Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I Make My Video's(Video)

User Info Menu

Default How I Make My Video's(Video)

I have been asked by a few of you how I make my video's, so here is a video of how I make one lol.

Unfortunately it is a condensed video, because of time restraints, so if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_FQncWib4Q[/ame]
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: How I Make My Video's(Video)

now thats funny no longer lol
    Nuff Said

User Info Menu

I just got done watching the majority of your videos and I'm extremely impressed with your skill. Both muscly and recording; its outstanding.

I do have a few questions, though. What is the brand/model of mixer and mics you use?
    --Cody

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I just got done watching the majority of your videos and I'm extremely impressed with your skill. Both muscly and recording; its outstanding.

I do have a few questions, though. What is the brand/model of mixer and mics you use?
    Thanks man.

I use a Phonic Helix Firewire 18ch mixer, CAD Mic's on the drums(mics included in the 7pc kit), 1- GXL2200 Condenser Mic(Main Overhead), and 2- GXL1200 Condenser's(Hi-Hat & Ride)

User Info Menu

DW,
    Excellent tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to provide such great information for the rest of us.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    DW,
    Excellent tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to provide such great information for the rest of us.
    No problem at all man, happy to help out if I can.

User Info Menu

Great lesson, thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Thanks man.

I use a Phonic Helix Firewire 18ch mixer, CAD Mic's on the drums(mics included in the 7pc kit), 1- GXL2200 Condenser Mic(Main Overhead), and 2- GXL1200 Condenser's(Hi-Hat & Ride)
    Hey man, no problem

How do you EQ this? I mean, your setup makes me get goosebumps when you play because my god, it sounds amazing.
    --Cody

User Info Menu

Hey bro thanks alot for the video, you're using pretty much the exact same mic setup/placement/ and programs that I had mapped out in my head for when I get some money so this vid gave alot of confidence in my plans.
    Thanks again
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

insane-asylym Guest

i have seen u on youtube before for salvation by 5fdp i think it was. anyway major props watching freebird right now

User Info Menu

Good stuff, Kevin.

Thank you!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey man, no problem

How do you EQ this? I mean, your setup makes me get goosebumps when you play because my god, it sounds amazing.
    There is just minor EQ'ing from the mixer, that is all the effects I use, and I just tweak with the EQ enough to make them sound as natural as I can. It is just a matter of trial and error and some good headphones. Thank you man.

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Hey bro thanks alot for the video, you're using pretty much the exact same mic setup/placement/ and programs that I had mapped out in my head for when I get some money so this vid gave alot of confidence in my plans.
    Thanks again
    Glad I could help out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by insane-asylym View Post
    i have seen u on youtube before for salvation by 5fdp i think it was. anyway major props watching freebird right now
    Thank you. the FFDP song was actually Meet The Monster lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Good stuff, Kevin.

Thank you!!
    Thank man.

User Info Menu

I know this might not be your thing seeing as you actually HAVE a mixer, but do you have any sort of experience with the downloadable mixing programs like Audacity or MixCraft? I used to use MixCraft, but only like twice and never experimented with the effects.
    I also understand that with a mixing software, you're pretty much limited to using one mic through USB unless you have some kind of board like you.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I know this might not be your thing seeing as you actually HAVE a mixer, but do you have any sort of experience with the downloadable mixing programs like Audacity or MixCraft? I used to use MixCraft, but only like twice and never experimented with the effects.
    I also understand that with a mixing software, you're pretty much limited to using one mic through USB unless you have some kind of board like you.
    Unfortunately I do not have any experiance with either of those programs, but I do believe Pastor Bob does, sorry I couldn't be more helpful man.

But I am certain to record with several mic's, you will in fact need a mixer, and will not be able to achieve this with just a computer software alone.

User Info Menu

Excellent job on the tutorial Kevin.

Yes, I do use Audacity, and I am sure that Kevin's software will run rings around mine. Free software rarely ranks up there with the best, but it does allow you to get your foot in the door so that you can get some experience.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Kevin...That was an excellent tutorial! You know, I have never once considered that I might want to record my sessions like you do. I mean, most of what I play is jazz and who wants to listen to that? I recently ordered a new computer that will now allow me to utilize my DVD camcorder and I am anxious to do so. I am very intrigued about using mics and mixer's etc. Maybe I've just found myself a new hobby?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Kevin: are those mics general purpose mics, or strictly studio mics.

I talked to a good friend of mine at a music shop and he suggested to go with those or to go with the Peavey, but the latter is really aimed more towards live sound than recording

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Excellent job on the tutorial Kevin.

Yes, I do use Audacity, and I am sure that Kevin's software will run rings around mine. Free software rarely ranks up there with the best, but it does allow you to get your foot in the door so that you can get some experience.
    Open Source is always the best software, and its free.
    --Cody

User Info Menu

LOL, I love the part where you ask to be PM'd and not be peed on! hahahahaha!!!

Seriously Kev, What kind of camera are you using?

Sounds silly, but I've had major headaches trying to do mine as it seems maybe the tape is stretched or something because while I record everything sounds great and together and I'm happy. Then at playback the video slowly loses time to the audio, about half way through and I know it's not me since I'd have heard myself as out while playing.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    LOL, I love the part where you ask to be PM'd and not be peed on! hahahahaha!!!

Seriously Kev, What kind of camera are you using?

Sounds silly, but I've had major headaches trying to do mine as it seems maybe the tape is stretched or something because while I record everything sounds great and together and I'm happy. Then at playback the video slowly loses time to the audio, about half way through and I know it's not me since I'd have heard myself as out while playing.
    Funny thing is I only use my Canon Digital Camera. I would try a digital camera or new digital camcorder, there may just be some issues with your camera.

User Info Menu

Kevin: are those mics general purpose mics, or strictly studio mics.

I talked to a good friend of mine at a music shop and he suggested to go with those or to go with the Peavey, but the latter is really aimed more towards live sound than recording

Open Source is always the best software, and its free.
    They are general purpose, meaning I have used them a lot for live gigs(and they rock BTW) and obviously in the studio, I think for the money you can't beat'em, and I would strongly recommend them over peavey's anyday.

User Info Menu

Funny thing is I only use my Canon Digital Camera. I would try a digital camera or new digital camcorder, there may just be some issues with your camera.
    So you're not recording to tape... you're recording to a digital media, ie memory stick or flash card or similar chip.

Must be a varience in my tape because like I said, the playback falls in and out of time, yet I know i was in time while playing because I would have heard it.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    So you're not recording to tape... you're recording to a digital media, ie memory stick or flash card or similar chip.

Must be a varience in my tape because like I said, the playback falls in and out of time, yet I know i was in time while playing because I would have heard it.
    That's it, my video is recorded onto my 4gb memory card in my digital camera.

User Info Menu

They are general purpose, meaning I have used them a lot for live gigs(and they rock BTW) and obviously in the studio, I think for the money you can't beat'em, and I would strongly recommend them over peavey's anyday.
    I think the only reason I'm looking at getting the Peavey's is because I'm going to spend another $100 on cables, which would ultimately cost more in the long run if I went with the CADs.

I'll keep looking though.

Thanks for the input man, its really appreciated.
    --Cody

User Info Menu

Man, I wish I had you knowledge on this kind of stuff! Trial and error I guess...I'll get it down one of these days!

Great vid Kev!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Man, I wish I had you knowledge on this kind of stuff! Trial and error I guess...I'll get it down one of these days!

Great vid Kev!!
    I am still very much in the learning process, and you are absolutely right, a ton of trial and error, thanks.