Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what songs go down well?

User Info Menu

Default what songs go down well?

Hi all, Well after weeks of our band going through a bit of a dip with the likes of commitment levels, trying to take over, me trying for another band, no singer for ages and things we've sorted all our problems, were all up for it, we have a additional guitarist/singer and the bassist is having a crack at singing. Were tring to get some more songs together and i like your help with what goes down well, here's a list of the kind of mixture we doing..

Zombie - cranberries
    valarie - zutons
    smells like teen spirit
    20th century boy
    paranoid
    come together
    sweet dreams (rock version)
    tainted love (rock version)
    the trooper
    what's up - 4 non blondes
    parisienne walkways
    you shook me all night long
    money for nothing
    inside - stiltskin
    house of the rising sun (rock version)
    sweet child o mine
    long train running

i carn't think of hand the what the others are, it's more rock, old school, classic rock, do any of you guys do anything along the same sort of music that goes down well?

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: what songs go down well?

why not try some Crue: grls grls grls or maybe dr. feelgood,
    then throw in some Staind

User Info Menu

How about Fortunate Son by CCR, Rockin' in the Free World by Neil Young, Saturday Night 's All Right by Elton John, they usually go off well

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have a pretty decent mix of rock music. One of my favorites is the Disturbed remake of Land of Confusion.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    How about Fortunate Son by CCR, Rockin' in the Free World by Neil Young, Saturday Night 's All Right by Elton John, they usually go off well

I've heard the nickelback ft. Kid Rock version of Saturday nights alright for fighting. i might mention that one..

Cheers
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Rockin' in the Free World is a great song. Might try to convince the band to play it.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Paranoid, Rock 'n Roll, Immigrant Song, Bohemian Rhapsody get the most applause

User Info Menu

here's a list of bands and songs I'm in the process of setting up for my new band to cover... we're more of an 1990s alternative rock and reggae band, any metal you see is purely to keep me entertained.

Foo Fighters
    - Everlong
    - Hero
    - Monkey Wrench
    - Pretenders
    - Amber
    - Gray Sky
    - Come Original
    - Don’t Stay Up
    Smashing Pumpkins
    - _____
    Sublime
    - 40oz to Freedom
    - Santaria
    - Thanks dub
    Alice In Chains
    - Man in the Box
    - Rooster
    - Would?
    - Flood
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    - My Friends
    - Give it Away
    Green Day
    - Having a Blast
    - Basketcase
    Motley Crew
    - _____
    - _____
    Weezer
    - In the Garage
    - _____
    Soundgarden
    - Outshined
    - Fell On Black Days
    - Spoonman
    - The Day I Tried to Live
    - Burden in my Hand
    Metallica
    - Where Ever I May Roam
    - Medley
    Finger 11
    - Paralyzer
    Alien Ant Farm
    - The Movies
    - _____
    Siamese Dream
    - _____
    - _____
    The Doors
    - Riders on the Storm
    - _____
    The Offspring
    - Self Esteem
    - Staring at the Sun
    Pantera
    - Walk
    - Great Southern Trendkill/Sandblasted Skin
    - Drag the Waters
    - _____
    Blur
    - Song No. 2
    Cracker
    - I hate my generation
    Sevendust
    - Denial
    - Driven
    Buckcherry
    - Crazy *****
    Rage Against the Machine
    - Killing in the Name Of
    - _____
    Pearl Jam
    - Even Flow
    - Yellow
    - _____
    The Cranberries
    - Zombie
    At The Drive In
    - One Arm Scissor
    The Clash
    - Rock the Casbah
    Jack Johnson

Our Lady Peace
    - Clumsy
    - ____
    Deftones
    - Fly
    - ___
    Nirvana
    - _____
    - _____
    Filter
    - Hey Man Nice Shot
    - Take My Picture
    Dave Matthew’s Band
    Pink Floyd
    Easy Dub Allstars
    Radiohead
    Stone Temple Pilots
    POD
    - Rock the Party
    - Southtown
    Creed
    Collective Soul
    ZZ Top
    Danzig
    - Mama
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Black Sabbath
    AC/DC
    Bob Marley
    Burning Spears***
    Don Carlos
    Gregory Issacs
    Black Guru
    Mgstic Revealers
    - Time and Space
    The Deep
    Manu Chao (La Primavera)

If anyone has anything to add, or suggestions/requests, I'm all ears (except for Sugar Ray and Nickleback/3Doors down... the guitarist hates them)
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

QS, my band does a good number of those as well. Nice selections.

For Weezer, listen to Hash Pipe. It's goofy to sing, but a great song. Can always do Say It Ain't So too, more well known.

The song "Yellow" is by Cold Play, not Pearl Jam, not that that matters. Unless you are talking about Yellow Ledbetter.

Check song Green Day off of Nimrod. Their best album in my book.

