Thread: Ankle weights

User Info Menu

Default Ankle weights

Hey im now wearing 5 lb ankle weights while I practice to build my muscles and achieve greater chops. At first its hard to drum and control your bass drums volume but after 5 minutes you get used to it and just jam then after practicing I chop out as long as I can and I noticed exactly which muscles I was using because they hurt. What do you guys think about my new practice method? Insane,pointless, great....

p.s when i got up to walk I fell flat on my face because the weights while drumming and sitting made walking so unexpectactly hard.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ankle weights

Sounds like you overdid it. Careful with this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Sounds like you overdid it. Careful with this.
    How do you over do it?
    my drumline instructor tells us to go as far as you can then keep going when we chop out

User Info Menu

If you want to work your legs out without the weights, just get a double pedal like me a PDP402, it feels like I have weights on my ankles using it.

User Info Menu

If you cannot walk that good, you have over done it. Building muscle means tearing muscle. If you tear too much the result is pain and it will take longer for the muscles to repair. I think PB can explain this in greater depth.

User Info Menu

When I was drumming I felt the muscles in the upper shin because I use heel up while heel down uses your calf as you know the walking issue was becuase I just got up from sitting for an hour and I have to turn left while standing over my seet and make sure as to not hit the stands with my right foot and the limited space and not walking for awhile plus the weight made me trip not because my muscles were tired.

User Info Menu

I seen in a drum mag yesterday, weights that go on your sticks, or weighted sticks. I guess it would serve the same purpose with your wrists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    I seen in a drum mag yesterday, weights that go on your sticks, or weighted sticks. I guess it would serve the same purpose with your wrists.
    Ive seen stick weights by promark they looked pretty cool.

User Info Menu

I am not so sure about the effectiveness of ankle weights, unless you use your thighs most of the time. The muscles that control the foot are located in the lower leg and are hardly affected by ankle weights. Increasing the tension on the pedals will be a real workout for your foot and lower leg muscles. This is analogous to wrist weights; no effect on the hands and fingers but good for the biceps/triceps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    I am not so sure about the effectiveness of ankle weights, unless you use your thighs most of the time. The muscles that control the foot are located in the lower leg and are hardly affected by ankle weights. Increasing the tension on the pedals will be a real workout for your foot and lower leg muscles. This is analogous to wrist weights; no effect on the hands and fingers but good for the biceps/triceps.
    I'm gonna have to agree here I think. Mechanically speaking, areas such as the ankle and wrist don't contain muscle themselves, so their movement is the result of surrounding muscles, ie forearm and calf/shin. The muscle in front of the shin is obviously there to life the foot, and in heel down drumming, this overextends the muscle beyond it's normal range, generally designed for walking, hence why allot of drummers find this muscle is the first to start hurting. An ankle wieght specifically, without applying any actual weight to the foot would do little to increase the tension on the muscles, unless, as stated, your movement is more from the hip flexor muscles, where the weight would actually be bearing, as this muscle will move the whole leg.

Wrist weight pose the same issue, as unless your technique involves a full arm movement, it's benefit would be minimal. Weighted sticks would serve much better, as ther muscle groups require to do the movement will be directly affected. For the feet, adding weight or tension to make the pedal itself more difficult to move will also have the more benefit.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

There is no shortcut, just play and forget gimmicks
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I got enough weight around my ankles thank you........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post

I thought it was a little bit higher than that, closer to the thigh region.....

Did I just say that out loud - -I'm in trouble NOW!
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Years ago I heard of Gene Hoglan doing this. I'm talking early 90's when he was in Dark Angel or Death..Well of course I tried it as Gene is the best Metal Drummer ever and to be honest with you the thing I noticed was it held my ankles in place. Playing heel up during fast double bass patterns it kept my feet directly above my pedals. It did also add a little bit more punch during straight beat patterns. Well years later around 2001 I was in Vancouver BC and had the pleasure of meeting Gene and going to a couple of rehearsals and a show of his. I got super excited when he got behind his old Pearl maple customs and strapped on his ankle weights. Next he proceeded to destroy everything with his ambidextrous approach. He also is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
    Come to think of it, I'm going to try this again. Leg warmers anyone???
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I thought it was a little bit higher than that, closer to the thigh region.....

Did I just say that out loud - -I'm in trouble NOW!

User Info Menu

I thought of an idea similar to this... I was wondering whether strapping weights to the beaters of my double pedal would help build endurance and speed.

I have yet to try it.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I like to practice how I perform. I like to build and work the exact muscles I need to use, for the exact purpose that I need to use them (and keeping things balanced to not cause injuries). For me, wearing the weights would slow down the muscle twitch, and then taking the weights off would cause a lack of control compared to what I just practiced.
    Your technique will also dictate how much it helps. You can work some muscles in your lower leg and foot, but it depends on your technique.

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Kankles?
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I would think that the weighting your ankles would work if you played heel up, but not heel down. Boxers often hold weights in their hands and go at a punching bag until they can't anymore, then when they take them off the punch harder and faster. I would assume that this strategy would work with drumming, strengthen the muscles and you will be able to use them faster and more controlled. And if you can't walk afterward, that means you got an intense workout, which is a good thing, it means your building muscle. Or you are just uncoordinated, which is a possibility.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank