Thread: Drum Heads!!!

User Info Menu

Default Drum Heads!!!

i was wondering what heads Dom (from MUSE) uses?
    dont send me that wikipedia link, ive seen it a million times, but it doesnt show what resonant heads he uses

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads!!!

To be honest mate the reso heads on his kit are pointless in knowing - they don't have any real impact on what you hear either in the audience or on the CDs. Chances are they are just a single ply evans g1 or something similar, but overall no one mentions it because it's irrelevant to the sound he's recording/getting.

You gotta remember that what you hear from any band has been pre mixed and compressed and remixed again, even if it's live, and that's assuming he's not using triggers. If there's any triggering going on, then the sound we hear is even less authentic.

In fact I would go so far as to say that unless you're talking about a real low end brand of kit, stock reso heads are more than adequate for any application
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

According to http://www.musewiki.org/Drums:

He uses Remo and Aquarian heads. Dom generally uses the classic combination of clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors on his toms (coated Emperor in the OoS period), but has been seen with Pinstripe batter heads (on the Peavey kit).

The following combinations have been seem:

Silver sparkle: Super Kick II with no resonant side head
    Blue sparkle kick: Super Kick II over black ported Regulator
    Chrome kick: Powerstroke 3 over black ported resonant side head
    Ayotte kick: Powerstroke 3 over unknown resonant side head
    Crystal ice kick: Super Kick II over Force I or Powerstroke 3 over unknown clear ported Remo or Pinstripe over ported Pinstripe
    Coated Emperor, Controlled Sound or Hi-energy (Hullabaloo only) batters on his snare.

Note the one exception to this rule is when he uses the stock Tama heads, Evans clear G2 over clear G1, that come with every new kit of drums. As the G2/G1 combination is identical to his usual Emperor/Ambassadors he'll often use the stock heads until they wear and replace the batter only.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

thanks
    i was just curious because his toms are the best sounding i ever heard

User Info Menu

all that to confirm what i said. good to know i assumed right for a change.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?