Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drum mics...

User Info Menu

Default drum mics...

Hey gang, now that I have a nice quality kit, I want to make some really nice recordings of them. This means some mics and a mixer. I have both Audacity and Garage Band on my MAC.

Here's the catch... I know nothing about this. My budget is small and the mixers I see have like 4 XLR inputs and 6 extra 1/4" inputs. What's the difference?

Why the different connectors? Does it matter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-09-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum mics...

Wish I could help but I am in the same boat you are! I have all the mics I need but I leave the hook up stuff to my guitarist! lol

What kind of mics are you getting?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

The xlr's are for mics and the 1/4 inch are for line input. You can get adapters to allow mics to be hooked to the 1/4 inchers. They are different impedances and the adaptor matches that and allows for a different style connection.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    The xlr's are for mics and the 1/4 inch are for line input. You can get adapters to allow mics to be hooked to the 1/4 inchers. They are different impedances and the adaptor matches that and allows for a different style connection.
    So I couldn't just get the XLR to 1/4" cable?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

If your mixer has an impedance(might say line/mic) switch for the 1/4 inch inputs, usually next to the inputs or below, than you can just use the cable, otherwise you need to match the impedance.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Basically man the XLR are the only one's you should really use. Reason is the impedance is different on the 1/4" inputs, so they will sound horrible, trust me I have been there and done that. If all you have are 4 XLR and you are tight on funds to get a bigger mixer, this is what I suggest.

Mic the kick, mic the snare, and run two Overhead mic's(require's phantom power & XLR inputs), and this will get you a very tasty sound I promise, but I would not even bother with the 1/4" you will only be disappointed.

I use my 1/4" to plug in my Ipod, so I can here my drums and the Ipod all thru the mixer, and onto my headphone, it is very cool, you will dig it.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

if you match the impedance they won't sound horrible. I've been in electronics since about 64 (just a note to say I know of what i am speaking).
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Basically man the XLR are the only one's you should really use. Reason is the impedance is different on the 1/4" inputs, so they will sound horrible, trust me I have been there and done that. If all you have are 4 XLR and you are tight on funds to get a bigger mixer, this is what I suggest.

Mic the kick, mic the snare, and run two Overhead mic's(require's phantom power & XLR inputs), and this will get you a very tasty sound I promise, but I would not even bother with the 1/4" you will only be disappointed.

I use my 1/4" to plug in my Ipod, so I can here my drums and the Ipod all thru the mixer, and onto my headphone, it is very cool, you will dig it.
    Gotcha. Thanks, bro. I haven't bought anything yet. Just doing my homework up front.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

if you match the impedance they won;t sound horrible
    I have never tried this, so I am pleading the 5th lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks, bro. I haven't bought anything yet. Just doing my homework up front.
    No Problem. Sounds like charlyG know's his stuff, maybe try the adaptors also, just not on the Condensers, they require phantom power & XLR.

I would also recommend the CAD's 7pc Mic set over the Nady. The Nady is just not very good quality at all, and then CAD's come with very cool clips to mount directly to your rim, very nice feature, then you will not have to buy stands. just my .02

User Info Menu

cool, thanks.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

For a 5 piece , are 7 mics needed? and how do you hook em up fer cymbals? I'm interested in getting a few mics too. I only have 3 cymbals and hats plus the 5 piece.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

The 7 piece CAD kit I was looking at is the same one Kev has. It's 5 cardoids for kick, snare, 3 toms and then 2 condensors for overheads.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

As long as your mixer has phantom power, and you plug into the XLRs, you can run the condensers, just not through the 1/4 inch as that feature is not available on any mixer I have seen. The condensers need the third wire that the XLR has. Sounds like ima gonna get em too. I saw new ones on ebay for 120 with 15 dollar shipping.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

For a 5 piece , are 7 mics needed? and how do you hook em up fer cymbals? I'm interested in getting a few mics too. I only have 3 cymbals and hats plus the 5 piece.
    If you want to mic everything on a 5pc, then yes 7 mic's will need to be used. 1 for kick, 1 for snare, 1 for ea. tom, and 2 OH mic's, the 7pc CAD would compliment your set-up beautifully.

