splash, (go to) Crash, Crash, Ride - then China at the back. I generally play 2 up, 1 down. If I remove my 2nd 'up' tom I will swap positions of my Ride and 2nd Crash - whichever way I set up I always have my china in the least accessible place as I don't use it much.

Have a look through the "show us your drums thread" - you will quickly realise that there aren't any rules for cymbal placement. The only thing I consider a rule when it comes to cymbals is place your most used cymbals in positions that are comfortable to reach and easy to get to.

User Info Menu

Are solar by sabian cymbals good

User Info Menu

I use 2 up 1 down as well and I put my 20" ride right above the low hanging tom

User Info Menu

Solars are entry level cymbals, like planet z's

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wow I thought I might have actually had a expensive cymbal

User Info Menu

Although I do have a pretty nice/expensive wuhan 16" china.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

How much does a good quality sabian 12" splash usually cost?

User Info Menu

How much does a good quality sabian 12" splash usually cost?
    Look online or try some at your drum shop. There's a big difference in price.

-Mike

User Info Menu

No - I have a yellow brass 10" splash, bought in a flea market for about £2. The labels were long faded but on inspection had 'made in Canada' and a very faint Sabian logo stamped in - it is a Sabian Solar 10" splash.

I paid £2 too much for it.

Solars were replaced by Sabian SBr cymbals a few years ago. If these are for sale they are either old stock or previously owned. Don't do it.

User Info Menu

Oh the solar is a 16" crash and it came with my old drum set

User Info Menu

Oh the solar is a 16" crash and it came with my old drum set
    What kind of drums do you have?

-Mike

User Info Menu

My old one was an old 4-piece. The hanging Tom, floor Tom, and bass drum were argent, and the snare was excel. My new kit is a 5-piece pearl sound check.

User Info Menu

I've never been able to find a single match to my argent set no matter where I look.

User Info Menu

Has anyone else heard of an argent shell package

User Info Menu

Are b8 sabian cymbals beginners

User Info Menu

Are b8 sabian cymbals beginners
    B8's are alright. They're like zbt's. I have a b8 thin crash and hihats. Love them

-Mike

User Info Menu

Here is a list of beginner and intermediate cymbals, hopefully this will help you:

Zildjian: Planet Z, ZBT, ZBT Plus, ZXT, ZHT, Scimitar, Amir II

Sabian: Solar, SBR, B8, B8X, B8 Pro, XS20

Paiste: 101, PST3, PST5, 302, 404, 505, 802, Alpha

Meinl: HCS, MCS, Headliner, Schalloch, Classics...various older discontinued series that I'm not familiar with

Stagg: can't remember the series but it's made of brass

Anything from Camber

Anything by a drum company (Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Yamaha, Mapex, Percussion Plus, Sound Percussion, Pulse, etc). These are all cheap and are usually made by one of the above cymbal companies, same as one of their existing beginner lines.

Out of all of these, if you want cymbals like that, the Paiste PST5 and Alpha or Sabian XS20 would be your best option. Meinl Classics also has some nice models.

However, I wouldn't buy from any of them, because there are so many other companies selling better made cymbals for the same prices. The catch is, for the most part, you need to pick them in person as quality varies a lot. These include:
    Wuhan, Stagg, Sabian SR2, CRX, Dream, Kasza, XingSir and Agazarian. Of these, the best IMO are Sabian SR2 (refurbished pro cymbals for cheap), Kasza, Dream and CRX. XingSir only seems to make chinas, but these are outstanding if you're not a hard hitter (they're very thin).