Mother isn't bad by Danzig, but there are some others that are cooler in my book. Blood and Tears is a cool mellower bluesy style song (for Danzig). She Rides is very cool. Twist of Cain is awesome too. And there a bunch on their second album as well.

Looks like your band is going to play stuff similar to mine, although we don't really do metal, and do some 80's rock instead.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Highway star and crazy train!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    For Weezer, listen to Hash Pipe. It's goofy to sing, but a great song. Can always do Say It Ain't So too, more well known.
    Hahaha! Actually, when we mentioned covering Weezer I noticed that there was some tension in the room until someone finally blurted out "I'm not f-ing doing Hash Pipe" and everyone else responded with "God I hate that song."
    I'll run Say It Ain't So by them though, thanks.

The song "Yellow" is by Cold Play, not Pearl Jam, not that that matters. Unless you are talking about Yellow Ledbetter.
    Yes, Yellow Ledbetter. Shoulda mentioned there's some shorthand in there. Cold Play definitely won't be on the list.

Check song Green Day off of Nimrod. Their best album in my book.
    I think we all agreed nothing after Dookie was getting done. Maybe one song after that album... but nobody feels strongly about it. I guess it'll depend on if we have requests from people we play for. We all kinda feel that Dookie was the last of the real Green Day.

Mother isn't bad by Danzig, but there are some others that are cooler in my book. Blood and Tears is a cool mellower bluesy style song (for Danzig). She Rides is very cool. Twist of Cain is awesome too. And there a bunch on their second album as well.
    I got it from the radio station... I know it's not "Danzig", but he was in the group that did it. That's more shorthand for me to go figure it out again.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Highway star and crazy train!
    Good possibilities right there. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Don't forget seven mary three

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    here's a list of bands and songs I'm in the process of setting up for my new band to cover... we're more of an 1990s alternative rock and reggae band, any metal you see is purely to keep me entertained.

Foo Fighters
    - Everlong
    - Hero
    - Monkey Wrench
    - Pretenders
    - Amber
    - Gray Sky
    - Come Original
    - Don’t Stay Up
    Smashing Pumpkins
    - _____
    Sublime
    - 40oz to Freedom
    - Santaria
    - Thanks dub
    Alice In Chains
    - Man in the Box
    - Rooster
    - Would?
    - Flood
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    - My Friends
    - Give it Away
    Green Day
    - Having a Blast
    - Basketcase
    Motley Crew
    - _____
    - _____
    Weezer
    - In the Garage
    - _____
    Soundgarden
    - Outshined
    - Fell On Black Days
    - Spoonman
    - The Day I Tried to Live
    - Burden in my Hand
    Metallica
    - Where Ever I May Roam
    - Medley
    Finger 11
    - Paralyzer
    Alien Ant Farm
    - The Movies
    - _____
    Siamese Dream
    - _____
    - _____
    The Doors
    - Riders on the Storm
    - _____
    The Offspring
    - Self Esteem
    - Staring at the Sun
    Pantera
    - Walk
    - Great Southern Trendkill/Sandblasted Skin
    - Drag the Waters
    - _____
    Blur
    - Song No. 2
    Cracker
    - I hate my generation
    Sevendust
    - Denial
    - Driven
    Buckcherry
    - Crazy *****
    Rage Against the Machine
    - Killing in the Name Of
    - _____
    Pearl Jam
    - Even Flow
    - Yellow
    - _____
    The Cranberries
    - Zombie
    At The Drive In
    - One Arm Scissor
    The Clash
    - Rock the Casbah
    Jack Johnson

Our Lady Peace
    - Clumsy
    - ____
    Deftones
    - Fly
    - ___
    Nirvana
    - _____
    - _____
    Filter
    - Hey Man Nice Shot
    - Take My Picture
    Dave Matthew’s Band
    Pink Floyd
    Easy Dub Allstars
    Radiohead
    Stone Temple Pilots
    POD
    - Rock the Party
    - Southtown
    Creed
    Collective Soul
    ZZ Top
    Danzig
    - Mama
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Black Sabbath
    AC/DC
    Bob Marley
    Burning Spears***
    Don Carlos
    Gregory Issacs
    Black Guru
    Mgstic Revealers
    - Time and Space
    The Deep
    Manu Chao (La Primavera)

If anyone has anything to add, or suggestions/requests, I'm all ears (except for Sugar Ray and Nickleback/3Doors down... the guitarist hates them)
    I think you just abought covered it lol but what about SUPERTRAMP. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

I also added The Who... if only we could afford to smash all out gear at the end of every song...

Quote Originally Posted by ohmthis View Post
    Don't forget seven mary three
    Adding that right now... I've already forgotten them like 8 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I think you just abought covered it lol but what about SUPERTRAMP. Nuff Said
    Hmmmm, I wonder if they'll go for that...

User Info Menu

Doobie Brothers... "What a Fool Believe's" very unique sound a cross between funk and rock.

