Thread: First Show

User Info Menu

Default First Show

Sorry if this is been discussed before but this is my first post so hopefully it will be forgiven.

So my band has our first show coming up in a few weeks. A couple of the guys have played shows before, but this will be my first. I realize there are a lot of very experienced drummers on this forum, and was hoping to get some input/advice. Anything would be appreciated...suggestions, stories, what to expect, etc. Thanks guys. Pretty sick little forum I stumbled across.

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Show

Welcome to the Forum! Keep a positive frame of mind. You're in the band because you have something to offer. You won't even notice anyone out in the audience because you'll be keeping your eyes on your band mates. Nothing to worry about...unless someone throws a rotten tomato or head of cabbage your way.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, ajh77.

If you guys are going for your first show, play it just like you've practiced it.

Make sure all your hareware is in working order and finally it wouldn't hurt to do a trial run on setup, soundcheck and teardown to be sure everything works and you know how much time to allow for setup.

You may also have issues at the gig with regards to power and overall space for the band. Have you scoped out the venue yet?

I could add a bunch of other things but lets see what others have to offer.

Good luck!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

welcome to drum chat

and for your first gig don't try to impress every one just be yourself and have fun

good luck

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Welcome AJH!

Keep it fun and just do your best. Don't worry about the rest.

User Info Menu

Just relax and have fun. I just played my first gig a few months ago and I had a great time. Just play like you do at practice. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

My cousin is the lead singer in a local cover band - he used to throw up beofre each gig to help him get over the nerves
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    My cousin is the lead singer in a local cover band - he used to throw up beofre each gig to help him get over the nerves
    Oh yea, that's really gonna help him!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum! My first performance was in a little theater packed with 200+ people, you'll get that mixed feeling of nervousness and excitement. In my experience, you won't have time to get nervous once you're up on the stage. You'll just have to play what you rehearsed.

Good luck!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Oh yea, that's really gonna help him!
    Can you say...Ulcers? i knew ya' could.

User Info Menu

Awesome, thanks guys.
    I have a really good feeling about, I just know the night of the show I'll be pretty nervous. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum ajh and you have already rec'd a ton of good info. Have fun at your gig , good luck to you and the band .

User Info Menu

Try and relax, if your tense you'll have had it after half a hour, i no expert by any means and these guys helped me out when i did my first open mic and relaxing seemed to be the main focus, nothings better than half way through the first song and your band mates are all smiling at eachother and you can see the crowd are emjoying it. Wash your hands before...sweaty hands=slippy sticks. Rock on..
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Just Have Fun!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ajh77 View Post
    Sorry if this is been discussed before but this is my first post so hopefully it will be forgiven.

So my band has our first show coming up in a few weeks. A couple of the guys have played shows before, but this will be my first. I realize there are a lot of very experienced drummers on this forum, and was hoping to get some input/advice. Anything would be appreciated...suggestions, stories, what to expect, etc. Thanks guys. Pretty sick little forum I stumbled across.
    Just stay calm. People wont be looking at you much.

User Info Menu

Hey AJH, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

I'm sure you and the rest of the band will be well rehearsed, but as you said you'll be a bit nervous too. Trust me that will go away after a couple of songs. And the best thing I know for stage fright if you experience any, is don't look at the audience. Focus on what you're there to do, and once you start feeling comfortable you'll be able to look around without it affecting you. I would also say to start out playing simple fills the first couple of songs, and when you start to loosen up and relax, let er rip! Remember that your audience will probably not notice any little mistakes you make (especially if you're playing a bar, LOL)....and we all do, so have fun and don't worry!

You'll be fine. Getting that first one under your belt makes every show after that easier. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it went!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.