Thread: Satin Finish - What should I use to clean them?

User Info Menu

Default Satin Finish - What should I use to clean them?

Just picked up a PDP MX shell pack today. - used - I never had drums with a Satin finish before. I'm not sure what to clean them with. They need a good cleaning. HELP!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Satin Finish - What should I use to clean them?

I believe I read on DW's site, in the caring for your drums section, that Minwax Tung Oil is used. Great stuff, can be bought at home deplow.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

Dulap Drum Shell polish...sold in music stores. The guitar polish is not bad either.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

OCDDrummer is right DW does suggest tung oil. If you are looking for just a general cleaning I use Trick drum polish on my satin oil DW set or a Martin guitar polish. Always spray the soft cloth first as opposed to directly to the shell. Satin oil finishes will absorb liquids when left on the surface. The tung oil I've only done five times in 12 years. When I clean them doing this process I treat it more as a restoration and remove the hardware so it's just the shell. I was also told by DW that any light spots might be able to be sanded out with a 0000 steel wool, but don't sand very long or hard in one spot as you will burn the finish to a lighter shade in that area.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

PowerChord Guitar polish...SLAM DUNK!!! -Les

User Info Menu

Cool - thanks. I will use the Minwax when I change the heads and do a complete cleaning. And will try one of the polishs to clean them. I just posted some pics on thread "DW MX maple kit - Advice". I just got them Saturday.

Thanks
    Dave

User Info Menu

water