Eagles..... "Hotel California" how can anyone leave these guys out...? or this song for that matter?

Roy Orbison...."Pretty Women" sorry but despite populer belief Van Halen did not write this tune. Note* I most likely spelled his last name wrong but I am to lazy to look it up!

Oh yea one more thing....

If I hear another Doors tune at a bar by a cover band I am gonna puke......Yes the doors was a good band but man..... they have been driven into the ground just by the name.

User Info Menu

The Trooper
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Rock you Like a Hurricane

User Info Menu

Id say Bohemian Rhapsody but you need the right singer for that. No one can do it like Freddy.

User Info Menu

I think we all agreed nothing after Dookie was getting done. Maybe one song after that album... but nobody feels strongly about it. I guess it'll depend on if we have requests from people we play for. We all kinda feel that Dookie was the last of the real Green Day.
    You can't be serious?!?! Nimrod was an awesome album - Nice Guys finish Last, and Hitchin a Ride are musts, sorry but that's just the way it is! Do it now, or my plunger shall find it's way to your head, Homer Simpson style!

Ok seriously though, those two songs kick, aaghhhh well you know what, but to answer the original posters question - it all depends on your crowd man. Are you in Pubs? Night clubs? Bikie Bars? Then there is always the local music that other countries won't be aware of. Like for example in Australia ther eis certain songs that people just love, sung by Aussie bands, that wouldn't go as well in America or England obviously, even if they were familiar with the song. I reckon you go out and see what some of the top local acts are doing for ideas.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Hi ho silver lining, jeff beck.
    caroline, status quo sry Im in a silly mood today.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread... was trying to avoid the always annoying thread topic redundancy.

crazymanwithaplunger - My dad was a plumber for decades. I am thoroughly trained in the art of plumbing tool weaponry. Be careful with who you challenge my friend (Besides, I think it's against union rules to attack me with a plunger).
    Seriously though, the last of the real Green Day was on Dookie. For those of us who were fans from the beginning. Playing the sell-out nonsense that came after Dookie is blasphemy, regardless of any songs being good or not (and I do kinda like a couple of them).

User Info Menu

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread... was trying to avoid the always annoying thread topic redundancy.

crazymanwithaplunger - My dad was a plumber for decades. I am thoroughly trained in the art of plumbing tool weaponry. Be careful with who you challenge my friend (Besides, I think it's against union rules to attack me with a plunger).
    Seriously though, the last of the real Green Day was on Dookie. For those of us who were fans from the beginning. Playing the sell-out nonsense that came after Dookie is blasphemy, regardless of any songs being good or not (and I do kinda like a couple of them).
    Are you challenging my fandomness? How dare you??!?! I take offence to that sir. I LOVE Dookie, do not get me wrong, and I concurr that beyond Nimrod, there has been allot of sell-out nonsense (*cough*minority*cough*) However, IMO Nimrod was still an excellent album, totally true to Greenday, of course the best songs weren't singles, Platypus and The Grouch come to mind here, and the one that was the biggest of all, while not IMO a sellout song, was made that way by all the people on the bandwagon, thanks to freakin Sienfeld of all things.. I mena seriously?!?! WTH was up with that? Where does Jerry get off doing that to Greenday. Sure, it made them household names, but it also ruined their next group of music. ANywyas... what was i saying.........Oh yeah..... plumbing and plungering are two totally different war horses my friend.....prepare thyself!
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Have to respectfully disagree. Kerplunk and Dookie were great, Insomniac not so hot, but I think Nimrod was fantastic. Nimrod was in no way a sell out, in fact it didn't do that well, because it wasn't. And American Idiot has some very good songs on it. It's more mainstream and very different from the early stuff, but you can't expect a band to write the same music for 20 years. And I started listening to them before they were on MTV, unlike most.

I don't buy into the "selling out" argument in general. Also, IMHO, they were never anything particularly original, but Armstrong is good at writing catchy songs. They copied their sound from numerous other punk bands that came before them.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

"Sell-out" is just the term my peers use. I really don't care if they did or not, they're set for life and they don't care what people think either, and I don't disagree with their business approach to that.
    And no, I don't expect them to sound the same for 20 years. But like with Metallica, the new stuff isn't the same as the first few CDs and the original fans don't like it (for the most part). My friends and I didn't like Insomniac and found other bands to listen to when that came out. I don't know anyone that doesn't like Nimrod, even though it's still not totally the same, but it's kinda a closet album for most people I know. They have it, but don't talk about it, or if they do it's not positive. Everything after that album has been terrible, in my opinion.
    To clarify everything... I have no problem with Nimrod, or whether you guys like all their stuff or not. I'm just giving the view of people I grew up with and the guys I'll be playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Oh yeah..... plumbing and plungering are two totally different war horses my friend.....prepare thyself!
    Mount thy steed and prepare thyself for PVC impalation!!!

User Info Menu

QS and Plunger...STOP You Guys are killing me..lolololol