Thread: Bass drum head broke...again

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Bass drum head broke...again

Ok i was gonna ask for help on finding a new one but i've found a Mapex VX Voyager kit for an awesome price. HOWEVER apparently theres some ply separation in the bass drum so i was wondering what effect that will have on the kit.
    thanks
    Last edited by kingy93; 02-18-2009 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum head broke...again

I don't know if it's too late now, but I wouldn't buy drums with ply separations, particularly bass drums because of the volume of air being pushed around inside of it. The separation will only get worse. You then have the problem of the loose plies buzzing inside your drum every time the pedal hits the head.

I would stay away and just buy a new head if your other bass drum is in good shape.

Just my opinion,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

I second that.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kingy93 View Post
    Ok i was gonna ask for help on finding a new one but i've found a Mapex VX Voyager kit for an awesome price. HOWEVER apparently theres some ply separation in the bass drum so i was wondering what effect that will have on the kit.
    thanks
    I third the previous comments.

And by the way, what's your current kit? Just wondering

User Info Menu

Yep. To quote Larrysperf, nuf said!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yep. To quote Larrysperf, nuf said!

User Info Menu

If you can, take the bass to a qualified instrument repair technician. It may be that the separation can be glued back together. I had this done on a bass drum hoop that developed a crack several years ago. It's been fine ever since.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

do you mean the plies of the drumhead or the wood? cause people pay good money for less plies of wood, they call it "solid shell"- i know its not what you have, but since they are seperated you have a unique oppurtunity to either restore them to original condition, or remove that layer completely and get closer to the true tone of that wood; very big in the custom drum business, solid shells are usually only used in snares; id love to hear a solid shell bass drum though one time. might be a different vibe.
    Last edited by MortalDrumbat; 02-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.