The 7 piece CAD kit I was looking at is the same one Kev has. It's 5 cardoids for kick, snare, 3 toms and then 2 condensors for overheads.
    Yep you got it man, and they are fantastic, specially the little condensors, I have played a lot of shows with those, and the sound guys are just blown away by how good they sound.

As long as your mixer has phantom power, and you plug into the XLRs, you can run the condensers, just not through the 1/4 inch as that feature is not available on any mixer I have seen. The condensers need the third wire that the XLR has. Sounds like ima gonna get em too. I saw new ones on ebay for 120 with 15 dollar shipping.
    Perfectly said CharlyG, condensors require phantom power and an XLR input in order to work. Thats a great price for those CAD's, grab'em.

User Info Menu

i dont wanna sound dumb or anything but i can record all the bands parts with a mixer ? or will i have get the 8 track recorder ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    i dont wanna sound dumb or anything but i can record all the bands parts with a mixer ? or will i have get the 8 track recorder ?
    Depends on the mixer and the recording software.

User Info Menu

pro tools and a 200 dollar mixer
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Hey gang, now that I have a nice quality kit, I want to make some really nice recordings of them. This means some mics and a mixer. I have both Audacity and Garage Band on my MAC.

Here's the catch... I know nothing about this. My budget is small and the mixers I see have like 4 XLR inputs and 6 extra 1/4" inputs. What's the difference?

Why the different connectors? Does it matter?

Thanks!
    Charly is bang on,
    line transformers are all you need for the 1/4 connections,
    make sure there is enough distance between the 1/4 connectors though, some of the boards stick the 1/4 inchers close together and the transformers can be a tight squeeze on the board sometimes, I have a pic of one if ya aint sure what they are.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I'm very interested in this thread.. I have been looking to record my kit as well. I just installed Audacity on my PC..I have access to a mixer and mics
    (CAD pro 7) at our rehearsal studio..Stay tuned for some really dumb questions..
    -Les

User Info Menu

I just want to mic my 4 piece set up, i was looking at the CAD pro 4, which has 2 toms, 1 kick, 1 snare.

But do i need 2 overheads? are those for cymbals, ect...?

I have no idea what to do for micing.

EDIT:-any suggestions on a mixer that i can mic a 4 piece kit, line in a guitar, a bass? and possibly input for a singer?
    Last edited by Zeta; 03-09-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    I'm very interested in this thread.. I have been looking to record my kit as well. I just installed Audacity on my PC..I have access to a mixer and mics
    (CAD pro 7) at our rehearsal studio..Stay tuned for some really dumb questions..
    -Les
    Bring them on man, there is no dumb questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I just want to mic my 4 piece set up, i was looking at the CAD pro 4, which has 2 toms, 1 kick, 1 snare.

But do i need 2 overheads? are those for cymbals, ect...?

I have no idea what to do for micing.

EDIT:-any suggestions on a mixer that i can mic a 4 piece kit, line in a guitar, a bass? and possibly input for a singer?
    If you have a 4pc kit, I would still recommend the 7pc CAD set or better 7pc set. I also recommend using overheads as they really warm your kit up and add the cymbals very nicely, but you could get away with the 4pc, you just won't hear the cymbals very good at all.

To record a band, I would recommend a mixer with firewire and enough XLR input to mic everything. Just my .02

User Info Menu

Alright so the CAD pro 7, or another good quality 7 piece.

then for the mixer i want 7 XLR's and and enough 1/4 inputs for the rest of the band?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Alright so the CAD pro 7, or another good quality 7 piece.

then for the mixer i want 7 XLR's and and enough 1/4 inputs for the rest of the band?
    Yep, that would set you up real nice.

User Info Menu

1/4 inch is evil. its unballanced which doesnt allow for noise that happens down the line, and the impedance issues. Best desks to get are either a 18ch or a 24ch presonus firewire Thats what im gonna get, allows for individual track inputs :> YAY cant wait for it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters